Re: Paul Scholes

The EFL have already looked into it. From the BBC:
The ex-England midfielder owns a 10% stake in National League club Salford City along with five former Manchester United team-mates.

However, a holding of 10% or less in a club is disregarded providing it is held "purely for investment purposes".
So, they gauge no conflict.

Anyway, experience in the recent past with Oldham and their managers means he's not likely to be there come next season.

NearlyDead wrote: experience in the recent past with Oldham and their managers means he's not likely to be there come next season.
:lol:

I'm astonished that it's not seen as a conflict. Imagine if it went into the final game of the season, Oldham were safely mid-table and were playing at Salford who only needed a point for survival. Does anyone really think Scholes would send his strongest side out to give 100% in that scenario? The potential for 'gaming' the outcome - or even the appearance of gaming the outcome - would be significant.

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
NearlyDead wrote: experience in the recent past with Oldham and their managers means he's not likely to be there come next season.
:lol:

I'm astonished that it's not seen as a conflict. Imagine if it went into the final game of the season, Oldham were safely mid-table and were playing at Salford who only needed a point for survival. Does anyone really think Scholes would send his strongest side out to give 100% in that scenario? The potential for 'gaming' the outcome - or even the appearance of gaming the outcome - would be significant.
Wow. So lovely for me to be able to agree with someone, anyone!!!!!

Of course it's a massive conflict of interest. But then again everyone always went easy on Scholes. Every time the nasty little thug kicked someone all we ever heard was, Scholes just can't tackle.

I don't see a problem with 10%, but I suppose there is an argument that he might have influence over his mates who together hold 50% in the club (IIRC). But then, how much influence do the gang of 5 (or is it 6 now) have on day-to-day running of Salford FC? Maybe nothing. One hopes the EFL/FA have taken everything into consideration.

Kairdiff Exile wrote:Being agreed with by Stan is like admiring a nun - it's okay as long as you don't get into the habit.
You'd be surprised at how many PM's I've had down the years from people who ended up agreeing with me.

I it usually happens when people are personally effected. If you don't get a ticket at about 5-30 on Saturday you'll begin to see what I mean.

Trust me.

NearlyDead wrote:The EFL have already looked into it. From the BBC:
The ex-England midfielder owns a 10% stake in National League club Salford City along with five former Manchester United team-mates.

However, a holding of 10% or less in a club is disregarded providing it is held "purely for investment purposes".
So, they gauge no conflict.

Anyway, experience in the recent past with Oldham and their managers means he's not likely to be there come next season.
Prophetic or what? :shock: