Record attendance

Surface
Grass

Construction
Opened

Expanded

Construction cost
£7 million

How much would it cost in today's money to build something similar to Newport Stadium?

How much of the cost would have been spent on the running track , long jump lane and pit ? *( That was quite costly )

Most of the cost would have been for the main stand and car park as it was just grass banks around the rest of the pitch .
Using those figure you quote £ 5 million for the rest ??? Cant see how that was mind you as they didnt have to buy the land
If what you say is correct about the land. How would one go about finding out who owned the land in the first place? Do you think that might come under the Uk's freedom of information act?

Re: New training ground?

neilcork68 wrote:As it was Spytty Park I would assume the council already owned the land...There were about three good cricket pitches that were used in the area of the car park main stand

Would you happen to know whether there are any pictures of the area before the stadium was built and of areas that all the cricketers had access to?

The Newport wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:As it was Spytty Park I would assume the council already owned the land...There were about three good cricket pitches that were used in the area of the car park main stand

Would you happen to know whether there are any pictures of the area before the stadium was built and of areas that all the cricketers had access to?
If you google Spytty Park photos then several come up including one in July 1990 of the proposed cricket pitches. Interesting to also read a copy of the Argus saying that Newport Council wanted the main pitch to be to County standard so that Glamorgan’s one day games could be held there. A commitment similar to that for County to have a League standard ground!

The Newport wrote:

Tried looking , cant find any yet... I do know I played cricket on a pitch that was about where the Bar Amber was...Hit the ball onto the road ( pre SDR) many times.....Pretty handy with a cricket bat I was :lol:

I see Exeter's redevelopment was stated at £3.5m for the side stand and a small one behind the goal. Therefore, to make Spytty a viable football league ground I suppose you'd look at losing the track, turning the pitch and needing to do something on 2 sides. So the Exeter figure would just about cover the 2 sides then there would be re-laying of a pitch. Other bits and pieces - maybe £4.5-5m total if we needed to make the stadium fit for the league. Obviously much less for starters as a training base but longer term those would be the kind of numbers we'd need if it was our negotiating position against the WRU.

The Newport wrote:Newport Stadium :

Capacity
5,058 (3,246 seated)

Record attendance

Surface
Grass

Construction
Opened

Expanded

Construction cost
£7 million

How much would it cost in today's money to build something similar to Newport Stadium?
.............................................................................................................................................................
6,000 all-seater, with proper roofing + parking + FL required fitments + some training and office areas, about £10M depending on the standard of finish.

The Newport wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:
The Newport wrote:Newport Stadium :

Capacity
5,058 (3,246 seated)

Record attendance

Surface
Grass

Construction
Opened

Expanded

Construction cost
£7 million

How much of the cost would have been spent on the running track , long jump lane and pit ? *( That was quite costly )

Most of the cost would have been for the main stand and car park as it was just grass banks around the rest of the pitch .
Using those figure you quote £ 5 million for the rest ??? Cant see how that was mind you as they didnt have to buy the land
If what you say is correct about the land. How would one go about finding out who owned the land in the first place? Do you think that might come under the Uk's freedom of information act?
The land most probably would have been acquired at farmland values, but with a claw back if it were developed. I would guess that some of the money gained from selling Somerton Park was used for the claw back. However as Somerton Park ended up as a housing association development, it wouldn't have had a large value.

Also Spytty is partially owned by Newport Athletic Club, who were also moved to the site from elsewhere - Rodney Parade?

The Glebelands was a serious consideration before Spytty, but there were access issues. If the M4 diversion ever happens, access would be less of an issue as the current M4 would become the northern distributor road. The Glebelands however is on the floodplain, but then again so is Rodney Parade and Spytty for that matter.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:And having it as a "Plan B" makes little financial sense as you'd still need to spend the millions to bring it up to League standard as well as pay off the current users of the stadium.
So what is the solution if, as I expect, the WRU demand a huge increase in rent as their price for the lease renewal? As things stand we would find ourselves open to their financial blackmail as they know we have no fallback position,
The offer I would have in mind is no more than £250k for what I am sure the Council currently views as a liability. We would then also have 3 years to prepare for what may become the inevitable,
I was merely pointing out that to bring Newport Stadium up to any standard is going to cost many years of good cup runs which at the moment is County's only means of generating extra significant resources. Which isn't guaranteed.

I have no "Plan B". But I don't need one. The County BOD do need one. Or a "Plan A" which doesn't include staying at RP because that isn't guaranteed either and the costs of doing so possibly increase with any success in cup competitions that bring in additional revenue to the club.

I just think a more attractive "Plan A" or "Plan B" could be in building from anew. Thereby you don't have the additional costs of demolition which is almost certainly going to be the case with Newport Stadium. And paying off it's current users. And possibly buying the land from the Council. That could be quite a significant outlay even before you start building a Football League suitable stadium.

I want us to move on from the Newport Stadium option. It is a venue that we used to play at but which we outgrew. It remains in the past. Lets move forward towards a better future. That future isn't at a dilapidated stadium miles from anywhere. It's obvious that it's unlikely to be at RP which'll be a housing development in a few years time. Isn't it time our BOD gave us some indication of where that future might be?

wattsville_boy wrote:
Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:And having it as a "Plan B" makes little financial sense as you'd still need to spend the millions to bring it up to League standard as well as pay off the current users of the stadium.
So what is the solution if, as I expect, the WRU demand a huge increase in rent as their price for the lease renewal? As things stand we would find ourselves open to their financial blackmail as they know we have no fallback position,
The offer I would have in mind is no more than £250k for what I am sure the Council currently views as a liability. We would then also have 3 years to prepare for what may become the inevitable,
I was merely pointing out that to bring Newport Stadium up to any standard is going to cost many years of good cup runs which at the moment is County's only means of generating extra significant resources. Which isn't guaranteed.

I have no "Plan B". But I don't need one. The County BOD do need one. Or a "Plan A" which doesn't include staying at RP because that isn't guaranteed either and the costs of doing so possibly increase with any success in cup competitions that bring in additional revenue to the club.

I just think a more attractive "Plan A" or "Plan B" could be in building from anew. Thereby you don't have the additional costs of demolition which is almost certainly going to be the case with Newport Stadium. And paying off it's current users. And possibly buying the land from the Council. That could be quite a significant outlay even before you start building a Football League suitable stadium.

I want us to move on from the Newport Stadium option. It is a venue that we used to play at but which we outgrew. It remains in the past. Lets move forward towards a better future. That future isn't at a dilapidated stadium miles from anywhere. It's obvious that it's unlikely to be at RP which'll be a housing development in a few years time. Isn't it time our BOD gave us some indication of where that future might be?
There are far too many issues surrounding Rodney Parade being developed for housing, not least the cost of demolition and access issues. Everyone who concidered taking on the Dragons pulled out because they realised they wouldnt get development of the cabbage patch without significant development of Rodney Parade. The WRU only stepped in as they had a TV contact signed for 4 regions to protect.

The WRU are desperate to finish off the principality stadium and to do that they need to own the Arms Park, and Cardiff athletic club members are refusing to sell. I wonder if the WRU combine the Blues and the Dragons and play them out of Rodney Parade, makeing the Arms Park redundant, would that make a future sale more likely?