Re: Colwyn Bay - really sad news if true

£100k a year seems such a small amount but then I suppose their gates are low. Whether they'd be ripe for a SD fan owned scenario I don't know. It's hard to get fans to pump money in, month after month, at any level, but you'd like to think 200 fans could raise enough with the business community chipping in too.
Maybe they'll prosper under the new set up if allowed back in. Still disappointing to lose them though, and I do consider it a loss.

I don't really see it as sad. The truth is that to support football on a national stage you really need a large catchment. Cardiff, Swansea and Newport are big enough, Colwyn Bay isn't.

If you look at similar sized towns they have teams playing regional football. The Welsh League is not dissimilar to other leagues in England at tiers 6 to 9.

The problem that the Welsh League has is that there is no hope of progression. The mistake the late Mr Evans made was not in forming a National League but trying to force clubs to join. Newport, Cardiff, Swansea, Merthyr and Wrexham won't. I suspect every other Welsh club will. And had they not been forced would have done so a quarter of a century ago.

Hopefully they'll swap with TNS.

Don't think it's too sad though, it's an opportunity for them. Domestic football isn't as basic as it once was, particularly with the pyramid changes begin brought in over the next couple of seasons, there's the possibility of European football and the money from that - which has helped Connah's Quay turn professional. Depends on where they would be placed, I'd have them in the new Northern second tier if it was up to me, but after the FAW's treatment of Barry they could be anywhere.

Only have to look at what Caernarfon have done. Developed a team of local lads and are now regularly pulling in crowds of over 1000.

Don't think that list is accurate, Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham were not part of the eight.

Pretty sure the eight teams were Bangor, Rhyl, Barry, Caernarfon, Colwyn Bay, Merthyr, Newtown and us. Merthyr were quickly given an exemption and allowed to carry on as they were and everyone except us, Caernafon and Colwyn Bay folded like a pack of cards. Although Barry held out for one season playing home games in Worcester.