FA Cup Runs: Best Performance / Achievement

Last season we came back from one down to beat Leeds Utd. Then we came within 8 minutes of beating a strong Tottenham line-up.

This season we beat a top-flight team for the first time in 55 years when we played Leicester City. Then we came back to draw at Middlesbrough and outplayed them in the replay. Finally we held Premier League champions Manchester City for 55 minutes and the game was only settled in the final few minutes.

So what was our best performance / achievement in the FA Cup this season and last?

Re: FA Cup Runs: Best Performance / Achievement

Blackandamber wrote:Last season we came back from one down to beat Leeds Utd. Then we came within 8 minutes of beating a strong Tottenham line-up.

This season we beat a top-flight team for the first time in 55 years when we played Leicester City. Then we came back to draw at Middlesbrough and outplayed them in the replay. Finally we held Premier League champions Manchester City for 55 minutes and the game was only settled in the final few minutes.

So what was our best performance / achievement in the FA Cup this season and last?
So difficult a question to answer when we have achieved so much within a 2 year period in the FA cup compared with the remainder of our history. Also performance and achievement can be seen as two different things. Never thought I would argue for a greater achievement than beating a strong Premiership team i.e. Leicester.
But for the combination of reaching the 5th round, equalling the furthest ever, coupled with the quality of performance I have to agree with beating MIDDLESBROUGH.

Well I was immensely proud to be a County fan at half-time against Man City but it has to be Leicester for me. Still a very strong side they put out and to overcome a repeat of the Spurs game where they equalised late we could so easily have gone on and lost the game but the character to come back and win was unbelievable! Oh, and our performance at Wembley against Spurs wasn't half bad either - just wish Podge could have put that late chance away so we had a goal to cheer!

The best performance was against a strong Tottenham side and the best achievement was against Leicester.

Tottenham put out a side including Kane, Dier, Vertonegen and Trippier from the start, with Son coming on at the start of the 2nd half and Alli shortly afterwards. We came within 8 minutes of beating them and had more shorts on target than them.

Leicester City were the first top-flight team we've beaten since 1964, and also missing Vardy, played a strong side.

We totally outplayed Middlesborough in the replay, but they didn't seem that bothered. They had Stewart Downing on the bench but didn't use him. A great battling performance at Middlesborough with the late equaliser.

Manchester City were definitely the best side we faced so you could argue that it was our best performance again them by holding them for so long, but our performance against Spurs I think was even better.

Of we wouldn't have had a brilliant cup run at all if it wasn't for Day's saves and Demetriou's clearance off the line in that dreadful performance at Wrexham.

Blackandamber wrote:I should have asked which was the match which left you the happiest at the end. It has to be Leicester City. The feeling walking away from RP after that game was immense, to think that little Newport County had beaten a Premier League side, and one that had won the league 2 years before.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
I'm in agreement with you now. The memory of beating Sheffield Wednesday is a very faded one as I was only a boy, but the Leicester victory should stay vivid for the rest of my days. Barring dementia of course. Or am I suffering from it now?