Re: Colwyn Bay - really sad news if true

rncfc wrote:Don't think that list is accurate, Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham were not part of the eight.

Pretty sure the eight teams were Bangor, Rhyl, Barry, Caernarfon, Colwyn Bay, Merthyr, Newtown and us. Merthyr were quickly given an exemption and allowed to carry on as they were and everyone except us, Caernafon and Colwyn Bay folded like a pack of cards. Although Barry held out for one season playing home games in Worcester.
Caernarfon were part of the Court case to start with,but then realised that it would be impossible to sustain playing in exile in the English pyramid.The LOW teams were already selected if my memory serves me well,but the LOW were so happy to get them onside,they went straight into the top division meaning there was an odd number of teams in the LOW inaugural season.Can't remember how long it stayed an odd number.So,it was just Colwyn Bay,Barry and us who took the FAW to court for restraint of trade.

it is sad to see Colwyn Bay leave the English system. I mean they were in the conference north only a few seasons ago.
I would much rather them stay in the English leagues and have a go at promotion each year and try climb the pyramid again and also enter the FA cup each year, as opposed to the FAW set up.
However... those in charge of colwyn bay have stated that the club will fold if they stay in the English system.
In order to survive as a football club It seems it is now necessary to revert back to the FAW system, which I think was 1984 they were in the welsh system last.
I just hope this doesn't set a trend for Merthyr to follow. I doubt it, as Merthyr have more of a footballing set up in the town than Colwyn Bay have.

George Street-Bridge wrote:No, I'm sure Caernarfon were the third club who stuck it out as far as actually embarking on the court case once it became clear Evans, Forse and their cronies wouldn't see sense.

By the time it came to court Barry's owners were hand in glove with the FAW. I had a quiet chuckle when Barry themselves wound up suing the FAW years later.
Yes, it was definitely Caernarfon Town who were the third litigant. By then Barry had given up on staying in the English system. Technically Barry Town never played in England. It was a new club, Barri, formed by Barry's owners that played in England.

G Guest wrote: Yes, it was definitely Caernarfon Town who were the third litigant. By then Barry had given up on staying in the English system. Technically Barry Town never played in England. It was a new club, Barri, formed by Barry's owners that played in England.
Same club, with a different name to reflect their welsh roots whilst playing in Worcester.

SJG99 wrote:
G Guest wrote: Yes, it was definitely Caernarfon Town who were the third litigant. By then Barry had given up on staying in the English system. Technically Barry Town never played in England. It was a new club, Barri, formed by Barry's owners that played in England.
Same club, with a different name to reflect their welsh roots whilst playing in Worcester.
Yes, I believe that you are right. Barry Town continued to play at Jenner Park in the Barry and District League while Barri played at Worcester. But it was Barry Town that was the new club not Barri.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:I don't really see it as sad. The truth is that to support football on a national stage you really need a large catchment. Cardiff, Swansea and Newport are big enough, Colwyn Bay isn't.

If you look at similar sized towns they have teams playing regional football. The Welsh League is not dissimilar to other leagues in England at tiers 6 to 9.

The problem that the Welsh League has is that there is no hope of progression. The mistake the late Mr Evans made was not in forming a National League but trying to force clubs to join. Newport, Cardiff, Swansea, Merthyr and Wrexham won't. I suspect every other Welsh club will. And had they not been forced would have done so a quarter of a century ago.
You refer to a "national stage" which nation is this?

George Street-Bridge wrote:I often wonder how things would have turned out if they had started with north and south divisions and playoffs to decide overall placings. Around a dozen Welsh clubs might not have gone to the wall.
When you have clubs going bust because they can't afford petrol, it sort of highlights the extent of the hilarity.

lionelvc wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:I don't really see it as sad. The truth is that to support football on a national stage you really need a large catchment. Cardiff, Swansea and Newport are big enough, Colwyn Bay isn't.

If you look at similar sized towns they have teams playing regional football. The Welsh League is not dissimilar to other leagues in England at tiers 6 to 9.

The problem that the Welsh League has is that there is no hope of progression. The mistake the late Mr Evans made was not in forming a National League but trying to force clubs to join. Newport, Cardiff, Swansea, Merthyr and Wrexham won't. I suspect every other Welsh club will. And had they not been forced would have done so a quarter of a century ago.
Sorry to be pedantic but my use of the indefinite article means any national stage. My point being that the only way a League of Wales could have worked is had the premier teams from the largest population centres been involved. If Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts all decided to play in England....... well you get my drift.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
lionelvc wrote:

Sorry to be pedantic but my use of the indefinite article means any national stage. My point being that the only way a League of Wales could have worked is had the premier teams from the largest population centres been involved. If Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts all decided to play in England....... well you get my drift.
Pedantic? Brendan, I can beat you hands down! Surely it is 'an' indefinite article, not 'the' indefinite article. The word 'the' that you used is the definite article. The word 'an' is an example of an indefinite article. Somebody cleverer than me may correct me though.
Boring Sunday afternoons eh? just a bit of fun before someone mentions it. I get your point though which is the important thing.
Mr Pedant.

pembsexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
lionelvc wrote:
Pedantic? Brendan, I can beat you hands down! Surely it is 'an' indefinite article, not 'the' indefinite article. The word 'the' that you used is the definite article. The word 'an' is an example of an indefinite article. Somebody cleverer than me may correct me though.
Boring Sunday afternoons eh? just a bit of fun before someone mentions it. I get your point though which is the important thing.
Mr Pedant.
Evening Mike,

At the risk of sounding like Sir Humphrey. When referring to a defined indefinite article, as I did, one would refer to the indefinite article. When referring to an indefinite indefinite article, then of course it should be an indefinite article.

Now a teaser to while away a boring Sunday evening. Punctuate the following.

That that is is that that is not is not is that it it is.

Have fun.