remaining fixtures

I know league position goes out the window this time of the season as we proved in the great escape, but Northampton is the highest placed away fixture, the other 4 are against bottom 6 teams, the tougher games are actually at RP and I'd rather it that way round.

If we can get on that run then who knows but we really shouldn't fear any of the final 5 away games because nobody likes coming to RP. One game at a time but it would be great to win Tuesday to get things going.

Re: remaining fixtures

Absolutely Phil just another incentive to win. Fairplay though if we can win the majority of our home games then we really have nothing to fear away. The great catch up as opposed to the great escape and a lot of that dressing room know we can do this because they've done it before.

No f@cker likes us anyway as is proved by the sour grapes from opposing managers, supporters and players they never give us credit. Personally I'd like to see us say f@ck em all and shove it right down their throats the Newport way,its what we do its in our DNA.

Absolutely Phil and I was one of the supporters who met you and your wife in Northampton on the way to Rushden in the Conference South when you offered to buy every county fan who turned up a pint but hadn't bargained for a coachload of us turning up lol and we took you to and from the game.

I think you missed the point which was if we aren't thinking we can get a minimum of 12 away points from15 then we might as well wrap it in now. The first block in that is Northampton away which on paper is the hardest game to win. Bloody hell even if we lose that I'd be thinking do well at home and we can win all our away games after that.

I'll stand by the sour grapes comments based on what I've seen and read.

The honest Newport attitude performances might just see us over the line, if not then performances that show it matters will always get applauded.

It’s the usual conundrum, we know we are capable of the performances required but in the bread and butter matches we just seem to blow it at the point just below the summit and get pushed back down the hill.

For me I’m always more anxious when everything seems to point to a victory. Invariably it’s a let down, such is our inconsistency. It’s this factor that gives encouragement for Tuesday. We are not going so well, Cobblers are hitting form, so we should get beat....

Just watch us play like superstars and get the win just to confuse us all

Always hopeful with a pessimistic streak I think sums up my outlook!

Phil in Npton

PS That day was amazing, a brilliant memory to treasure forever!

Yep great day that was Phil. I understand your outlook and we've been so close in many games that we really should've won, it's these performances that give me hope because we're a good side. Every game is a big game now and we seem to perform well in those scenarios. Looking at the league 5-6 wins for most teams seems to be the runs teams go on then usually they hit a losing streak so hopefully Northampton's run comes to an end tomorrow.

Hope we get the win for you Phil utc.

I'm quietly hopeful. Our downfall has been we've not really been able to find consistency so that chances of going on a 10 game unbeaten run are slim. However, most teams in and around us are the same so win 3 lose 1, win 3 lose 1 might be enough to sneak into the play-offs. Reality is though that my first priority is always when can we not be caught by the bottom two!

Collars wrote:I'm quietly hopeful. Our downfall has been we've not really been able to find consistency so that chances of going on a 10 game unbeaten run are slim. However, most teams in and around us are the same so win 3 lose 1, win 3 lose 1 might be enough to sneak into the play-offs. Reality is though that my first priority is always when can we not be caught by the bottom two!
We already have enough points to survive. If you look at points per game on current form about five clubs will finish below us even if we lose our final twelve games. And frankly even Westley would pick up a few points. Whilst one or perhaps two of the five might go on a run, I just don't see four of the five doing it.

excessbee wrote:On very recent form, two teams seem to be falling way short of survival, and we still have to play Macclesfield. That could be a good or bad thing. I fully expect someone to remind us all that, two seasons ago, the same was being said about us.
Notts County might survive, Macclesfield might. But we have enough points already.

excessbee wrote:On very recent form, two teams seem to be falling way short of survival, and we still have to play Macclesfield. That could be a good or bad thing. I fully expect someone to remind us all that, two seasons ago, the same was being said about us.
Macclesfield don't have Michael Flynn!

Macclesfield, after we play them will have just two fixtures remaining. I wonder that will be the match that determines relegation. I can recall ever being at a game that relegated our opponents. Cross that bridge when it comes, but of course it won't be down to us, but the outcome of poor results from August.

excessbee wrote:Macclesfield, after we play them will have just two fixtures remaining. I wonder that will be the match that determines relegation. I can recall ever being at a game that relegated our opponents. Cross that bridge when it comes, but of course it won't be down to us, but the outcome of poor results from August.
Home to Maidenhead on the last game of the season a few years back? Wasn't it the case that the loser gets relegated?