Time flies

If it ain't amber or ain't football then it belongs here!
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Time flies

Postby pembsexile » March 5th, 2019, 5:18 pm

Bit of boring information for some ahead - if you don't like music and time, please don't bother reading on.

Was in the gym earlier this afternoon doing a workout and listening on headphones to my favourite album of all time - DSOTM by Pink Floyd. I know that it was released in 1973 but it occurred to me in the gym that this was only 28 years after the end of the Second World War! 1973 is 46 years ago ffs. I have experience work colleagues who are younger than that.

To put it in perspective, it is the same time period between the Gulf War and now and the end of WW2 and the album release. I'm getting old.

Odd point as well, time is the name of one of the tracks on this concept album.
no avatar
User

newgroundrodney

Re: Time flies

Postby newgroundrodney » March 5th, 2019, 5:57 pm

My first clear memory of a track I liked, was 'This Flight Tonight' by Nazareth, which I believe was also in 1973.
I'm sure I was born too late going by my choice of music.
I like bands such as; Nazareth, Middle of the Road, Clout, Smokie... the first two of those four, in theory, I have no business knowing anything about, but I was brought up around music on the radio.
When I think that at 53 years of age, most of my favourite singers are now 'pensioners', it does show that time does fly.
no avatar
User

mad norm

In a Station Lane not as long as Warnhams

Postby mad norm » March 6th, 2019, 10:05 am

Just had a reminder of passing years...... I do facebook. (not serious time) and got a message from a fellow student at The Art College... Somehow saw my name.. Some familiar names meet up... Over 50 years ago.. Now I'm trying to call up the post which I'm struggling with...now that IS time flying
User

JonD

Corridor of Uncertainty

Postby JonD » March 6th, 2019, 10:11 am

Ha. I like (but don’t like!!) this type of stuff.

Like NGR, I feel I was born too late. The first gig I attended (Sophia Gardens, Cardiff) was Uriah Heep’s tenth anniversary tour. Ten years seemed an absurdly long time for a band to have endured.

Next year will be Uriah Heep’s 50th anniversary. They’re still just about rocking.
User

penycwm county

Pembrokeshire

Postby penycwm county » March 6th, 2019, 10:48 am

The Wizard of Oz is 80 yrs old this year, I wasn't at the opening but we have all probably watched it each Christmas
User

penycwm county

Pembrokeshire

Postby penycwm county » March 6th, 2019, 2:56 pm

just found this too !
38 years ago today....
European Cup County v Jena
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Postby pembsexile » March 6th, 2019, 11:25 pm

JonD wrote:Ha. I like (but don’t like!!) this type of stuff.

Like NGR, I feel I was born too late. The first gig I attended (Sophia Gardens, Cardiff) was Uriah Heep’s tenth anniversary tour. Ten years seemed an absurdly long time for a band to have endured.

Next year will be Uriah Heep’s 50th anniversary. They’re still just about rocking.

Uriah Heep, now there is a real band for you. Demons and Wizards, the album is something else. I remember the first time I heard the Wizard - RAF Henlow in 1975/76. Literally stopped me in my tracks. I have the track (not the whole album) on my iPad and I listen to it regularly in the gym.

He was the Wizard off a thousand kings
And I chanced to meet him some time wandering
He told me tales and he drank some wine
Me and my magic man kinda feeling fine.

Wow, I'm gonna get my iPad out now. Wonder if it's on YouTube.

Edit. It is, I just listened to two versions. Album version and what looks like a Top of the Pops version - never realised they released it as a single.
User

JonD

Corridor of Uncertainty

Postby JonD » March 7th, 2019, 6:58 am

According to Wikipedia it was released as a single in 1972, but I don’t think the world was quite ready (#34 in Germany, #86 in Canada, #8 in Switzerland).

World War 2 ended 18 years before I was born. As a child this seemed a vast expanse of time, rendering the war completely irrelevant to me, even though we had an air raid shelter down the road in the Graig Park estate.

Soberingly, my date of birth is now nearer to the start of the Great War than it is to the present day.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » March 7th, 2019, 7:11 pm

JonD wrote:According to Wikipedia it was released as a single in 1972, but I don’t think the world was quite ready (#34 in Germany, #86 in Canada, #8 in Switzerland).

World War 2 ended 18 years before I was born. As a child this seemed a vast expanse of time, rendering the war completely irrelevant to me, even though we had an air raid shelter down the road in the Graig Park estate.

Soberingly, my date of birth is now nearer to the start of the Great War than it is to the present day.

I remember that air raid shelter. Posters in black and amber were stuck up on in advertising County's upcoming fixtures. I don't think it was knocked down until the late '60's or early '70s. There was another shelter close by on the Malpas Road. Just north of the Bettws Lane turning.
no avatar
User

newgroundrodney

Postby newgroundrodney » March 8th, 2019, 10:09 pm

...."in the chocolate box of life, the top layer's already gone....." (The Likely Lads).
no avatar
User

chepstowamber

Chepstow, Monmouthshire

Postby chepstowamber » March 11th, 2019, 6:58 pm

I can remember seeing Curved air doing 'Back street luv' on Top of the Pops. That must have been 1972-3, I wonder what Sonja looks like now.
Chris
no avatar
User

tommy tinman

Postby tommy tinman » March 11th, 2019, 9:03 pm

hawkwind 72 or 73 windsor free festival great time until plod broke it up
User

phil_in_npton

Postby phil_in_npton » March 12th, 2019, 6:32 am

Good Morning!

A few musical memories of mine....

First record I bought was “cum on feel the noise” by Slade, not sure of spelling, they mucked it about a bit!

My musical crush was Lynsey de Paul, I recently googled her and A. Didn’t realise she had died and B. Didn’t realise what a colourful life she’d had with the stars in film, music and life, Ringo Starr, George Best among many others.

I wasn’t a big “gig” goer, however I did go to see “”The Dooleys” at Reading Hexagon and Lonnie Donegan in a pub in town. ( and Paco Pena at the Stables in MK with Cleo Laine )

Like a lot of you I’m sure, still got a case of vinyl Lp’s and singles in the attic. God knows what the kids will think when they sort out my stuff when I’m gone!

Phil in Npton