Re: The annual Wrexham chokeathon

JonD wrote:Oh Neil. You'd done so well, I was nodding in agreement, but right at the end you lost all your points for using the word "plastics".
IMO 85 -90%+ of the extra 5200 fans that turned up to the big games have little or no interest in Newport County until we draw a 'glamour side' , that why I classed them as 'plastics'.
I see little evidence that we( the club) are doing the correct thing to attract these extra fans that attended these so called 'glamour games' to the 'bread and butter games' ( League 2 games) so growing the 'core base ' of fans is hardly likely to increase unless the team hit a wonderful rich vein of form next season and are in among the promotion contenders ALL SEASON or we have a 'BIG 'cup draw.
Even little things like keeping the board that advertises our next game on the SDR that hasn't been updated by anyone at the club for months. The Dragons do it so why cant we ? ( blooming heck , send Crofts , he has done bugger all all season to do the job , then again he would probably pull his hamstring getting up and down the ladder , or get a splinter that would get infected and miss another couple of months) :wink: :lol:
We cant rely on money from the cups keeping us afloat.Last years money was swallowed up in running the club and we banked very little of the £700,000 windfall we made . We have the money from this season but almost EVERY FAN would agree that we got lucky and managed to get a draw away at Wrexham. They were far better than us in the first tie and should have beaten us) , where would we be then . A mid table side without a pot to pee in with terrible form for a few months?

neilcork68 wrote:
JonD wrote:Oh Neil. You'd done so well, I was nodding in agreement, but right at the end you lost all your points for using the word "plastics".
IMO 85 -90%+ of the extra 5200 fans that turned up to the big games have little or no interest in Newport County until we draw a 'glamour side' , that why I classed them as 'plastics'.
I see little evidence that we( the club) are doing the correct thing to attract these extra fans that attended these so called 'glamour games' to the 'bread and butter games' ( League 2 games) so growing the 'core base ' of fans is hardly likely to increase unless the team hit a wonderful rich vein of form next season and are in among the promotion contenders ALL SEASON or we have a 'BIG 'cup draw.
Even little things like keeping the board that advertises our next game on the SDR that hasn't been updated by anyone at the club for months. The Dragons do it so why cant we ? ( blooming heck , send Crofts , he has done bugger all all season to do the job , then again he would probably pull his hamstring getting up and down the ladder , or get a splinter that would get infected and miss another couple of months) :wink: :lol:
We cant rely on money from the cups keeping us afloat.Last years money was swallowed up in running the club and we banked very little of the £700,000 windfall we made . We have the money from this season but almost EVERY FAN would agree that we got lucky and managed to get a draw away at Wrexham. They were far better than us in the first tie and should have beaten us) , where would we be then . A mid table side without a pot to pee in with terrible form for a few months?

‘Unless the team hit a wonderful rich vein of form next season’ ? We’ve won 10, drawn 4 and lost just 3 of our 17 home league games so far, have beaten Wrexham, Middlesbrough & Leicester in the FA Cup at home, so I assume you mean new fans are being put off by our away form?

Just be grateful that our results haven’t mirrored your ‘predictions’ as we’d be relegated by now..
Last edited by Exile 1976 on March 13th, 2019, 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neilcork68 wrote:We have the money from this season but almost EVERY FAN would agree that we got lucky and managed to get a draw away at Wrexham. They were far better than us in the first tie and should have beaten us) , where would we be then . A mid table side without a pot to pee in with terrible form for a few months?
**** me, I hope I never end up at a party with you.

For every step forward we always take one or two backwards because of our form. ( away).
The Newport public have for as long as I can remember always been a fickle lot and will not support a team who are mid table ( like we are) . If we were in the top three all season then the gates would increase IMO

I dont have the answers but we did well against Man City then beat Notts County. We lost to MKD away and the next home game the crowds were back to the average. If we had managed to beat MKD we may have had an extra few hundred at the Carlisle game because we were building up a head of steam , playing ok and challenging for the play offs.Since then we have lost two away games in a week.
We will be lucky to break the 3000 mark on Friday for a localish derby, IMO.....If we had continued a good run of form and got one or possibly two results ( even draws ) we may have got closer to 4000 on Friday.

neilcork68 wrote:For every step forward we always take one or two backwards because of our form. ( away).
The Newport public have for as long as I can remember always been a fickle lot and will not support a team who are mid table ( like we are) . If we were in the top three all season then the gates would increase IMO

I dont have the answers but we did well against Man City then beat Notts County. We lost to MKD away and the next home game the crowds were back to the average. If we had managed to beat MKD we may have had an extra few hundred at the Carlisle game because we were building up a head of steam , playing ok and challenging for the play offs.Since then we have lost two away games in a week.
We will be lucky to break the 3000 mark on Friday for a localish derby, IMO.....If we had continued a good run of form and got one or possibly two results ( even draws ) we may have got closer to 4000 on Friday.
Well observed. Any other obvious facts of life you wish to share with us?

rncfc wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:For every step forward we always take one or two backwards because of our form. ( away).

Well observed. Any other obvious facts of life you wish to share with us?

Unless its a promotion party I will make sure I am never at a party with you my 'ole mate'.....You stick to your Tennents Extra , I will stick to my Pimms and Champers :wink:

Cucumber sandwich anybody ???? Vol au vent ???? , prawn sandwich ???? Quiche ????

neilcork68 wrote:
And didn't they play with 10 men for 78 minutes in the replay .

rncfc wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:We have the money from this season but almost EVERY FAN would agree that we got lucky and managed to get a draw away at Wrexham. They were far better than us in the first tie and should have beaten us) , where would we be then . A mid table side without a pot to pee in with terrible form for a few months?

He does not realise that if we had gone out against Wrexham our league form would not have suffered so drastically and would possibly be in the play offs.

Alan G Bryant wrote:
rncfc wrote:

He does not realise that if we had gone out against Wrexham our league form would not have suffered so drastically and would possibly be in the play offs.
Would not? That's a bit absolute isn't it? You have no idea if what you said would have come true or not. It might have suffered and it might nor have.

Alan G Bryant wrote:
rncfc wrote:

In fairness you don't know that though

True , by the same logical argument Cork cannot say with any certainty that we would still be mid table . Results dictate the next serious of results as the teams selected and the lethargy in the legs are direct consequence of the effort exerted during our cup run. The team selected at Grimsby being the case in point.

Anyone who does not think that the cup run has had a direct impact on our league form is wrong in my view,