New laws for 2019/20

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

Snowman

Posts

259

New laws for 2019/20

Postby Snowman » March 14th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Some good changes to the laws of the game have just been announced for next season. Most of them should prevent time wasting

http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documents/786/111531_110319_IFAB_LoG_at_a_Glance.pdf

A quick summary of the main changes for those who don't want to read the whole document

Drop balls
Now to be dropped to 1 player only. GK if in the PA and if outside a player from the team who last had possession of the ball

Free kicks
Attackers will no longer be able to insert themselves into a defensive wall when a wall has 3 or more players. Attackers must be 1m from the wall

Goal kicks and free kicks inside the PA
The ball no longer needs to leave the PA to be in play. Its now in play as soon as it is kicked

Handball
Some good clarification of when handball is an offense although I doubt it will stop the confusion

Penalty Kicks
GK now only needs to have part of 1 foot on the goal line when the kick is taken

Substitutions
Players being substituted must now leave the field of play at the nearest line (either touch line or goal line)
no avatar
User

rncfc

Posts

3794

Location

Caerphilly

Re: New laws for 2019/20

Postby rncfc » March 14th, 2019, 6:28 pm

That last one is going to make for some classic banter on occasions.
no avatar
User

excessbee

Posts

3816

Re: New laws for 2019/20

Postby excessbee » March 14th, 2019, 6:35 pm

It was sometimes easy to decide who was about to be substituted because he would make his way to the far touchline. I guess he'll now be found standing on the centre spot!
User avatar
User

Amberexile

Posts

6267

Location

Sheffield

Re: New laws for 2019/20

Postby Amberexile » March 14th, 2019, 8:32 pm

excessbee wrote:It was sometimes easy to decide who was about to be substituted because he would make his way to the far touchline. I guess he'll now be found standing on the centre spot!


I like your thinking there and think you are spot on.
The one I like is getting a yellow card for removing your shirt in celebration of a goal even if the goal is disallowed. Now imagine if that is a second yellow - ouch!
User avatar
User

daftasfxxx

Posts

5219

Location

Newport

Re: New laws for 2019/20

Postby daftasfxxx » March 14th, 2019, 9:27 pm

Amberexile wrote:
excessbee wrote:It was sometimes easy to decide who was about to be substituted because he would make his way to the far touchline. I guess he'll now be found standing on the centre spot!


I like your thinking there and think you are spot on.
The one I like is getting a yellow card for removing your shirt in celebration of a goal even if the goal is disallowed. Now imagine if that is a second yellow - ouch!

Surely that rule has been in place for years now.
User avatar
User

Amberexile

Posts

6267

Location

Sheffield

Re: New laws for 2019/20

Postby Amberexile » March 14th, 2019, 9:36 pm

daftasfxxx wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
excessbee wrote:It was sometimes easy to decide who was about to be substituted because he would make his way to the far touchline. I guess he'll now be found standing on the centre spot!


I like your thinking there and think you are spot on.
The one I like is getting a yellow card for removing your shirt in celebration of a goal even if the goal is disallowed. Now imagine if that is a second yellow - ouch!

Surely that rule has been in place for years now.

I don't think the even if the goal is disallowed bit was explicitly spelt out previously so more a clarification than a change.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

11564

Re: New laws for 2019/20

Postby Stan A. Einstein » March 14th, 2019, 9:52 pm

Snowman wrote:Some good changes to the laws of the game have just been announced for next season. Most of them should prevent time wasting



I don't disagree with your assessment but in my view there is a much easier solution. Instruct referees not only to enforce time wasting rules which are already in place.

It seems to me to me that far too many new rules are introduced just so as the powers that be can be seen to be doing something. Kickoffs going backwards springs to mind.

If there is one rule I would employ is that any dissent at a free kick and the ball should be moved 10 metres closer to the goal. And if that resulted in a penalty so be it.

Works in rugby a treat. Failed in pur game because referees were instructed to book players every time they did it.
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Posts

6286

Re: New laws for 2019/20

Postby George Street-Bridge » March 15th, 2019, 9:17 am

One change I'd make is giving the ref discretion to order a dropped ball if the ball hits him/her. Maybe it's already there, but I've never seen it.
User avatar
User

UPTHEPORT

Posts

18359

Location

The Republic of Malpas

Re: New laws for 2019/20

Postby UPTHEPORT » March 15th, 2019, 9:50 am

George Street-Bridge wrote:One change I'd make is giving the ref discretion to order a dropped ball if the ball hits him/her. Maybe it's already there, but I've never seen it.


No the referee is part of the field of play basically

I have the honour in 30 odd years of refin I did once score a goal
User avatar
User

phil_in_npton

Posts

1860

Re: New laws for 2019/20

Postby phil_in_npton » March 15th, 2019, 11:44 am

UPTHEPORT wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:One change I'd make is giving the ref discretion to order a dropped ball if the ball hits him/her. Maybe it's already there, but I've never seen it.


No the referee is part of the field of play basically

I have the honour in 30 odd years of refin I did once score a goal


But come on Jim...that was a diving header!

Phil in Npton
User avatar
User

UPTHEPORT

Posts

18359

Location

The Republic of Malpas

Re: New laws for 2019/20

Postby UPTHEPORT » March 15th, 2019, 12:08 pm

phil_in_npton wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:One change I'd make is giving the ref discretion to order a dropped ball if the ball hits him/her. Maybe it's already there, but I've never seen it.


No the referee is part of the field of play basically

I have the honour in 30 odd years of refin I did once score a goal


But come on Jim...that was a diving header!

Phil in Npton


It was a header Phil I was at corner in my usual position on 6 yard box when he ball struck me on head (it would have gone for a goal kick ) it looped up and over the keeper into net there was carnage as you can imagine but I had to tell them the goal had to stand

I bet if you tried it 10,000 times you couldn't replicate it again it was just a freak goal
no avatar
User

Collars

Posts

309

Re: New laws for 2019/20

Postby Collars » March 15th, 2019, 3:52 pm

I always thought they should have a clock on substitutes - if you don't get off within 20 seconds then the player comes off but the new one can't come on!
no avatar
User

Snowman

Posts

259

Re: New laws for 2019/20

Postby Snowman » March 15th, 2019, 3:56 pm

One area of the laws which they haven't addressed yet is when players deliberately try and run the clock down by taking the ball to the corner and then shield it so that opponents cant touch the ball.

Fans deserve an exciting finish to a game and this tactic stops that
no avatar
User

Collars

Posts

309

Re: New laws for 2019/20

Postby Collars » March 15th, 2019, 4:15 pm

I would:

1 - Make games 35 minutes each half. Clock stops every time there's a break in play so time-wasting doesn't short change fans.
2 - Defenders/goalies shepherding the ball out of play without attempting to play the ball is a free-kick.
3- No subs after 85 minutes and no more than 1 sub every 5 minutes. I hate it when the last 10 minutes is a stream of the winning side making 3 subs to waste time.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

11564

Re: New laws for 2019/20

Postby Stan A. Einstein » March 15th, 2019, 4:31 pm

Collars wrote:I would:

1 - Make games 35 minutes each half. Clock stops every time there's a break in play so time-wasting doesn't short change fans.
2 - Defenders/goalies shepherding the ball out of play without attempting to play the ball is a free-kick.
3- No subs after 85 minutes and no more than 1 sub every 5 minutes. I hate it when the last 10 minutes is a stream of the winning side making 3 subs to waste time.


I'm not sure you could police 2&3. 3 more so how would you deal with injuries. When sub's were first introduced in the mid '60s they were permitted only for injury. Players feigned them.

I think that 35 minute halves with the clock being stopped every time the ball goes dead is a good idea.
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alan G Bryant, Stan A. Einstein and 64 guests

Powered by phpBB ®