Re: New laws for 2019/20

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Collars wrote:I would:

1 - Make games 35 minutes each half. Clock stops every time there's a break in play so time-wasting doesn't short change fans.
2 - Defenders/goalies shepherding the ball out of play without attempting to play the ball is a free-kick.
3- No subs after 85 minutes and no more than 1 sub every 5 minutes. I hate it when the last 10 minutes is a stream of the winning side making 3 subs to waste time.
I'm not sure you could police 2&3. 3 more so how would you deal with injuries. When sub's were first introduced in the mid '60s they were permitted only for injury. Players feigned them.

I think that 35 minute halves with the clock being stopped every time the ball goes dead is a good idea.
Overall for me if my team win I want them to win by playing better than the opposition, not because they kept the ball in corner well for the last 5 minutes or wasted time. Whatever the result us fans pay for 90 minutes of football so that's what we should see!

The ball's usually only in play for 30 minutes a half, so that's what the clock should be if it's stopped for every break in play.

We could also then go back to the final whistle being the exact second of the end of the game rather than that nonsense about neutral areas of the field too, because there will be video evidence of exactly where the ball was on the pitch when time expired and the goal line tech will be linked to the game clock.

The laws of futsal are that the click is stopped each time the ball goes out of play.
In England when I was involved in the game, this was ignored at all levels of the game except internationals as it was deemed to be too much trouble.

If implemented for football I would expect that it would be done at professional level only.

The FA say they want the game to be the same at all levels but then bring in goal line technology and VAR

Amberexile wrote:The laws of futsal are that the click is stopped each time the ball goes out of play.
In England when I was involved in the game, this was ignored at all levels of the game except internationals as it was deemed to be too much trouble.

If implemented for football I would expect that it would be done at professional level only.

The FA say they want the game to be the same at all levels but then bring in goal line technology and VAR
I agree, I’m happier with the old system of the ref being the final arbiter, I think var and goal line tech a bad idea. The nonsense of var is that even with it, it is still often a matter of somebody’s opinion, what’s the point of that.? Keep the game flowing imho - and at all levels the same.
Imagine the timing of a game recommended above. It just wouldn’t work on the parks, when reffing I sometimes forgot to stop or restart my stopwatch after an incident so always used a backup watch with a rotating bezel marked at ko time so I could estimate any amount of injury time if I f*cked up on the stopwatch. At lower levels of the game you just don’t get help from linos and 4th officials and have to fly by the seat of your pants!