Re: Grandstand - Swindon Home

We looked decent before Matt went off, after that we lost all our shape and were woeful.

I'm sorry, but if you think the likes of Azeez and Marsh-Brown are going to get us into the play offs you can think again.

That's two games on the trot that we could and should have won but inept tactics and performances let us down badly.

Bitterly disappointed.

I thought Saturday was dour, but after we lost Jamille Matt, and Joss Labadie, tonight became dire, no shape, and apart from the defence, we looked bereft of ideas, and were very lucky to get a point! Very unimpressed with both Azeez who has plenty of running in him, but little else and Kennedy, who needn't have showed second half.....Whilst the game started with much promise and "fizz", it ended very much in the damp squib vein !!!

Fair result tonight. Ball just didn’t drop right for Amond, Azeez was giving it everything but Swindon were so quick to close down he didn’t a second on the ball. And we should have had a penalty for handball. Darren Ferguson was at the game... wonder who he was looking at? Swindon no 10?

Taken in isolation the 2 draws v Tranmere and Swindon are 2 good points gained. Clearly not what we need now but two of the better sides in the division. Swindon in particular passed it about well last night and have serious pace and good options up top. Our away form has cost us. Not picking up any points from Crewe, Stevenage, Carlisle and Cheltenham away when in good positions will keep us out of the play offs not drawing against Swindon. 4 / 5 points there would’ve made all the difference.
For long passages of play last night we looked second best - don’t think we have quite got what it takes to make the play offs especially if Matt, Labs and Bennett are out for a spell.
Matt played his 50th game of the season last night which deserves mention. Put in another good shift until injured. Sort of summed up our season.
Def need 3 points v Cambridge. Exeter are doing their best to drop out of the play offs too.

Kairdiff Exile wrote:My main takeaway was that if either of those sides think they’re good enough to win promotion from Div 4, they’re deluded.

Two strong, physical, direct but ultimately limited teams without any variety or nuance to their play. They’d both get hammered week-in, week-out in Div 3.
I don't get that we will get more money more TV and bigger crowds so strengthen the squad

UPTHEPORT wrote: I don't get that we will get more money more TV and bigger crowds so strengthen the squad
We'd get a little more TV money (although not much given how lop-sided the Football League's deal is to clubs in Div 2 rather than those in Divs 3 and 4), and we'd maybe get slightly bigger crowds. But compare us to the other sides in Div 3 where, in recent years, there has been the likes of Wigan, Blackburn, Sunderland, Sheffield United etc and it's pretty clear we'd be one of the smallest sides to have been there (possibly with the exception of Accrington) for a good while. Even if we could add three or four players of that level to the squad, I would question our ability to compete against the strength of even mid-table sides in that league.

Not to say we shouldn't try, of course - but if it takes a bit longer so we can be more sustainable, grow the fanbase, improve the youth setup and all the other things that mean we don't have to bet the house on surviving above a self-sustaining level, I'm fine with that.