Re: Long throws

I've been saying this for ages now !!!
It's becoming boring and predictable .
A few occasions tonight we just launched the ball in , had nothing on the end of the throw ins and all of a sudden we're racing back on the defence .
Their Number 10 (Anderson ?) was immense tonight a ripped us apart with his pace .
We just looked laboured and predictable and the long throw ins just summed us up .
Lucky to get away with the 0-0

It's not the long throw itself that is the problem, it's the lack of imagination with the area it's being thrown into.

I'd like to see us try some unusual things from them. For example;

- Two banks of three, one on the penalty spot, one about 25 yards out. As MD begins his run up, the penalty spot bank of 3 split and run out of the box, whilst the other bank of 3 split and attack the six yard box.

Little things like that create space and opportunity, rather than just launching the ball at a bunch of static targets. The throw-in's are actually an excellent weapon, it's our lack of imagination and preparation that renders them useless.

rncfc wrote:It's not the long throw itself that is the problem, it's the lack of imagination with the area it's being thrown into.

- Two banks of three, one on the penalty spot, one about 25 yards out. As MD begins his run up, the penalty spot bank of 3 split and run out of the box, whilst the other bank of 3 split and attack the six yard box.

Little things like that create space and opportunity, rather than just launching the ball at a bunch of static targets. The throw-in's are actually an excellent weapon, it's our lack of imagination and preparation that renders them useless.
Mmmm did you not see our complicated free kick routine against Tranmere?

Justanordinaryfan wrote:
rncfc wrote:It's not the long throw itself that is the problem, it's the lack of imagination with the area it's being thrown into.

Mmmm did you not see our complicated free kick routine against Tranmere?
Yes, but this thread is referring specifically to throw-in's. I agree that we've tried plenty of training ground routines from corners and free-kicks.

Personally, I'd say coming up with some imaginative throw-in routines is probably more important. You'll get around 10-15 chances a game to use them for starters, plus we have an absolute machine of a throw-in taker.

rncfc wrote:
Personally, I'd say coming up with some imaginative throw-in routines is probably more important. You'll get around 10-15 chances a game to use them for starters, plus we have an absolute machine of a throw-in taker.
One of those quirky little statistics. Well two. Three penalties out of four lead to a goal. From corners it's one in forty six.

Long throws only work as a shock tactic. Once a defending team know it's coming it is relatively easy to defend. The problem being that you can't be imaginative from a long throw.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
rncfc wrote:
One of those quirky little statistics. Well two. Three penalties out of four lead to a goal. From corners it's one in forty six.

Long throws only work as a shock tactic. Once a defending team know it's coming it is relatively easy to defend. The problem being that you can't be imaginative from a long throw.
I couldn't disagree more with that statement. It's about moving the targets around to create uncertainty, and I'd move them around in the most bizarre ways imaginable.

JonD wrote:
the most bizarre ways imaginable
I’m imagining rncfc being County’s tactical maestro and dropping a tab of acid before going through his latest planned manoeuvres. :)
Right, Labadie; stop turning yourself into Egon Spengler and attack that ball via the drainage system like I asked.

Caerleon Exile wrote:
Caerleon Exile wrote:Thing is with long throws is just when I thought they were out, they pull me back in...
Disappointed that no one picked up on my Godfather reference here in response to Don Corleone :(
Saw it, got it, ignored it. :lol: