Brexit.

Sailing the high seas. Well Rosslare Harbour to Pembroke Dock I've been following the UK's latest humiliation. And make no mistake to watch a Prime Minister have to grovel before the rest of the EU is a national humiliation.

Now regardless of the merits or otherwise of Brexit there are now only two possible outcomes remaining. Either the UK accepts the status of being a vassal state with Mrs May's deal or the UK remains in the EU. In any event the whipped bulldog with it's tail between it's legs has been firmly brought to heel.

Boris, Nigel and Lord Snooty have conspired to reduce the UK to a laughing stock throughout Europe. I have too many friends in the UK to take any pleasure from all this, but I fear throughout Europe I am in a minority.

Re: Brexit.

Brendan, I have to say, on first impression this post of yours comes across as as slightly anti British tee hee, snigger, snigger post. Ever so slightly patronising as well.

Notwithstanding people's view on whether Brexit is a good or bad thing, (I have my views obviously), I must say that from someone who went to school in Newport, worked in London and is an avid County fan, I would have expected better. Have a safe journey and enjoy the game on Saturday.

pembsexile wrote:Brendan, I have to say, on first impression this post of yours comes across as as slightly anti British tee hee, snigger, snigger post. Ever so slightly patronising as well.

Notwithstanding people's view on whether Brexit is a good or bad thing, (I have my views obviously), I must say that from someone who went to school in Newport, worked in London and is an avid County fan, I would have expected better. Have a safe journey and enjoy the game on Saturday.
The fall in the value of sterling cost me a fortune. Notwithstanding that my real concern is for the millions of people in the UK who would have been hurt really badly had the (I don't have a word to describe my visceral contempt) ERG been successful in achieving the hard Brexit they desired.

I certainly don't take any pleasure in seeing the UK humiliated. However watching a Tory Prime Minister being humiliated is an entirely different matter.

Let me be quite frank. I hate narrow minded nationalism. I hate the Tory party. And I hate those who are willing to exploit working people. If I had my way I really would have the entire ERG working for minimum wage on a zero hours contract. They might learn that the people they vilify are the true heroes. Thank God for the Spanish porter doing a late shift down the Gwent, the Polish builder and the Indian shop worker.

As for the likes of Lord Snooty, telling us all why the UK as a north Atlantic Singapore would be better off, whist moving the HQ of his hedge fund to Dublin, I can only say.....

If I come across as enjoying their humiliation, too bloody right.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
pembsexile wrote:Brendan, I have to say, on first impression this post of yours comes across as as slightly anti British tee hee, snigger, snigger post. Ever so slightly patronising as well.

The fall in the value of sterling cost me a fortune. Notwithstanding that my real concern is for the millions of people in the UK who would have been hurt really badly had the (I don't have a word to describe my visceral contempt) ERG been successful in achieving the hard Brexit they desired.

I certainly don't take any pleasure in seeing the UK humiliated. However watching a Tory Prime Minister being humiliated is an entirely different matter.

Let me be quite frank. I hate narrow minded nationalism. I hate the Tory party. And I hate those who are willing to exploit working people. If I had my way I really would have the entire ERG working for minimum wage on a zero hours contract. They might learn that the people they vilify are the true heroes. Thank God for the Spanish porter doing a late shift down the Gwent, the Polish builder and the Indian shop worker.

As for the likes of Lord Snooty, telling us all why the UK as a north Atlantic Singapore would be better off, whist moving the HQ of his hedge fund to Dublin, I can only say.....

If I come across as enjoying their humiliation, too bloody right.
Interesting. I do try and not hate anybody including Nationalism and the bloody Tory party. Can't stand them is the phrase I would use.

That said, again, never mind ones views, I think you have got Mrs May wrong. She has not been humiliated in my opinion. She voted against Brexit and is trying to implement the will of the people. Her party and Parliament have obstructed her all the way. She can come out of this with her head held high regarding Brexit. Problem is, she is still a bloody Tory. I try not to let my intense dislike of the Tories to cloud my judgement on the good job Theresa May is doing regarding the implimentation of Brexit.

If, by Lord Snooty you mean JRM ( can't bring myself to say his name) heaven help us, (the country) never mind the Tories if he becomes leader. A more pompous prat I could not imagine. He epitomises everything that is wrong with the Tories in my opinion. I think the phrase Little Englander was written for him.

If you mean Nigel Farage, at least he was elected on a ticket, speaks his mind and does not come across as a pompous prat. Still don't agree with how he says what he says though.

My views are irrelevant, but in case you were wondering, I voted leave but it was along the lines of what is now called 'soft Brexit' not hard Brexit. I think I would vote differently now given the chance.

May panicked and triggered Article 50 before reaching any sort of consensus in parliament, chose to call a general election and lost her majority, paid a billion quid to a bunch of fundamentalist Christians who are known for being uncompromising and impossible to work with, has won no friends in Europe with her attitude and is still not ruling out her deal that has been turned down three times. I think she's made a few mistakes.

I still wouldn't take a general election out of fear of what she might be replaced by.

Morning Brendan. Believe me, I have been told I am not a nice person on lots of occasions.

Regarding the Tories, I put them in the same category bracket as how I feel about Cardiff City, religous fundamentalism and right wing nationalist bogots. All different types/categories/views but cannot stand any of them. No hatred, but.........

Enjoy the game tomorrow. :grin:

Marky wrote:May panicked and triggered Article 50 before reaching any sort of consensus in parliament, chose to call a general election and lost her majority, paid a billion quid to a bunch of fundamentalist Christians who are known for being uncompromising and impossible to work with, has won no friends in Europe with her attitude and is still not ruling out her deal that has been turned down three times. I think she's made a few mistakes.

I still wouldn't take a general election out of fear of what she might be replaced by.
I worry that an election could allow Corbyn in. Let's remember, at the last one, Theresa May performed dreadfully poorly, but Corbyn, IIRC, was 8x further from a majority than even a poorly performing May.
In voting for Corbyn, people think they'll get Blair....but they won't, they'll get Michael Foot!

They should have made it clear that the referendum would only be 'advisory', and would require a clear qualifying majority to be taken forward, say 75% of the the votes cast. That's the only mistake that was made in my view.

Marky wrote:May panicked and triggered Article 50 before reaching any sort of consensus in parliament, chose to call a general election and lost her majority, paid a billion quid to a bunch of fundamentalist Christians who are known for being uncompromising and impossible to work with, has won no friends in Europe with her attitude and is still not ruling out her deal that has been turned down three times. I think she's made a few mistakes.

Great summary.

newgroundrodney wrote: They should have made it clear that the referendum would only be 'advisory', and would require a clear qualifying majority to be taken forward, say 75% of the the votes cast. That's the only mistake that was made in my view.
Gosh. That’s a very sympathetic view of the last three years.

newgroundrodney wrote:

I worry that an election could allow Corbyn in. Let's remember, at the last one, Theresa May performed dreadfully poorly, but Corbyn, IIRC, was 8x further from a majority than even a poorly performing May.
In voting for Corbyn, people think they'll get Blair....but they won't, they'll get Michael Foot!

They should have made it clear that the referendum would only be 'advisory', and would require a clear qualifying majority to be taken forward, say 75% of the the votes cast. That's the only mistake that was made in my view.
I think this country needs some hardcore leftist representation to redress the wealth imbalance that has created. The system is broken, and unless someone comes in to correct the inequality between the have's and have not's, things will get very ugly at some stage over the next 10-20 years.

rncfc wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:

I think this country needs some hardcore leftist representation to redress the wealth imbalance that has created. The system is broken, and unless someone comes in to correct the inequality between the have's and have not's, things will get very ugly at some stage over the next 10-20 years.
This!!!! Time for a change, lets be honest, new labour was just a polished Tory turd!!!

rncfc wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:

Corbyn's stance on Brexit is part of the reason we're in this mess, the combination of him and May is lethal. If you think austerity has hit hard, wait and see what Brexit does to our poorest and most needy.

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/n ... es-2765602
Worryingly I think I like Dale Vince now, he's triggered all the little Brexiteer snowflakes with a flag.

I don't really care about Corbyn's stance on Brexit to be honest; that doesn't change my view on the fact that we need someone of his ilk to come in and repair the social damage that the Conservatives have created.

Having discussed the Brexit topic at length with plenty of people, including senior figures at the IoEA, I'm not convinced that the medium to long term effects will be of any great magnitude. There will obviously be some short term issues that the country has to contend with.