Re: Brexit.

Willthiswork wrote:Where?
Channel 4 news. RTE. BBC. Guardian etc. And if you google it you will see that it has been said repeatedly by Barnier, Tusk and Verhofstadt.

Now can you answer my questions? Which of the six potential Brexits do you favour? Why do you believe everyone who voted for Brexit shares your view?

Just my opinion but I don't think Brexit is going to happen.

For what it is worth, my view is that I strongly suspect that Brexit will not happen. A 60% chance I would say.

Regarding the referendum, I think the wrong question was asked. Cameron just gave us a yes or no option. It's a bit more complicated than that. What I want is a trading tariff free zone with a common set of financial rules. I don't want the EU to impose rules on us that a significant amount of people (majority maybe) object to. However, the EU doesn't want to allow us to do that.

We seem to be getting steamrollered into a situation that most people don't want. If there is another referendum, that has to be binding, unlike the last one otherwise people will lose respect for the democratic process and that is the biggest concern about the whole shambolic situation.

Willthiswork wrote:Where? I've googled it and I'm right.

BTW WTO.
WTO. Fair enough. Of course the UK would need to break international law by breaching the 1998 Belfast/Good Friday agreement. Now not only would the UK be in breach and would thus invite international sanctions, but the Nancy Pelosi said only last week that in such an event there would be no possibility of a US trade deal. Which rather f@cks up that idea.

Pembs is quite right. The binary choice offered by Cameron in 2016 was utterly foolhardy.

By the way claiming to be right, doesn't make you right. On which point what is your view on sovereignty with respect of ECHR having supremacy over British courts pursuant of the ECHR treaty of 1950? And how do you think leaving the EU will impact on that?

By the way as a barrister I practiced in the field of both EU and ECHR law. And whilst there is no doubt that there is room for interpretation of statute and precedent your obvious lack of knowledge for me confirms why we should retain democracy but never again fall into the madness of plebiscite..

Willthiswork wrote:Still refusing to answer - and you call us plebs.
On the contrary my dear chap.

You are the one refusing to answer. Why do you believe everyone voted for the same version of Brexit as yourself and consistently failed to answer why you hold this extraordinary belief. You are the one who has accused me of twisting words but says I used the word 'pleb' Still it's what's to be expected from the Rees-Moggers. Oh and as for your three hundred and fifty thousand pound a week for the NHS, good luck with that.

Grateful though for one thing. Thanks to your vote, Sterling has tanked. The Euro we use over here buys so much more, which means I can afford to come over for the play-offs. 8)

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:Still refusing to answer - and you call us plebs.
On the contrary my dear chap.

You are the one refusing to answer. Why do you believe everyone voted for the same version of Brexit as yourself and consistently failed to answer why you hold this extraordinary belief. You are the one who has accused me of twisting words but says I used the word 'pleb' Still it's what's to be expected from the Rees-Moggers. Oh and as for your three hundred and fifty thousand pound a week for the NHS, good luck with that.

Grateful though for one thing. Thanks to your vote, Sterling has tanked. The Euro we use over here buys so much more, which means I can afford to come over for the play-offs. 8)

Where?

As I've said before you sit down with any amount of people their version of Brexit will be different to everyone else so how 600 odd MPs can come up with a comprise

I hate Thatcher but recently there's tapes emerged of her on Radio saying that referendums on Europe shouldn't happen they are to complex an issue

Cameron called a referendum then quit it's all his fault

UPTHEPORT wrote:As I've said before you sit down with any amount of people their version of Brexit will be different to everyone else so how 600 odd MPs can come up with a comprise

I hate Thatcher but recently there's tapes emerged of her on Radio saying that referendums on Europe shouldn't happen they are to complex an issue

Thatcher was always against the use of plebiscite. For all it's failings a Parliamentary system of Government is the only way to achieve political stability. I am always amazed that people fail to understand this. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but the idea that all opinions are equal is nonsense.

Imagine that you are I'll. Your doctor tells you you need an operation or you will die. Your mate down the pub and his wife tell you that you will be just fine without the op'.

Bingo! By a majority of two to one you can now safely avoid having to go under the knife.

When it comes to the running of a country, by a far smaller majority of 52 to 48 you are forced to follow the dictates of an electorate who made a decision when the overwhelming majority of people who voted didn't have the first clue what the single market or customs union is.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:As I've said before you sit down with any amount of people their version of Brexit will be different to everyone else so how 600 odd MPs can come up with a comprise

Thatcher was always against the use of plebiscite. For all it's failings a Parliamentary system of Government is the only way to achieve political stability. I am always amazed that people fail to understand this. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but the idea that all opinions are equal is nonsense.

Imagine that you are I'll. Your doctor tells you you need an operation or you will die. Your mate down the pub and his wife tell you that you will be just fine without the op'.

Bingo! By a majority of two to one you can now safely avoid having to go under the knife.

When it comes to the running of a country, by a far smaller majority of 52 to 48 you are forced to follow the dictates of an electorate who made a decision when the overwhelming majority of people who voted didn't have the first clue what the single market or customs union is.
You're just bitter because the vote resulted in you being deported back to Guinness country.

rncfc wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

You're just bitter because the vote resulted in you being deported back to Guinness country.
Like the Guinness I'm not bitter. :grin:

Although unlike Trump and Lord Snooty I prefer to see walls coming down. And whilst not bitter I am sad that the UK has inflicted upon Herself the worst political decision since the UK chose to remain in the Gold Standard post the Great War .By 1931 when the UK finally saw the folly it was too late by 1931 to prevent the Depression or World War 2. I have great hopes that wiser heads will prevail and Brexit won't happen.

Edit.

Still waiting for why thiswontwork believes 17.4 million people voted for WTO rules to apply. Delusional I think, more money for the NHS and believing he can read minds.

Sad. :cry:

Stan A. Einstein wrote:So Brexit. Going well is it? 8)
I did wonder how long it would take you to resurrect this thread Brendan! My own views on Brexit are listed on this thread earlier.

I note that I said over 6 months ago I thought Brexit wouldn’t happen. 60% I think. Now I reckon there is an 80% chance it won’t happen.

Boris will be forced to quit. No General election. Parliament won’t vote for it. Turkeys and Christmas and all that. Ken Clarke or Harriet Harman to form an emergency govt.

I believe that the British political landscape has changed. The remainers now appear in the majority.

Truly remarkable times. One thing I think is certain. People will be reading about today in the history books in 300 years time.