Defence?

I might be shot down here but this is my take on things. Last season our defence wasn't the best, and for me only really improved when Regan came to us. If any player wants to leave that's up to them, there's plenty of great players out there. So don't worry I'm not as in flynny i trust...... up the County and welcome all the new players.

Re: Defence?

Countymadbell wrote:I might be shot down here but this is my take on things. Last season our defence wasn't the best, and for me only really improved when Regan came to us. If any player wants to leave that's up to them, there's plenty of great players out there. So don't worry I'm not as in flynny i trust...... up the County and welcome all the new players.
It was O'Brien who made the difference.

I remain mystified quite how the defence didn't function last season because all the constituent parts seemed to be there and functioning most of the time. And yet County had a terrible goals against total. So far the only changes have been Butler and Regan out (though Regan wasn't "our" player anyway), Franks retirement and the two youngsters Howkins and Lazar in. Demetriou would be a big (re)signing and I think it's 50/50 whether he'll stay or go. The silence is merely him and his agent waiting to see what options are out there, but in County's favour is that he is felt loved here, there's a good spirit in the team and he's playing football week in, week out...

Cornish Exile wrote:
Countymadbell wrote:I might be shot down here but this is my take on things. Last season our defence wasn't the best, and for me only really improved when Regan came to us. If any player wants to leave that's up to them, there's plenty of great players out there. So don't worry I'm not as in flynny i trust...... up the County and welcome all the new players.
It was O'Brien who made the difference.
Glad someone else has said this, thought it was just me. I completely agree, people wrongly, in my opinion, attribute the improvement in defence to when Poole came in. Even though he did well I agree that it was more when O'Brien had an extended run in the team that we stopped leaking goals.
Last edited by Ugo. on June 14th, 2019, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If Demetriou signs, then I too wont be too worried about the defence. Think we need Demetriou though as O'Brien is still prone to an injury and the 2 new signings are an unknown. Butler will be missed, but more from his attacking capabilities than his defending,

Ugo. wrote:If Demetriou signs, then I too wont be too worried about the defence. Think we need Demetriou though as O'Brien is still prone to an injury and the 2 new signings are an unknown. Butler will be missed, but more from his attacking capabilities than his defending,
I'm more worried about O'Brien and bookings than injuries. He does tend to push his luck with challenges at times... :grin:

Early days yet but hoping we bring in some quality in midfield as this is where we really struggled last season. With Pipe, Poole and Butler leaving we also have no full backs / wing backs at the club. Hopefully we’ll have some quality loans come in to fill these positions.