Re: The team that wouldnt die

pembsexile wrote:Just watched it. Superb programme. They did use footage of the old BBC Wales Jerry Sherman programme from a few years back as well.

They 'bigged up' Charlie Hopkins role which was good to see. Even today I am not fully aware of the complete role he played but thank goodness he was in the toilets having a chat at one of our early games. The outcome of that chat changed the clubs future. A lot of people are responsible for getting us to where we are today but that chat was probably the most important in County history. As the programme mentioned, our most important result was getting the ruling in the High Court.

Even the title of the programme was spot on. We are a small tin pot club, who ply our trave against bigger and better financed clubs on a weekly basis. Sometime we do battle against giants of the game. We can hold our heads up with anyone within the game. Brilliant. If this programme doesn't make you feel proud to be a County fan, then nothing will. Just watch Jeff Challingsworth in the programme to see what I mean. C'mon the County.
Yes,Charlie was a skilled lawyer who happened to be a fan.I didn't go to the Court case but,the highlight has to be when the Judge asked Alun Evans of the FAW " Have you got the documentation from FIFA and UEFA to support your case ". Mr Evans replied " I haven't brought it sir because we've got the decorators in at the moment so I couldn't find it ".

Absolutely brilliant programme which brought a lump to my throat several times. They should put it up for an award. I have never before seen footage of the 1979 West Ham FA Cup game, I remember the pitch was terrible but not quite that terrible!

Best thing of all was they avoided the typical BBC Wales flowery Eddie Butler-style voice-over, it was all the more moving for that. It's a real document of record.

What a fantastic documentary. So pleased to have experienced the journey and really really shows how much we owe to so many people past and present for making Newport County the club it is. It truly did bring tears to the eye, and I'll make sure my sons watch it to fully appreciate where we've come from in my lifetime.

I went to one day the case at the High Court. Evans was in the witness box looking very uncomfortable throughout. At one point our barrister brought up a point I had made in an article for When Saturday Comes, I can't remember precisely what, but it tickled me that the author was sitting a few yards from him but he would have had no idea.

Waiting outside as witnesses were the then manager of Merthyr and the chairman of Bangor City. I don't know if they were called in the end. I'm pretty sure they would have been there to say that the League of Wales was appropriate for NAFC, but not for Merthyr. It has tempered my view of both clubs ever since.

My favourite bit of testimony came on another day when the then Chief Executive of the LoW was cornered into saying that that some of his testimony boiled down to saying he knew something about the attitude of UEFA was a fact because his boss (Evans) had told him so!

Thanks, the clip works now.

There was never any evidence UEFA were particularly bothered. It was all in the heads of Evans and co.

Another delicious irony is that the then owner of Barry Town gave evidence against us. What goes around comes around, years later they were themselves threatening legal action against the FAW. Okay it was different ownership by then, but I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few of the people involved at the club in the early 90s were still around.

Alan G Bryant wrote:I think the 2010 promotion at least warranted a mention , as did Scadding.

Looking back though it is incredible to think the City council wound up their football club. Today they preach how important a club is for the community yet allowed the WRU to purchase RP from under their noses.
The Council had zero chance of buying RP. The WRU had it sewn up that they were the only possible purchasers.