Latest member

If it ain't amber or ain't football then it belongs here!
no avatar
User

Frank Nouble 3

Posts

1382

Re: Latest member

Postby Frank Nouble 3 » August 10th, 2019, 8:18 am

llanwern exile wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:That season our first home game saw over 11000 at SP

By the last game the crowd had dwindled to just over 2000.

We finished rock bottom on 22 points.

Highlight beating Brentford 6-1 at home.

Lowest point loosing away to Notts County 8 -1


Was'nt the Brentford goalkeeper a chap called jerry cakebread?

Good morning llanwern.

Spot on Gerry Cakebread.
It looked really good beating Brentford 6-1 but they ended up second bottom to us.
One find that season was George Harris who had a good career with Watford after playing that season for us.
Later he played against us in the cup.
A certain Pat Jennings was there keeper.
Memories eh.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

12537

Re: Latest member

Postby Stan A. Einstein » August 10th, 2019, 8:18 am

daftasfxxx wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
daftasfxxx wrote:Nice story Harps


I genuinely don't know whether Frank and Harps are the same person. However yourself and one or two others calling him Harps all the time is getting tedious.

There used to be a fellow on here called Danny Dwyer's Dog. He was pretty tedious too. :grin:

Maybe time to move on?


That's a bit rich coming from you Stan, once you get the bit between your teeth there's no stopping you, selected memory have we?


Seriously, just count the number of times Frank has posted wherein the response is directed at Harps. I've got your point, you believe Frank is Harps. My point is even if you're right, so f@cking what? :grin:
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

12537

Re: Latest member

Postby Stan A. Einstein » August 10th, 2019, 8:24 am

George Street-Bridge wrote:One obvious point about multiple IDs is that people can boost one side of an argument by agreeing with their alter ego. And why stop at two and not go on to five or six? Rather, they think they can but writing styles are a giveaway.

One poster was even dim enough to be upfront about his real name and then a few months later repeat the exercise, but using a different "real" name.


I'm in total agreement with you on that. And if this sounds patronising forgive me, it is not meant to be. Whilst you and me have very different world views, everyone knows what you think and you don't hide behind a false persona nor do you create multiple posters. And that I respect.
no avatar
User

Stanley Weinstein

Posts

44

Re: Latest member

Postby Stanley Weinstein » August 10th, 2019, 8:39 am

I agree. The use of multiple accounts on here is an absolute joke, and the moderators should really do something about it.

Harpsichord Franklin Jollybum is free to use as many accounts as he likes, and quite frankly I'm sick to death of it.
no avatar
User

ajs

Posts

143

Re: Latest member

Postby ajs » August 10th, 2019, 8:49 am

Saw the game at Aston Gate when we beat city 2-1 following the Brentford game, county were brillaint that night. I was living in Bristol at the time and comments made after the game was that we would be promoted. The Herrity brothers played with Len in goal, the MOM was Finlay, he ran the game. Finlay suffered a serious injury later and I don't think he played again. John Buchanan and Andy Bowman were good players, probably the fact that maybe Evans, who was a great player in his Chelsea days, just had'nt the gift for management
no avatar
User

Frank Nouble 3

Posts

1382

Re: Latest member

Postby Frank Nouble 3 » August 10th, 2019, 9:01 am

ajs wrote:Saw the game at Aston Gate when we beat city 2-1 following the Brentford game, county were brillaint that night. I was living in Bristol at the time and comments made after the game was that we would be promoted. The Herrity brothers played with Len in goal, the MOM was Finlay, he ran the game. Finlay suffered a serious injury later and I don't think he played again. John Buchanan and Andy Bowman were good players, probably the fact that maybe Evans, who was a great player in his Chelsea days, just had'nt the gift for management

At the time everybody agreed we played good attractive football but somehow it didn't produce the results regularly required.
Think it was Granny Smiths first season also.
Evans virtually had half a team of Scot.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

12537

Re: Latest member

Postby Stan A. Einstein » August 10th, 2019, 9:08 am

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
llanwern exile wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:That season our first home game saw over 11000 at SP

By the last game the crowd had dwindled to just over 2000.

We finished rock bottom on 22 points.

Highlight beating Brentford 6-1 at home.

Lowest point loosing away to Notts County 8 -1


Was'nt the Brentford goalkeeper a chap called jerry cakebread?

Good morning llanwern.

Spot on Gerry Cakebread.
It looked really good beating Brentford 6-1 but they ended up second bottom to us.
One find that season was George Harris who had a good career with Watford after playing that season for us.
Later he played against us in the cup.
A certain Pat Jennings was there keeper.
Memories eh.


The good old days, when goalkeepers were solid and dependable. And you knew this because they had solid and dependable names, like Shilton, or Banks or Jennings. Where you knew people with names like Gerry Cakebread or my particular favourite, Dean Greygoose. were probably not going to make it to the higher echelons of the game.
no avatar
User

Percy plunkett

Posts

2905

Re: Latest member

Postby Percy plunkett » August 10th, 2019, 9:12 am

Solid and dependable keepers yes,good old Beswick,how he never played for England I will never know.
no avatar
User

Frank Nouble 3

Posts

1382

Re: Latest member

Postby Frank Nouble 3 » August 10th, 2019, 9:22 am

Percy plunkett wrote:Solid and dependable keepers yes,good old Beswick,how he never played for England I will never know.

The great len Weare then we got Keith Beswick.

Fans talk about Amond & Matt as a scoring pair.
Different times but the season after Bobby Evans we had the Great Ralph Hunt (killed in a car crash at 34) and Joe Bonson.
Over 50 goals between them in a season.
no avatar
User

mad norm

Posts

5815

Location

In a Station Lane not as long as Warnhams

Re: Latest member

Postby mad norm » August 10th, 2019, 9:26 am

Percy plunkett wrote:Solid and dependable keepers yes,good old Beswick,how he never played for England I will never know.

he flew through the air and missed
no avatar
User

Percy plunkett

Posts

2905

Re: Latest member

Postby Percy plunkett » August 10th, 2019, 9:52 am

I never had the pleasure of seeing Sir Keith but,many fans told me about him while rolling their eyes in disbelief or shaking their heads.In the Lifetime in the League book,he is discribed as a somewhat unorthodox keeper.The author of the book was trying not to be critical of a player it seems.
User avatar
User

lowandhard

Posts

8819

Location

Peoples Republic of Malpas

Re: Latest member

Postby lowandhard » August 10th, 2019, 3:34 pm

George Street-Bridge wrote:One obvious point about multiple IDs is that people can boost one side of an argument by agreeing with their alter ego. And why stop at two and not go on to five or six? Rather, they think they can but writing styles are a giveaway.

One poster was even dim enough to be upfront about his real name and then a few months later repeat the exercise, but using a different "real" name.


:lol: oh what a tangled web we weave....
The point about all this nonsense for me is the following. Some people are happy enough to reveal their identities, some are not. Either way , it is their views that should be addressed and not their person. I get the distinct impression that some people are immediately “ piled on “ because of who they are rather than what they say . I tend to attach more value to those who are willing ,when push comes to shove , to ally their names with their arguments though given the behaviour of some posters on here I can see why some choose not to do so. On occasion I have had cause to regret being open about it myself. :(
Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Powered by phpBB ®