Re: Calling all Numismatists

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Hi Pembs.

Just checked my change and have a 2016 Team GB swimming coin. Don't have one of these in my relatively small collection. A quick Google search shows its currently selling for a couple of quid on eBay but that one sold last year for £510. Any clue about its scarcity and value please?

Thanks again
Hi DeePee,

You need to check which coin you have. If you have the 2016 coin it is a relatively common one. The other one that causes confusion is the 2012 aquatics at the Olympics. There are two versions of this coin. It is one of these that you possibly saw for sale at £510.

One version is the common one. It shows the swimmer with no lines through his face. The earlier version has water lines through the swimmers face and was removed from circulation by the Royal Mint. This one goes for sale for hundreds of pounds. Hope this helps.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Hi Pembs.

Just checked my change and have a 2016 Team GB swimming coin. Don't have one of these in my relatively small collection. A quick Google search shows its currently selling for a couple of quid on eBay but that one sold last year for £510. Any clue about its scarcity and value please?

Thanks again
Hi again DeePee,

I just googled what you said. The first one on one site linked to ebay is for £500. It is complete and utter nonsense. Stay well away, the person is a chancer. There were over 6 million of these coins minted so they are worth face value only.

The problem with eBay is that you can ask any silly price you want. They hope some sucker will pay. I note that coin has no bids against it. The person is trying it on by saying you could buy it now for £999 giving you the impression that you could save £500. Ridiculous.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:Morning mate
Got thousands of 2p coins in a huge jar.
What are they worth ie 1983 new pence.
Just don't get anything 50p or £2 anymore in change with different designs.
Still got my Royal mint folders to put them in but still loads missing after years looking.
Daughter has left the mint (engraver), appears seriously going down hill with no demand for coin currency.
Very Artistic so she is going to do a masters starting September.
Might of told you she designed the VC 50p
Here’s your chance mate. The ‘change checker’ website has just announced a competition to rate the best ever designer of a 50p piece. About 50 coins to choose from. I think your daughter Claire is mentioned. It says Claire Aldridge designed the VC 50p. Get voting mate!!

pembsexile wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:Morning mate
Got thousands of 2p coins in a huge jar.
What are they worth ie 1983 new pence.
Just don't get anything 50p or £2 anymore in change with different designs.
Still got my Royal mint folders to put them in but still loads missing after years looking.
Daughter has left the mint (engraver), appears seriously going down hill with no demand for coin currency.
Very Artistic so she is going to do a masters starting September.
Might of told you she designed the VC 50p
Here’s your chance mate. The ‘change checker’ website has just announced a competition to rate the best ever designer of a 50p piece. About 50 coins to choose from. I think your daughter Claire is mentioned. It says Claire Aldridge designed the VC 50p. Get voting mate!!

Superb Pembs

Will get on there straight away mate.

Very much appreciated and kind regards.

Hi Pembs

Just had a chat with our Claire.
She also designed the old £1 coins featuring bridges plus the £2 Gun Powder Plot.

Emma a great friend of Claires is way ahead with all the Beatrix Potters but there is nowhere near as much work in those but they will be popular albeit boring to an engraver.
Claire said look out for 2019 Stephen Hawkins 50p due out.

Cheers

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:Evening all.
If anybody would like to give her a vote it would be very much appreciated.
There is no prize or gain but it would be nice to see a few votes go her way.
Very much appreciated if you can.

Regards
Much appreciate the votes cast
If you have a spare minute

Google change checker and click on blog.
Daughter is Claire Aldridge.

Just a bit of fun, no prize involved.

Many thanks.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:Evening all.
If anybody would like to give her a vote it would be very much appreciated.
There is no prize or gain but it would be nice to see a few votes go her way.
Very much appreciated if you can.

Regards
Much appreciate the votes cast
If you have a spare minute

Google change checker and click on blog.
Daughter is Claire Aldridge.

Just a bit of fun, no prize involved.

Many thanks.
Flaming neck mate, you must be influencing people. Just checked now and Claire is top of the league with 90 votes and is way ahead of her mate Emma who did the Beatrix Potter coins. Nice one!!

I like the 4 £1 bridges coins she designed as well. Well done to her.

big baz wrote:Sorry haven’t had time to read each post had my first Sherlock Holmes 50p today and May have another coming Wednesday
Keep hold of it Baz. You probably know this already but it is a 2019 coin and no mintage figures have been released yet. They appear very difficult to get hold of as there aren't many around in circulation so it's value may well go up in future years. Watch for the mintage figures next year. Anything in the region of 200k of them and you are on a winner.

You say you are getting one on Wednesday. Have you bought it? I haven't got my individual one yet.

Exile 1976 wrote:I got a Sherlock Holmes fiddy piece in my change today.
A mate gave me two of them this week as well. Perhaps they are not as rare as people have made out. The only way to find out is to wait for the mintage figures when they are released by the Royal Mint next year. I'll carry on looking out for them anyway. The alphabet A-Z 10p coins are like rocking horse poo around here though. Still haven't had one in change myself here yet.