Re: England

Triangle wrote:How was England's 5th goal not offside? Two Kosovo players were not in front of Sancho when the pass was struck.
Don't think the pass went forwards. Sancho did a fantastic job to put the brakes on and stayed marginally behind the ball.

What a refreshing change to see a team that believed in their own level of skills and stuck to their guns. Being 5-1 down must have been awful.

excessbee wrote:
Triangle wrote:How was England's 5th goal not offside? Two Kosovo players were not in front of Sancho when the pass was struck.
Don't think the pass went forwards. Sancho did a fantastic job to put the brakes on and stayed marginally behind the ball.

What a refreshing change to see a team that believed in their own level of skills and stuck to their guns. Being 5-1 down must have been awful.
Kosovo would have topped the group if They had beaten England. Very impressive.

Offside was bugging me, so looked into it.........

After a little research to check on the offside rule......law 17........he was onside if he was either not closer to the goal than the ball OR 2 of the opposition players. If the Sterling pass was forward when Sancho ran onto it, it would not have been offside. Sancho was not in an offside position before the ball was played or when the ball was played.

It is all to do with the word BOTH .........

The law states that a player is in an offside position if any of their body parts, except the hands and arms, are in the opponents' half of the pitch, and closer to the opponents' goal line than BOTH the ball and the second-last opponent (the last opponent is usually, but not necessarily, the goalkeeper.

Ah well.

What's been bugging me lately about offside is when a player comes back from an offside position sometimes he is given offside and sometimes he isn't. Can anyone explain, in particular when player A is yards offside but not "active" but then player B runs past him with the ball and player A is deemed not to be offside when he scores from a pass from player B.

Scrapping offside would leave every team with a tall player stood next to the goalkeeper and football would be over.

As for the offside law, no idea why you're making it complicated - the ball going forward has nothing to do with the law at all, and Sancho was behind the ball when it was played, so he couldn't be offside.

I was there, FWIW, being vaguely amused by Kosovo's attacking ability and very annoyed at the England band who were very nearly within punching distance. :lol:

Blackandamber wrote:What's been bugging me lately about offside is when a player comes back from an offside position sometimes he is given offside and sometimes he isn't. Can anyone explain, in particular when player A is yards offside but not "active" but then player B runs past him with the ball and player A is deemed not to be offside when he scores from a pass from player B.
The current (last time I checked) interpretation is that a player needs to be active.

This used to mean "attempting to play the ball" but about 4 years ago they added that if a player was in a position that meant that a defender would have to play the ball (eg a clearance due to the "not attempting to play the ball player" being behind him), he was also interfering.

Refs and linos have ignored this ever since.