Telephone scam warning

If it ain't amber or ain't football then it belongs here!
User

papajohn

51DegN, 2DegW,

Telephone scam warning

Postby papajohn » September 11th, 2019, 11:25 am

When you receive the call it will be shown as an 01633 number, a recorded message will inform you that they are OFCOM and your internet services are, or will be, severely disrupted during the next 24 hours. If you haven't hung up by now you will be invited to allow the caller to remotely access your laptop/computer in order to "fix" it. Now F.F.S. don't fall for this. Remote access will result in the deposit of malware and access to vital stuff such as bank accounts. My daughter received the call yesterday and being savvy asked them for their number so she could call them back. They hung up. Today, I received the call from 01633 780665 (no such number), but just hung up. Hope this message helps and feel free to circulate as you might wish. There are a lot of vulnerable people out there who will fall for this.
no avatar
User

NearlyDead

Re: Telephone scam warning

Postby NearlyDead » September 11th, 2019, 11:42 am

Not just a Newport STD. I've had two scam/phishing calls this morning: one from a Blackburn STD saying something similar to what you've experienced (recorded UK voice, which was new to me) re internet (variants abound; e.g. Windows compromised; router failing) and another from something similar to a mobile(?) number with a computer-generated voice saying there was a £600 payment on my credit card.

There are many numbers that these types of calls come in on. And STDs and numbers in general are relatively easy to spoof, if you have the will.

If it sounds like a generic message, then 99.9% sure it's a scam. If it sounds almost genuine, it's probably a scam.

Don't bother engaging them to use up their time. Just hang up. And if it's genuine call then the 'person' ringing will get back to you. But first thought should always be "Is this a scam?"
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Re: Telephone scam warning

Postby UPTHEPORT » September 11th, 2019, 11:48 am

Been getting message warrants out for my arrest as well from tax man it really is frightening that some will fall for these