Re: Telephone scam warning

I get a call every day same woman but different message telling me my internet is corrupted and press 1 for BT 2 for others.
Stepmother 84 is savvy albeit from Belgium originally, not the greatest in English but had message regarding her bank account being hacked.
Slammed phone down but still tramped into town to her bank to make sure all okay
Scum out there for sure

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
papajohn wrote:Please see the article entitled 'Telephone scam warning' in the 'Everything Else' section.
Let's get this out there, put papajohn's full post on main board.

Thanks for your post.
I'm no longer a moderator but by the wonder of copy and paste

When you receive the call it will be shown as an 01633 number, a recorded message will inform you that they are OFCOM and your internet services are, or will be, severely disrupted during the next 24 hours. If you haven't hung up by now you will be invited to allow the caller to remotely access your laptop/computer in order to "fix" it. Now F.F.S. don't fall for this. Remote access will result in the deposit of malware and access to vital stuff such as bank accounts. My daughter received the call yesterday and being savvy asked them for their number so she could call them back. They hung up. Today, I received the call from 01633 780665 (no such number), but just hung up. Hope this message helps and feel free to circulate as you might wish. There are a lot of vulnerable people out there who will fall for this.

I have been receiving similar calls almost daily for the last two weeks.
They say
1). Message forwarded from your internet provider (but they do not name it- obviously they do not know).
2). Another version says it comes from BT who run the services for other providers (but not mine, I'm on Virgin)

then I'm given the choice of pressing 1 to contact the provider to cure the problem (which they say is a security threat because caused by hacking) or 2 to permit the cancellation of my service.

I, of course, do nothing (except holding on until they hang up- so as to cost them more money for the call!)
When I use 1471 it usually says call number withheld but today it was 01973809720.

Although I have been threatened for weeks with my internet being cut off I have always ignored this and am still on line! I suggest you do likewise.