Re: Rodney Parade Bars - Cashless

What an absolute barrel of bollocks this decision is. I love how the statement talks of “including the fan experience”, when the reality is that fans now have fewer payment methods than they did before.

Research evidence suggests that people spend more on a card than they do if they physically have to hand over money, so I only use cash for day-to-day transactions because it helps with personal budgeting. If I can’t spend my cash in the bars at Rodney Parade, I guess I’ll just spend more in The Murenger before / after the game; fine by me, but bad news for the club.

I’d love to know why they didn’t consult with fans over this. It strikes me as exactly the sort of issue where you’d expect the Trust model to work in our favour by ensuring proper communication before something like this gets imposed.

Stan, I don’t think this is (just) about age. I’m in my 30s, I trust the technology and know how to use it. I just prefer not to, because I know my wages last longer when I physically have to hand money over to pay for something rather than just waving a card.

It stands to reason why businesses want to force us all to use tech - it reduces their costs and potentially increases their turnover because people are psychologically more likely to spend more. But that doesn’t mean that this is a Good Thing.

The delays in serving people on matchday are mainly due to the time it takes to pull a pint, not due to giving people change (many of us have the exact money ready anyway to save time), so I’m not convinced this will benefit fans in any meaningful sense. We’re being given a worse service, by having the number of payment options reduced, with no tangible benefit.

I don't drink so it doesn't bother me but,forcing options onto fans isn't good business.More reason to drink in the Ivy where we get 100% compared to 0.1% or whatever they give us at RP.I see you can use chip and pin,imagine doing that with everyone seeing your PIN number,if you can remember it.Plus many of us are still in the old world,I still don't do Direct Debit never mind cardless,I thought cash was supposed to be king.

Percy plunkett wrote:I don't drink so it doesn't bother me but,forcing options onto fans isn't good business.More reason to drink in the Ivy where we get 100% compared to 0.1% or whatever they give us at RP.I see you can use chip and pin,imagine doing that with everyone seeing your PIN number,if you can remember it.Plus many of us are still in the old world,I still don't do Direct Debit never mind cardless,I thought cash was supposed to be king.
Cash is definitely not King anymore. We are moving towards a near cashless society. Fewer coins are being released into circulations and the Royal Mint are reducing staff.

It's a near repitition of the move to decimalisation in 1971. The older generation will squabble mostly, the young guns won't give two hoots.