Re: Brexit.

Marky wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
Marky wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:Speaking as someone that voted remain and a labour party member the labour party has lost touch with its core support the majority of whom voted leave

They are going to lose a lot of votes
65% of Labour voters voted remain.
Sorry should have said the vote leave areas

The figures I've seen show that

What I'm saying is the party is going against it's support and they will lose loads of seats come next election because of Brexit
But they're not, time and again Corbyn has refused to commit to anything. You can't please everyone, Labour would gain far more support by backing remain than a half-arsed Brexit that no-one wants. If they were a remain party they'd have got the most votes in the European elections.
There are more than enough remain parties lib dems greens nationlists

Anyway I wasn't for another referendum but I believe the country should decide on no- deal or remain anyother deal is worse than staying at least we get a say where your money goes remaining by doing a deal we get no say after

Willthiswork wrote:Boris will take it to the EU court of appeal! :)
No he won't.

Two problems. Firstly it would be the wrong court. You are confusing EU with ECHR, they are two different organizations. The ECHR is pursuant to the European Convention of Human Rights Treaty of 1950, the European Union Court which sits in Luxemburg is pursuant of the Treaty of Rome 1957.

Secondly which human right do you think is being infringed? There are none. All that has happened is that the Supreme Court has held that the Executive was acting unlawfully with the prorogation of Parliament for the purpose of removing Parliamentary scrutiny. The interesting point of law for me was that the Supreme Court held that it was irrelevant if that was the motive rather than the effect only. Thus the court were able to leave the question of whether Boris had been dishonest unanswered.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
No he won't.

Two problems. Firstly it would be the wrong court. You are confusing EU with ECHR, they are two different organizations. The ECHR is pursuant to the European Convention of Human Rights Treaty of 1950, the European Union Court which sits in Luxemburg is pursuant of the Treaty of Rome 1957.

Secondly which human right do you think is being infringed? There are none. All that has happened is that the Supreme Court has held that the Executive was acting unlawfully with the prorogation of Parliament for the purpose of removing Parliamentary scrutiny. The interesting point of law for me was that the Supreme Court held that it was irrelevant if that was the motive rather than the effect only. Thus the court were able to leave the question of whether Boris had been dishonest unanswered.
Evening Brendan. Last week Lady Big Brooch said that it was not in the interest of the Supreme Court to enter into politics. Fair enough. Their judgement is still incredible. They have stated that Boris acted unlawfully. The Queen has been dragged in to it because she was given advice by Boris and Tory Boy that was unlawful. The Queen is seen to be above all that. That is part of our unwritten constitution.

The Court didn't actually go so far as the Court did in Scotland. Common consensus amongst politicians is that Boris acted dishonestly. By not saying that, unfortunately the Court has dragged the Queen into politics. Things ain't ever going to be the same again.

pembsexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
No he won't.

Evening Brendan. Last week Lady Big Brooch said that it was not in the interest of the Supreme Court to enter into politics. Fair enough. Their judgement is still incredible. They have stated that Boris acted unlawfully. The Queen has been dragged in to it because she was given advice by Boris and Tory Boy that was unlawful. The Queen is seen to be above all that. That is part of our unwritten constitution.

The Court didn't actually go so far as the Court did in Scotland. Common consensus amongst politicians is that Boris acted dishonestly. By not saying that, unfortunately the Court has dragged the Queen into politics. Things ain't ever going to be the same again.
You're quite right. Although in saying that Boris was criticized for not making a statement to the court explaining why he needed five weeks to prepare a Queen's speech.

Marky wrote:The Trumpification of UK politics has been completed. The only thing getting me through at the moment is the thought of that tnuc having to go crawling to the EU and ask for an extension.
Spot on ignore the majority.
Lets have that Anti Semite in charge with his clueless Ex mistress as his deputy.
What a thought :roll:

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Marky wrote:The Trumpification of UK politics has been completed. The only thing getting me through at the moment is the thought of that tnuc having to go crawling to the EU and ask for an extension.
Lets have that Anti Semite in charge with his clueless Ex mistress as his deputy.
Spot on ignore the law.
You don't care about Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson's racism so you're just pretending to care about anti-semitism.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Whilst a case can be made that Corbyn has failed to handle antisemitism within the Labour party properly I think that the accusation that Jeremy Corbyn is an anti- Semite is not sustainable.

Whilst I don't doubt that there are some within the Labour party who are antisemitic and viciously so, I also believe that the charge of being an anti Semite is also levelled at people who are critical of Israeli policy towards Palestinians. And for the avoidance of doubt I believe that Israel has committed human rights abuses in the West Bank and Gaza which are an affront to anyone who holds that human dignity should not be violated.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Whilst a case can be made that Corbyn has failed to handle antisemitism within the Labour party properly I think that the accusation that Jeremy Corbyn is an anti- Semite is not sustainable.

Whilst I don't doubt that there are some within the Labour party who are antisemitic and viciously so, I also believe that the charge of being an anti Semite is also levelled at people who are critical of Israeli policy towards Palestinians. And for the avoidance of doubt I believe that Israel has committed human rights abuses in the West Bank and Gaza which are an affront to anyone who holds that human dignity should not be violated.
Brendan, I completely agree with you regarding human rights abuses. It is completely wrong whether it is committed by Israel in Gaza, the British in Ireland years ago or the ethnic cleansing in Serbia. I could go on with more examples but I won't. I just hope I have made my point.

However, in highlighting this issue, you have inadvertently focussed on the problem with Jeremy Corbyn. Unfortunately, the people who Jeremy Corbyn agrees with politically are the very people who highlight the Israeli abuses in Palestine. Jeremy Corbyn does not want to disagree with them and call them out because they support him politically. In this he is completely wrong. I believe that he has no backbone and will not discipline people whose views are similar to his. That is hypocritical.

If he cannot take on the haters in his party, how on earth is he to be trusted to run the country. In my opinion he is not the man to unite the country, he is the man to take on people who disagree with him. I see no evidence of a broad appeal for unity from him. More bloody confrontational politics lie ahead. Adversarial government, adverserial law, it is in the British DNA. Where is the middle ground aka Kirsty Williams, Yvette Cooper, Ken Clarke, David Owen, Shirley Williams and the like. I see no end to it unfortunately.

The one thing that I do agree with Corbyn though, is that we need to get rid of King Boris asap. Just my opinion for what it is worth.

pembsexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:

Brendan, I completely agree with you regarding human rights abuses. It is completely wrong whether it is committed by Israel in Gaza, the British in Ireland years ago or the ethnic cleansing in Serbia. I could go on with more examples but I won't. I just hope I have made my point.

However, in highlighting this issue, you have inadvertently focussed on the problem with Jeremy Corbyn. Unfortunately, the people who Jeremy Corbyn agrees with politically are the very people who highlight the Israeli abuses in Palestine. Jeremy Corbyn does not want to disagree with them and call them out because they support him politically. In this he is completely wrong. I believe that he has no backbone and will not discipline people whose views are similar to his. That is hypocritical.

If he cannot take on the haters in his party, how on earth is he to be trusted to run the country. In my opinion he is not the man to unite the country, he is the man to take on people who disagree with him. I see no evidence of a broad appeal for unity from him. More bloody confrontational politics lie ahead. Adversarial government, adverserial law, it is in the British DNA. Where is the middle ground aka Kirsty Williams, Yvette Cooper, Ken Clarke, David Owen, Shirley Williams and the like. I see no end to it unfortunately.

The one thing that I do agree with Corbyn though, is that we need to get rid of King Boris asap. Just my opinion for what it is worth.
Afternoon Mike,

Agree entirely. Nobody who is in public life is or should be above criticism and Jeremy Corbyn is certainly no exception to that rule. As for Boris he is of a different order. I remember Michael Foot being asked if Margaret Thatcher was evil, his reply was that she wasn't it was just that she lacked imagination. I doubt that the late Mr Foot would have been able to find anything to redeem Johnson. Johnson is just a nasty piece of work.