Re: News regarding ex County players

Exile 1976 wrote:Ridiculously let go from our academy, former County young keeper Lewis Webb, now with Swansea, kept a clean sheet for Wales u19’s in a 2-0 win against Austria. Lewis Collins played too.
IMO Flynny is not interested in the Academy and never has been
Maybe that's why Byron called it a day.
Ridiculous as that is a very important part of funding for the club.
What was the last player we got cash for
Connor? or a few bob for Aaron.
Everybody else moves on at the end of their contract.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:Ridiculously let go from our academy, former County young keeper Lewis Webb, now with Swansea, kept a clean sheet for Wales u19’s in a 2-0 win against Austria. Lewis Collins played too.
IMO Flynny is not interested in the Academy and never has been
Maybe that's why Byron called it a day.
Ridiculous as that is a very important part of funding for the club.
What was the last player we got cash for
Connor? or a few bob for Aaron.
Everybody else moves on at the end of their contract.

In fairness we got a bit of cash from Fulham for Jay Williams & also for the goalkeeper Rhys Davies that went to Leicester and Rhys Kavanagh who went to Brizzle Rovers.
Letting Lewis Webb go for nowt was a big mistake imo as he’s an excellent prospect.

DT1892 wrote:Got some from Owura Edwards going to Bristol City as well. It's hard to get these young lads into the first team when bigger clubs further up the pyramid pinch them before we get a chance.
The thing that strikes me is, if these lads like Edwards and Williams had never been at the County, they are exactly the sort of players we would be trying to sign on loan.

I'm sure Flynny has his reasons and they're good ones, but it just seems a massive shame these lads could go on to play against us in loan deals having never pulled on an amber shirt, not even in a meaningless cup game.

rncfc wrote:
DT1892 wrote:Got some from Owura Edwards going to Bristol City as well. It's hard to get these young lads into the first team when bigger clubs further up the pyramid pinch them before we get a chance.
The thing that strikes me is, if these lads like Edwards and Williams had never been at the County, they are exactly the sort of players we would be trying to sign on loan.

I'm sure Flynny has his reasons and they're good ones, but it just seems a massive shame these lads could go on to play against us in loan deals having never pulled on an amber shirt, not even in a meaningless cup game.
People will point to us making money on the young lads sold but in reality if all of them had played 5 games plus in the first team we are probably looking at an extra 6 figure fee on what we received. Instead of loaning back up full backs or back up 5th choice strikers or CB's the club should be putting an academy player in that place.

rncfc wrote:

Perhaps, had either stayed, they would've seen game time this season. We've certainly seen some of the kids feature in the Paintpot trophy. Edwards is on loan at Bath, which suggests he might be ready for not much more than that. Lewis Collins made his league debut off the back of his performance in that.

I just think it's hard to breakthrough at this level, and if you're good enough to be close to that level, the bigger clubs are already aware of you well before you get on the pitch.