Rivalries

A topic in itself taken from another thread.

Sad though it may be, we just don't have a rival and trying to manufacture one isn't going to work.

What do the following teams have in common. Cardiff, Merthyr, Barry, Wrexham, Forest Green, Hereford, Cheltenham?

All seven have at one time or another had people on this board trying to make out we have some type of rivalry with. Sorry ask any Portsmouth fan and it's Southampton. Likewise Ipswich/Norwich, Cardiff/Swansea, Chester/Wrexham, Newcastle/Sunderland, Celtic/Rangers, Wolves/West Brom, Spurs/Arsenal, and so on.

In the unlikely event that Pontypool ever get a league team, maybe but I think not having a 'deadly' rivalry is something we're just going to have to live with.

Re: Rivalries

Blackandamber wrote:If you consider Newcastle & Sunderland and Ipswich & Norwich as rivals then why don't you consider Newport and Cardiff as rivals. Each pair of teams are 2 divisions apart. Also the County are only about 12 miles from City's ground.
That's the point. Cardiff and Swansea are rivals. As Danny Baker pointed out Millwall don't regard Charlton as their rivals. Rivalry needs to be a two way thing and sadly we have traditionally not been seen as a threat.

mad norm wrote:Don't they have Day Centres in the Emerald Isle?
Just think you could play whist,bingo singalong with the local glee club,learn to make scones join an excersise group.....It might broaden your horizons.

:shock:
You have become remarkably unpleasant of late. Shame.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:If you consider Newcastle & Sunderland and Ipswich & Norwich as rivals then why don't you consider Newport and Cardiff as rivals. Each pair of teams are 2 divisions apart. Also the County are only about 12 miles from City's ground.
That's the point. Cardiff and Swansea are rivals. As Danny Baker pointed out Millwall don't regard Charlton as their rivals. Rivalry needs to be a two way thing and sadly we have traditionally not been seen as a threat.
In that case you may as well say that Everton and Liverpool are not rivals because Everton have not been seen as a threat to Liverpool (for a long time at least).

Exile 1976 wrote:Wait and see how things go if we ever get drawn against each other in the FA Cup....you’ll see the rivalry still exists.
We are no ones main rival.

Ask yourself this. Ask any Chester fan who their main rival is and they will say Wrexham. Not Tranmere or Crewe or Macclesfield. Ask any Ipswich supporter and it's Norwich not the considerably closer Colchester.

Can you name one club who would cite Newport?

Tribalism and rivalries, as I said on another thread, it is fascinating stuff for me. I think that people should only speak for themselves and not get caught up in the broader fan based stuff. For me, my intense dislike of Cardiff City stems from the fact that whilst the County were going to the wall in the 80s it was Cardiff fans who at the time were taking the p!!s and thoroughly enjoying it. I suppose we should be bigger than that, but.......

What I don't understand (and this happens a lot in the Forces and Pembrokeshire) is the follow on consequence for some fans when they say they support a big team when they have no connection with the area. They may support Liverpool, Spurs or Newcastle and for some strange reason they then admit to hating Utd, Arsenal or Sunderland. I do not understand that at all.

If you are brought up in a particular area and you have a team that is within say a 10 mile radius, you play them regularly, then I suppose it is completely valid that you see them as rivals. Each to their own though.

Cardiff - hope they get relegated
Swansea - hope they go up as Champs
Wrexham - couldn't give a f*****g s**t, they are definitely not our rivals.
Bristol City - shoulder shrug
Bristol Rvs - shoulder shrug
Cheltenham - shoulder shrug
FGR - veggie tossers

Fascinating stuff.

pembsexile wrote:Tribalism and rivalries, as I said on another thread, it is fascinating stuff for me. I think that people should only speak for themselves and not get caught up in the broader fan based stuff. For me, my intense dislike of Cardiff City stems from the fact that whilst the County were going to the wall in the 80s it was Cardiff fans who at the time were taking the p!!s and thoroughly enjoying it. I suppose we should be bigger than that, but.......

What I don't understand (and this happens a lot in the Forces and Pembrokeshire) is the follow on consequence for some fans when they say they support a big team when they have no connection with the area. They may support Liverpool, Spurs or Newcastle and for some strange reason they then admit to hating Utd, Arsenal or Sunderland. I do not understand that at all.

If you are brought up in a particular area and you have a team that is within say a 10 mile radius, you play them regularly, then I suppose it is completely valid that you see them as rivals. Each to their own though.

Cardiff - hope they get relegated
Swansea - hope they go up as Champs
Wrexham - couldn't give a f*****g s**t, they are definitely not our rivals.
Bristol City - shoulder shrug
Bristol Rvs - shoulder shrug
Cheltenham - shoulder shrug
FGR - veggie tossers

Fascinating stuff.
You're forgetting Godalming Town

How Abingdon United have avoided a mention on this thread so far escapes me. :lol:

FWIW:
Cardiff - want them to lose every game, always (except the 2008 FA Cup Final at the time)
Swansea - quite like them (more since being so bad Saints stayed up instead 2 years ago)
Wrexham - hilarious they're so crap but otherwise as long as they stay there, whatever
Bristol City - it'll be a rivalry if we're ever in the same division again
Bristol Rovers - likely trouble from 80s throwback idiots, I don't actually dislike them though
Cheltenham - mild antipathy just because they're clearly Gloucester's rivals, and I like Gloucester a lot for obvious reasons
Forest Green - we should probably hate them lots more than we do - nearest current same division rivals, tangibly quirky non-traditional "message", stupid steep trafficky hill, poo-smelling ground, awful pies, seem to have more money than they should have and been a pain for us in transfer market in the past, bloody daft lime green kit, also longer time rivals dating back to the Hellenic days.
Abingdon - league cup final delaying b'stards. :lol: