FA Cup draw

The 4th qualifying draw has now been made. 32 matches, so without Bury there will be an odd number of teams in the first round proper. I suppose that means two ways to resolve this. Draw the team to get a bye first, or the bye is the odd team left at the end. Any other ways of doing this?

Re: FA Cup draw

Might end up with a "lucky loser" situation similar to the year that Man Utd elected to go play the World Club Cup instead of play the FA Cup.so, draw the round as normal, and then draw one name from the pool of teams beaten in the most recent round.

Not sure what the actual process would be, but there's at least a precedent for that!

njbh86 wrote:Might end up with a "lucky loser" situation similar to the year that Man Utd elected to go play the World Club Cup instead of play the FA Cup.so, draw the round as normal, and then draw one name from the pool of teams beaten in the most recent round.

Not sure what the actual process would be, but there's at least a precedent for that!
That sounds better than my options. Reinstate a 3rd qualifying loser. At leat they have competed in the competition, maybe for more than one round. The possibility of giving a freebie to a league two team before they have kicked a ball wouldn't be right.

If you have 32 teams, draw the bye number first. Many a time I have had to do a darts competition draw with either 15 or 31 players in the hat.

It is then 1v2, 3v4 etc. The teams (players) are then selected one after another and one of them will eventually have the bye. Sorted.

excessbee wrote:But that basically allows one team to skip a round. Reinstating a loser is far more fair.

Incidentally, Pembs, how do you organise a darts knockout with say 25 players?

Good question mate. What I do for a 25 player draw is this:
Put a space on the draw sheet next to 32 numbers for all the players. Then draw out 7 numbers as byes. It is better if this is done in blocks so that the byes are evened out across the 32 numbers. Then draw the 25 to fit the empty spaces.

For 27 players you have 5 byes etc, etc.

As a Football Manager competition editing veteran, planning ridiculous numbers of drip-fed different-round entering seeded competitions is a bit of a speciality of mine. :oops:

I'd go with a lucky loser in the 4QR to get the competition back up to 40 first round matches, failing that draw the bye at the end of the round, the one left in the fishbowl gets the free pass. Or just draw Bury (as they've entered) and then kick them out for failing to fulfil a fixture - though the EFL already said they wouldn't be able to play, not that it's up to them anyway.