Dragons Attendance

Possibly one for 'Everything Else', but have just read that last night's attendance for what I think was the Dragons' first home league game was just over 3,200. This after their first away league win in 5 years!

Have we had a lower weekend league attendance this season?

Re: Dragons Attendance

Rogy Amber wrote:Possibly one for 'Everything Else', but have just read that last night's attendance for what I think was the Dragons' first home league game was just over 3,200. This after their first away league win in 5 years!

Have we had a lower weekend league attendance this season?

2000 is probably closer to the mark

Yes. As I see it we need the Dragons to be successful. If the WRU pull the rug from under them, they pull it from under County as well.

Watching last night's game, I calculated that it had taken 100 minutes to play an eighty minute game. They seemed to be forever stopping play. Often for lengthy consultations with the TMO. No wonder crowds are dwindling.My son-in-law left the stadium at half time unable to watch any more. All rather worrying for us I think.

rncfc wrote:You can probably shave 30% off that then to arrive at the truth.

Bottom line is they've been crap for ages and regionalisation ruined rugby in this region. Nobody is particularly bothered in my opinion.
Yes, they count tickets out rather than bodies in. Always rumours of numerous freebies flying around, so you could well be right.

pembsexile wrote:That is not good news for the County at all. We need the Dragons to be as successful as possible. Those sort of crowds give further ammunition to those in the WRU and wider Welsh rugby who want the Dragons to move from RP. Not good at all.
Couldn't agree more. Doesn't auger well for the future of professional sport at RP. Watched the game on S4C, and I have to say I don't think I've ever seen a more error-strewn, woeful display from a professional rugby side than I witnessed from the Dragons. The crowd certainly seemed less than any the county's league games this season. Even the Rodney Road/Compeed terrace or whatever it's officially called nowadays, seemed very subdued.
The only plus side appeared to be that the pitch didn't cut up as much as I expected given the amount of rain we've had recently. Although given that the forecast is for rain everyday between now and next Saturday, the grounds people will have their work cut out preparing a pitch of decent standard for the next 2 home games.

Willthiswork wrote:
rncfc wrote:Unless, of course, when the dragons go pop the ground is sold to us/Newport rfc/the council for continued sporting use, as are the terms of the land I believe.
Those 'terms' were from Lord Tredegar, I doubt they would hold up these days if someone had a good legal advisor?
Someone like the WRU I fear? Although for the right price I assume they would listen to any offer?

I watched the Wales game on TV and the first half took 55 minutes,with the TMO and this nonsense in the scrum of crouch,hold and engage which takes forever then,the scrum collapsed or turned around too much so it had to start all over again.Mind you,there was some exciting play in between all that.There are some tough nuts in both sides but,how there aren't more serious injuries is a pleasant surprise.Not sure if the Dragons is as exciting though.

Willthiswork wrote:
rncfc wrote:Unless, of course, when the dragons go pop the ground is sold to us/Newport rfc/the council for continued sporting use, as are the terms of the land I believe.
Those 'terms' were from Lord Tredegar, I doubt they would hold up these days if someone had a good legal advisor?
A lot easier if the council are on board though.