Re: RWC

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
pembsexile wrote:Most teams in this World Cup are going to be battered by this All Black team. England next. Then Wales if we make it that far. They are truly superb and in a league of their own.
Difficult to argue with that
Absolutely. NZ were a different class. I think England might give it a better shot but on this morning's form still won't get within 15 points.

On their day they’re easily the best side but over the past couple of years they’ve lost to Ireland, hammered by the Aussies a few months ago, drew with the Springboks .... wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if Ingerrrrrrrrrlund beat them......or if they destroy ingerrrrrrrrrlund

I can't say I really enjoyed that. The problems with Wales is that expectation has increased, when it doesn't happen.........

If the Saffers win later I feel for Wales, because if we play that way against them......

The old cliche about which France team will turn up proved correct in the second half. However, it can also apply to Wales - what team turned up.

I think the game was eventually won by what happens behind the scenes in the preparation. If ever proof was need that coaches, fitness coaches and sports psychologists have an effect on players, this was it. Wales drive, determination, game management and fitness in the last part of the game was superb. Pity about the other 65 minutes.

pembsexile wrote:I can't say I really enjoyed that. The problems with Wales is that expectation has increased, when it doesn't happen.........

If the Saffers win later I feel for Wales, because if we play that way against them......

The old cliche about which France team will turn up proved correct in the second half. However, it can also apply to Wales - what team turned up.

I think the game was eventually won by what happens behind the scenes in the preparation. If ever proof was need that coaches, fitness coaches and sports psychologists have an effect on players, this was it. Wales drive, determination, game management and fitness in the last part of the game was superb. Pity about the other 65 minutes.
Whilst not disagreeing with any of that, I do think the French red card was the single most important factor, and the 2 key scrums that went our way when scrummaging against 7 men. Scored from one and a penalty that allowed us to run down the clock from the other.

Maybe others will see it differently, but after watching the County yesterday, and Wales today and can't say that on the balance of play the better teams won; but of course the team who scores the most points/goals wins. Ultimately the most important thing. Roll on Tues evening and next Sunday.
Didn't realise until today that Wainwright was an ex-county youth player. It would appear he made the right choice of sport

The only thing that matters was the final result.

We never gave up.
Ref was dire not even noticing the elbow straight in front of him let alone Wainwright being strangled by 2 back rows, until being notified.

Onwards and upwards great for all those that did the trip.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
pembsexile wrote:I can't say I really enjoyed that. The problems with Wales is that expectation has increased, when it doesn't happen.........

Whilst not disagreeing with any of that, I do think the French red card was the single most important factor, and the 2 key scrums that went our way when scrummaging against 7 men. Scored from one and a penalty that allowed us to run down the clock from the other.

Maybe others will see it differently, but after watching the County yesterday, and Wales today and can't say that on the balance of play the better teams won; but of course the team who scores the most points/goals wins. Ultimately the most important thing. Roll on Tues evening and next Sunday.
Didn't realise until today that Wainwright was an ex-county youth player. It would appear he made the right choice of sport
I completely agree, the red card was absolutely crucial. Without it we may not have won. However, as Frank has indicated, it is now knock out rugby and the result is everything. However, I certainly do not feel as confident as I would have for next week.

New Zealand have a drab performance in them for sure. You can't play with that level of accuracy and intensity every game, it will fail to come off sooner or later. Let's hope that it's in a final against Wales.

Liam Williams injured? I'm in despair.

This weekend we are away with family (the English half of our scraggy tribe) and I'm dreading the worst possible outcome in both semi-finals. My bro-in-law still bangs on tirelessly about Jonny's drop goal.

ref23 wrote:New Zealand have a drab performance in them for sure. You can't play with that level of accuracy and intensity every game, it will fail to come off sooner or later. Let's hope that it's in a final against Wales.
Maybe its happening today 10-0 HT !!

Wow, what a game. England were outstanding. A few people stated this week that NZ can't play at last weeks intensity again and that they have a poor performance in them at least once per tournament. Well I don't think that they were allowed to play today. It didn't seem to matter what they did, England swarmed all over them. Well deserved victory.

Who will stop them now? Any takers? Come on Wales tomorrow, the prize awaits.