Re: Jamile Matt

I remember going to Oldham last season and Matt hadn't fully hit his stride and was getting what I considered to unfair stick from a few fans. I pointed out he was working his socks off and doing a job for the team chasing down and putting pressure on, it also transpired later he was playing through and injury. He had a hell of a season last season and he'll do the same this, season. Not sure if this is a wind up because you posted near enough the same comments on the man of the match thread but were ignored.

I'm not sure what else Matt can do. He faces long balls all day against big centre backs. He wins the odd header but if Podge isnt around the ball goes to the opposition. He doesnt get much support from midfield and we have no wide forwards so I'm not sure what he is expected to do receiving a long high ball from King.

He’s the tallest guy on the pitch and can’t win an header . His touch is dreadful Tristan Abraham’s scores last weekend at Colchester and he’s on the bench over Jamile Matt I don’t get it . What did Taylor maloney do to start I don’t know .

Jamille was never a player that moved around a lot last season. He always seemed to be in the right place at the right time. From the last few matches I’ve seen, he has always had 2 or 3 players marking him. Sadly it looks like he hasn’t been in the right place at the right time so far this season. Seen as he isn’t doing well at the moment, I would definitely give Tristan a go.

I think it's now safe to say that Podge and Matt are both missing Dan Butler's delivery. Haynes is a great replacement for Butler but his crossing ability is not as consistent as Dan's was. Podge and Matt both look low on confidence as is Robbie (obviously not well yesterday) who along with Butler was so vital for providing great deliveries last year. It's easy to see why we're not scoring as many this season.

Caerleon Exile wrote:I think it's now safe to say that Podge and Matt are both missing Dan Butler's delivery. Haynes is a great replacement for Butler but his crossing ability is not as consistent as Dan's was. Podge and Matt both look low on confidence as is Robbie (obviously not well yesterday) who along with Butler was so vital for providing great deliveries last year. It's easy to see why we're not scoring as many this season.
I agree with this completely, Dan and Robbie created a lot for us last season. I really like Haynes but he is a different kind of player, creates in different ways. I really think that service was the issue yesterday, lumping long balls up and playing percentage balls in to the box doesn't tend to create good goal scoring opportunities. Maloney had 13 touches yesterday he covered a lot of ground but the game just passed him by.
Jama had an injury coming into the season not sure how much that has impacted him, two players who scored 43 goals between them last season shouldn't be written off so easily.

When the service he is getting is mostly long balls launched from defence, it becomes very easy for defenders to read the path of the ball and double up on him and simply crowd him out. Someone who can carry the ball from midfield into an attacking position is needed. Labadie cannot be expected to do that as well as break up the threat of the opposition.

County ranger wrote:I cannot believe we have threads critising players when we are top end of L2 with a limited budget and many who do more or nothing other than a basic trust membership.
Mike Flynn seems to have no difficulty criticising players, why do you think supporters don't have the right to do likewise?