Re: Mike give the youth a chance

DT1892 wrote:The jump from youth football to Football League level is bigger than it's ever been. How many clubs at this level have youth players in their first XI regularly? If any of them are as good as some of the first team, I don't see a reason why Flynn wouldn't give them a chance.

Collins has got some time on the pitch and done alright, but aside from that I can't see how anyone can know the 'potential' of any of our lads unless they watch them every week. I saw Jeffries against West Ham and thought he had a good game, but it was against another academy team. Playing against the likes of Salford, Forest Green or Bradford is a completely different challenge.

Unless he’s given the chance we’ll never know.

DT1892 wrote:The jump from youth football to Football League level is bigger than it's ever been. How many clubs at this level have youth players in their first XI regularly? If any of them are as good as some of the first team, I don't see a reason why Flynn wouldn't give them a chance.

Collins has got some time on the pitch and done alright, but aside from that I can't see how anyone can know the 'potential' of any of our lads unless they watch them every week. I saw Jeffries against West Ham and thought he had a good game, but it was against another academy team. Playing against the likes of Salford, Forest Green or Bradford is a completely different challenge.
You just shot yourself in the foot.
Jefferies was our MOM against West Ham.
Mahoney played and he was hopeless against "kids" so tell me why Flynny plays a fella who is hopeless or keeps him on the bench and ignores a potential future star.

He's 17. No need to rush him through because we've lost a couple of games. I can't see any reason why Flynn would ignore him if he was good enough. He's given Collins a few games and was bigging him up in the Argus a week or so ago.

I'd be very surprised if Jefferies doesn't get some game time at a level higher than the reserve trophy games this season.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:

You just shot yourself in the foot.
Jefferies was our MOM against West Ham.
Mahoney played and he was hopeless against "kids" so tell me why Flynny plays a fella who is hopeless or keeps him on the bench and ignores a potential future star.
Have I? I don't rate Mahoney. I don't think he's good enough, I'd rather Jefferies play ahead of him, but only if he's ready.

And while Jefferies played well, we let a 3 goal lead slip and lost 5-4 to another youth team. There weren't many options for MOM.

I have been arguing about the lack of opportunities for youth under Flynn for a couple of years already. But the problem does go a bit deeper than that - I don't think he gives sufficient opportunities to some members of his first team squad. I find myself looking at the bench and predicting whom amongst them will figure in the game. It's only when an injury occurs that my predictions are sometimes incorrect.

We might be 7th in the division but we continue to be fairly predictable in personnel, formation and how our goals are created. And if players feel they aren't given a chance then they leave. If Academy players aren't given a chance they leave. A thriving Academy is the lifeblood of a club at this level. Ignoring the Academy could turn out to a costly mistake for County.