Re: Who do you attend matches with?

My first games were back in 1962/3 season with my estranged "dad", who actually took me to my first away game at Burnley, my grandad took over and I went to games at Guldford and Southampton, with him as well as becoming a regular Cromwell End regular, even with my ex wife in later years!
My youngest son became a regular and is still to date, and at Rodney Parade my grandson has now commandeered me from the Hazell Terrace to the stand!
I have lived in Cheltenham, for the last 19 years, whilst still working at Magor brewery, which I have done for the last 38 years, and am retiring at the end of December......
One thing is for sure, I was born Amber, and will die Amber.......I have successors so I'm happy as long as we can resume /retain our previous........so to speak!
COME ON 'U MIGHTY PORT......

newgroundrodney wrote:I don't have a massive number of friends, if any. To be honest, that's the way I like it.. I go to all games alone, leaving my house at the same time. I stopped going to away games years ago... in fact, even when going to QPR, there's never anyone with me to share the joys and heartaches.
I like my own company.
Great to see you up and posting.

moetthepoet wrote:
chepstowamber wrote:When we were still in primary school me and a load of mates used to catch the bus from Portskewett to the Cross Hands to watch County at Somerton Park. Fast forward 50 years and 4 of us still go together but take it in turns driving.
Chris
Small world, I've lived in Portskewett all my life. I tend to go to games on my own these days but do try to convince friends and family to at least come and watch County
I lived in Portskewett for 30 yrs before out about 6 yrs ago, I still know someone else from the village that attends.

big baz wrote:I go with my eldest son, my brother and his two sons, our dad and my brother's father in law.
My dad does get some strange looks as he has a white stick and watches the game through binoculars but he loves it. We haven't risked his dog yet but I think that could be a first for the county
There is a blind guy I've seen over Hazel Baz he has a chap doing commentary for him next to him fair play that's a tough job

Good Afternoon!

What a wonderful response to my question! Some lovely stories there, heartwarming stuff, fantastic to hear of the camaraderie amongst mates, and the growing bond of generations within families.
Newgroundrodney, please class us on here as your friends, you are part of our larger Amber family. It’s not always about results, it’s what we get out of supporting a football team that gives pleasure and togetherness.
In our family it’s something that unites us, Dad,Mum, Son and Daughter, and even their partners join in too.

Thanks to everyone for their contributions.

Phil in Northampton

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:I don't have a massive number of friends, if any. To be honest, that's the way I like it.. I go to all games alone, leaving my house at the same time. I stopped going to away games years ago... in fact, even when going to QPR, there's never anyone with me to share the joys and heartaches.
I like my own company.
Great to see you up and posting.
I second that.
Hope you are on the road to recovery Gareth

I love recounting this one: I took my friend and colleague Jim to Armitage in the 1990s and we were awful; we really were. Even Lownsdey was poor we lost 2-1, Townsend was awful,the pigswill smell was awful. On the way back to Wrexham (yes Wrexham where my two beautiful daughters were born!) we stopped for a pint in The 4 Crosses in Shropshire and I tried to explain to Jim that we were on the way back up the leagues and today wasca mere blip and our aim was the league.
He shook his head and replied , 'not in your lifetime M-----'

Until a couple of years ago I would convince my partner to join me over the County 3 or 4 times a season. That ended after I took her to see the 0-4 game against Leyton Orient under Westley. She said, ‘this is rubbish’ and I didn’t really have a case to argue.

That game was a particular low point but, if you look at the County team that day (with one or two exceptions) it contained the foundations of the team that have gone on to do so well in the last couple of seasons.

Went to County with my dad on Saturdays as a kid, and my aunty on the rare occasions I was allowed to midweek games. When I hit teenagerhood County ceased to exist, then when I was a student I went to Newport AFC games either on my own or with my dad at Gloucester, and then on my own when I'd moved to Southampton. When I came back I went to most of the Southern League era games with my dad too, but was playing Saturdays most of 96-2003 so attendance was sporadic.

Briefly went to some games with mates in the early 2000s, almost always went to aways alone, then left Newport again. When we got back in the League and I'd stopped playing, I started going to aways and making trips to Rodney Parade with my wife, which is what I still do now, usually meeting up with my aunty or one of my mates (and bumping into my dad randomly at aways all over the country). Have also managed to rope in a couple of Saints fan mates to coming along to games once or twice too.

Most of my family are at least loosely football fans (we have County ST holders, Southampton ST holders, Watford ST holders and casual attendees in the family), so they kinda get it, but even so they think I'm slightly mental committing entire weekends to stuff like Carlisle or Middlesbrough away, even though I have mates who do twice as many games as my 40-ish (County, Saints and occasional international tournaments) a season.