Re: The Most Average Newport County Players

Goddard & woods wrote:
JonD wrote:
Goddard & woods wrote:35 appearances 1978 to 1979 and scored 2 goals.
Cheers. I remember a goal he scored at the Cromwell End (possibly a winner, versus...Wigan?) but hadn't realised he played so few games.
The 2 goals he scored were 1 in 78/79 at home to Scunthorpe the 1st in a 2-0 win and 1 in our promotion season 79/80 the 1st in a 3-1 win at Doncaster.
I remember that goal against Scunthorpe as if it were yesterday. Trevor Thompson was always trying to pull-off the spectacular and he achieved it with that goal. It must have been from at least 35 yards out.

rncfc wrote:Any long term supporter will clean up on this thread.

Denis Spiteri
Eston Chiverton
Ray Pulis
Mark Draycott
Mark Bellingham

Now for the more controversial ones

Max Porter
Danny Crow
Lee Evans
Dan Butler
Didn't Lee Evans get transferred to Wolves for a hefty wad? Wasn't it mentioned about him being on the fringes of the Welsh squad at the time as well? Whatever happened to him? No idea where he is now. I did think at the time that he would fulfill his potential.

Denis Spiteri - fair call. Played 10 games, I'd thought it was fewer. How about Robert Ainley in the same era and position?
Eston Chiverton. Had to look up his stats, but on goals per game he was actually one of our best strikers ever!
Ray Pulis: Yep
Mark Draycott and Mark Bellingham Awful.

Max Porter: Really rated him, when he played well the team did, and the converse.
Danny Crow Didn't seem to be any formation he fitted into from the squad he played in. I'm getting the same feeling about Whitely.
Lee Evans: Disagree, even as a kid he was way above average.
Dan Butler The more I see of Haynes, the more average I think Butler was.

[quote="pembsexile"][quote="rncfc"]Any long term supporter will clean up on this thread.

Denis Spiteri
Eston Chiverton
Ray Pulis
Mark Draycott
Mark Bellingham

Max Porter
Danny Crow
Lee Evans
Dan Butler[/quote]

Didn't Lee Evans get transferred to Wolves for a hefty wad? Wasn't it mentioned about him being on the fringes of the Welsh squad at the time as well? Whatever happened to him? No idea where he is now. I did think at the time that he would fulfill his potential.[/quote]

I think he is back at Wigan? but been out with an injury for sometime.

JC wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
rncfc wrote:Any long term supporter will clean up on this thread.

Denis Spiteri
Eston Chiverton
Ray Pulis
Mark Draycott
Mark Bellingham

Max Porter
Danny Crow
Lee Evans
Dan Butler
Didn't Lee Evans get transferred to Wolves for a hefty wad? Wasn't it mentioned about him being on the fringes of the Welsh squad at the time as well? Whatever happened to him? No idea where he is now. I did think at the time that he would fulfill his potential.
I think he is back at Wigan? but been out with an injury for sometime.
Yes, I wiki'd that after I'd posted. Has has had a few loan spells and went to Sheff Utd for (allegedly) £k750. Also had a full cap as a second half sub against Panama. I still don't see/hear him in footie reports though.

pembsexile wrote:The tank. Lee Minshull. Very strong and good at our level. Can't really say that he should have played in a higher league and I think he dropped into lower leagues after he left us. I enjoyed watching him and he always did a shift. Not the most talented of players but very strong. One of the best 'average' County players I have seen. No idea where he is now.
I was thinking of Minshull last week during the Salford game. Those were the type of conditions he seemed to perform best in. The boggier the pitch, the better he played. I used to love the way he clattered players several seconds after the ball had gone - it wasn't his fault, he couldn't get there any sooner!