Re: Do we need new Strikers?

The stats show we are creating chances so you might be on to something. However I think the problem might be that our forwards are expected to do a lot defensively and spend a lot of time contesting high balls and are not focusing on being on the end of crosses and passes. The reason we are tighter defensively this year is also why we score less I think. Also Robbie is often playing central this year and sometimes deeper as a full/wing back so he isnt pinging in the crosses he did last year.

Avery thoughtful reply,that last poster, we never seem very sharp when Robbie Wilmott is having to play in midfield, and the long high kicks from the keeper, gives the advantage to the opposing defenders, I think Wilmott is much more effective--,running at the opposing defence, but having said that, Mike Flynn IS doing a good job and I'm sure he knows the best way to use his players.
Come on the Port !! Bob Bassett

My view only.

Forwards tend to go on goal gluts. Periods when they score regularly and periods when they don't. Our problem seems on paper at least to be that not enough goals come from midfield or defensive players. Going back to the season of triumph I seem to recall Vaughan, Lowndes, Oakes, Bailey etc chipping in with a vital goal now and again.

I think his biggest "problem" is that he has two strikers who can only play central so he feels compelled to play 4-1-3-2/4-3-1-2 or 3-5-2.

I like both strikers but I'd like to see a 4-3-3 with Abrahams out on the left cutting in and Robbie wide right with either Podge or Jamma central. This would also work well with the full backs as Haynes would have space to run into and Danny Mac could support Robbie from deeper.

Of course it would be a hard call to drop Jamma or Podge but he has already done that recently.

SJG99 wrote:This is probably the second best batch of strikers County have had in the past 45 years, behind the Aldridge/Tynan era.

We're a primarily defensive side, yet they've scored in 16/20 matches this season.
Jamille Matt apart from Tynan & Aldridge the best striker we have had in 45 years? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Padraig with the right side would be up there though but not how we are playing this season.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
SJG99 wrote:This is probably the second best batch of strikers County have had in the past 45 years, behind the Aldridge/Tynan era.

We're a primarily defensive side, yet they've scored in 16/20 matches this season.
Jamille Matt apart from Tynan & Aldridge the best striker we have had in 45 years? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Padraig with the right side would be up there though but not how we are playing this season.
No, Matt, Amond and Abrahams up there with Tynan, Aldridge and Gwyther. Unless of course you'd like to name three better?

SJG99 wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:Are you counting all the years in the wilderness or just the last few years back in the league?

To quote 45 years is nonsense as its not like for like.
So, that's a no then.
Amond /Matt

or

Zebroski/Washington First league season. I know who I would have.

Myself and Padraig 2017/18 same again.

Non League

Craig Reid plus whoever..

Jolly/O'Connor

Tynan era.

Howard Goddard
Eddie Woods.

Matt is no better and possibly no worse than every other regular up front for us.
Abrahams jury still out.
Padraig Legend.