Re: Howkins?

Haven’t heard today but from what I remember from my working days, it’s now careful monitoring ( and possibly meds ) for any post trauma seizures. He will remain “ at risk “ for years but the odds are dependent on how severe the original injury was, if not too severe the lad has a good chance of a complete recovery. Any working medics on this board confirm?

Thought he was one of our better players last night up until the injury.

Was horrible seeing him having some kind of fit while he was on the deck, he took the full force of that guys head into the side of his.

Winced when i seen it, lucky he wasn't killed.

Interesting to note that the BBC didn't show the challenge in any replay. My guess is that the editor realised how serious it was. Maybe a replay would have made it more evident that it was a nasty challenge and that didn't fit in with the agenda of portraying Malden as the plucky underdogs with part time players. I believe the one that clattered Howkins was the PE teacher they interviewed before the kick off. It would never do for his students to see 'sir' behaving like that.

They did show (just once) a long range camera shot of Howkins looking only at the ball, but stopped before the point where he headed it. My guess is that will be the view that will confirm (or otherwise) just how late their player arrived. Is there any retrospective punishment at this level? I'm not even sure that he gave a free kick. I think the restart was just a dropped ball/ free possession to Townsend.

I'm not sure whether football have any head injury protocols similar to those used by rugby union. But common sense would be that he rests until he is symptom free (no headaches, no dizziness, no nausea, no visual disturbances) and start with light training and building up only if symptoms do not return. But as heading is a big part of his role it could be a lengthy time out. If indeed he does return. It is entirely possible that he may not be able to play football again. Ryan Mason of Bournemouth had to retire last season for similar reasons

wattsville_boy wrote:I'm not sure whether football have any head injury protocols similar to those used by rugby union. But common sense would be that he rests until he is symptom free (no headaches, no dizziness, no nausea, no visual disturbances) and start with light training and building up only if symptoms do not return. But as heading is a big part of his role it could be a lengthy time out. If indeed he does return. It is entirely possible that he may not be able to play football again. Ryan Mason of Bournemouth had to retire last season for similar reasons
I think the other team might get in trouble for not subbing their player either cause he wobbled when he got up. Obviously a sign of a head injury and he should have been brought off.

excessbee wrote:The ref should have ensured that decision wasn't even one they could make...... by sending him off.
I recorded the game and have looked at the incident.

I don't disagree with your view that he should have been sent off as it was both reckless and dangerous. However I am as sure as I can be that the Maldon player didn't go in to deliberately injury our player.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
excessbee wrote:The ref should have ensured that decision wasn't even one they could make...... by sending him off.
I recorded the game and have looked at the incident.

I don't disagree with your view that he should have been sent off as it was both reckless and dangerous. However I am as sure as I can be that the Maldon player didn't go in to deliberately injury our player.
I agree with you Stan. As far as one can tell by an interview, in his pre match interview the lad didn't seem that type. Sickening injury that it was and yes a red card should have been shown, I think Hughes had no real intent.

Looked a really nasty one , and the Malden guy knew exactly what he was doing . Straight red for sure .

Not nice seeing Howkins fitting like that and the rest of the players (on both sides) looked in shock .

Let's hope he's ok and has a full recovery
UTC