Re: Grandstand FA Cup Round 2

lowandhard wrote:Let’s be honest about this, that was fairly woeful but don’t forget our history, many County sides in the past have lost to non-leaguers and at least we didn’t do that with a pretty depleted team so I’ll settle for that.

Equally important is the injury situation. My sincere hopes for a speedy and complete recovery for the casualties tonight and I’m worried for Howkins as that was a bad knock, I saw it clearly at the time and consider it a straight red any day of the week, it was late and more a butt than a clash imho.

I wish people wouldn’t pick on Jefferies, he’s a young lad and promising too but I feel we’re playing him out of position, I reckon he’s a midfielder, I’d like to see him there.

By our recent lamentable standards we should have been home and hosed by ht but football-wise we were awful. Something has to change and I don’t think Poleon or Abrahams are the answer, even the worst of us playing up front would be lethal from a yard out ( Abrahams ) and Poleon’s reaction of laughing when his “shot” landed somewhere near Tiptree was doubtful as far as I’m concerned. They were laughing at you mate not with you!

Townsend , the central defenders ,Sheehan and Haynes looked ok , the rest looked out of sorts but delighted that Amond despite not having a good game must be played as it appears he’s the only one who can finish presently. I believe this is because of the game plan, we must get the ball wide and cross from the byline to give the forwards any chance at all of scoring. Whether that means a signing or two I know not because Flynn’s priorities are complicated by needing to strengthen nearly everywhere and on our budget he’ll have only the opportunity to bring in a couple.
I agree with your assessment generally. I quite like Abrahams but I would be giving him 20-30 mins off the bench currently, not starting with him. He has lots of hustle and bustle to his game but he did lose the ball consistently during contact. I think Poleon hasn't been given much of a chance yet, though what I have seen hasn't been impressive. Jefferies probably isn't a defender and it would be interesting to see him as a midfielder (Mickey Mouse Cup perhaps). We do have players that can go to the byeline and cross the ball, but they seem not to. Is this because the Manager has told them to play another way?

I'm finding watching County recently very frustrating. I feel we have a very good side, but for some reason they are playing hoofball. I also feel that players are being played in their wrong positions far too frequently. Football is a fairly simple game, perhaps the Management are over-complicating things and try going back to the basics a bit. Lets start with trying to keep the ball on the deck and passing to each other. Lets see whether the team can play the ball forwards as a first option instead of backwards. Lets play with width and encourage our wide players to run down the tramlines to the byeline and cross from there rather than speculative balls from midfield. Lets pick the players in their natural positions where possible and if that means having to blood a youngster then do it. Lets be bold in how we play football instead of the meek performances served up recently.

Townsend is something else, isn't he? I'm so impressed by the bloke's keeping. Plus he seems able to hit clearances with either foot.

O'Brien - it's unfortunate that, even when he's in the opponent's penalty area his instinct is still to try and put the ball in row Z. He could've settled a few nerves early on.

Sheehan is our most watchable player and does nice little things sometimes, but in this side all that ever leads to is him eventually teeing up someone to boom the ball high and long. If he gets a move in January that'd be awful for the fans.

As for our strike force - bearing in mind Harry Kane would struggle with the service he'd get in County's lineup - I like Matt, I like Amond. I just don't like Matt&Amond. Abrahams reminds me in a way of Matt Green when he was at County. Many years ago a County fan said of Green that "he won't score a goal as long as he's got a hole in his arse". Abrahams has that same aura. He needs coaching, I feel.

The little I've seen of Nurse - besides that RB cameo - has quite impressed me. I'm disappointed we seem unable to accommodate him in the side a bit more than we've done so far.

Heartbreaking stuff to watch Howkins' seizure. Goodness knows what this might mean for the lad. I hope, of course, to see him back out playing one day.

JonD wrote:Townsend is something else, isn't he? I'm so impressed by the bloke's keeping. Plus he seems able to hit clearances with either foot.

O'Brien - it's unfortunate that, even when he's in the opponent's penalty area his instinct is still to try and put the ball in row Z. He could've settled a few nerves early on.

Sheehan is our most watchable player and does nice little things sometimes, but in this side all that ever leads to is him eventually teeing up someone to boom the ball high and long. If he gets a move in January that'd be awful for the fans.

As for our strike force - bearing in mind Harry Kane would struggle with the service he'd get in County's lineup - I like Matt, I like Amond. I just don't like Matt&Amond. Abrahams reminds me in a way of Matt Green when he was at County. Many years ago a County fan said of Green that "he won't score a goal as long as he's got a hole in his arse". Abrahams has that same aura. He needs coaching, I feel.

The little I've seen of Nurse - besides that RB cameo - has quite impressed me. I'm disappointed we seem unable to accommodate him in the side a bit more than we've done so far.

Heartbreaking stuff to watch Howkins' seizure. Goodness knows what this might mean for the lad. I hope, of course, to see him back out playing one day.
Good evaluation.

After watching last night I am of the opinion that we came up again bit of a non league anomaly in Maldon. They are clearly a couple of divisions better than their current standing and play some decent football.

That said I feel we should have been out of sight within the first half hour and as the game grew so did my sense of dread that we were going to be on the wrong end of an upset.

Townsend was superb, I echo the sentiments about how impressive he has been - I think we have two quality keepers at our disposal.

We were wasteful in front of goal, Abrahams will run all day but his finishing is woeful at times. Amond popped up at the right time and scored a great goal - Nurses cross was excellent for that.

All in all I think we dodged a real banana skin last night and am happy we're in the third round again - this could prove to be a pivotal moment in the season for us going forward.

We have avoided the dreaded banana skin and we are in the hat for round 3. We stopped a free scoring team from finding the net so in that respect it was a professional job and well done to the team and management.
However, it's a sad indictment of our ability that if we had tried to play football against an eighth tier team like Maldon we would probably have been hammered.

We certainly upset the BBC agenda for the evening. We were miles better than them throughout the first half, yet just before half time Martin Keown stated it was difficult to tell who was the league two team. This was shortly followed by their manager saying they were off the pace. The sanitised comments about the assault on Howkins show quite clearly that little ol' T and M were cast as the good guys.
Last edited by excessbee on November 30th, 2019, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

flat4 wrote:A W is a Win, but MF and the team should be ashamed of the result.
The first time I've seen Newport this season and you weren't as bad as I'd been led to believe by the comments on here. If the strikers had had their shooting boots on you'd have been three up by half-time and scored five by the end.
Never mind, as you say a win is a win and there'll be more money in the pot for Mr Flynn to bring in a player or two to take Newport to promotion, I hope.

Echo the comments about avoiding a banana skin. We had players badly out of form and/or not fully fit who still got stuck in, then lost two centrebacks.

Also about Maldon not being a typical tier 8 team. I didn't realise their tie-in with Colchester was as close as it is - Colchester are their landlords and they are an outlet for work experience loans. Their chairman was at pains to say they aren't a feeder club because that's against the rules, but it sounds like in layman's terms they are.

The foul on Howkins was shocking. To me it looked like the striker either just closed his eyes, which was plain reckless, or carried on with the header despite the ball being long gone. Straight red either way..

excessbee wrote:We certainly upset the BBC agenda for the evening. We were miles better than them throughout the first half, yet just before half time Martin Keown stated it was difficult to tell who was the league two team. This was shortly followed by their manager saying they were off the pace. The sanitised comments about the assault on Howkins show quite clearly that little ol' T and M were the cast as the good guys.
Keown was also mealy-mouthed about the foul on Townsend in stoppage time, but we've benefited from media coverage as underdogs so fair enough overall.

I don't watch Strictly, but I might now I know Alex Scott is in the last five! :grin:

We really should have been 2 or 3 up st there, but due to poor finishing we weren’t. 2nd half we looked like a team lacking confidence & hardly created anything. That being said, our depleted team defended well (despite losing 2 CB’s) & restricted their much-vaunted attack to 1 chance 1st half & a long range effort 2nd half. Sheehan best outfield player on pitch by a country mile (Townsend looked unbeatable tonight though). Keown was always going to pick one of their players for MOM. The Howkins incident looked a straight red to me. Their guy was never gonna win the ball & was only going to endanger Howkins. Let’s hope he’s ok soon. On to round 3. UTC!

No problem with him picking one of their's for Mom. It's the natural consolation prize. We didn't have any candidates really. Still haven't worked out how their player who was sent off against Orient (Parrish) wasn't suspended for last night's match. He too, late in the game, seemed to be jumping into players without any chance of winning the header.