Re: FA Cup 3rd round draw

April 1983 I think.

Our promotion push had recently stalled at Gillingham but the mirage was still there. IIRC it was goalless for an hour then Tommy Tynan of all people missed an open goal. Heads went down after that and they scored 3 in the last 15 minutes.

I went again the following season but have no recollection of the game although I have a vision in my mind of their fans running amok over the terraces. That was the old Den of course; now there's a New Den.

My journey and safety were eased by my sister living (as she still does) in New Cross. This time I may recruit a nephew or three to boost the away crowd (they are more drawn to Charlton Athletic I'm glad to say).

A few player tie in with Millwall, anyone remember any others?

Tom King signed from Millwall 2019

Danny McNamara on loan from Millwall. 2019

Lazar Stojsavljevic 2019 signed from Millwall, released upon Lazar request. Returned to Serbia to pursue footballing opportunities apparently, but see nothing concrete on what happened after leaving.

Sid Nelson was on loan in 2016/17. (14 appearances after joining on loan in January 2017. He was a part of 4 wins and 7 draws in the season of the great escape.)

Steve Lowndes 1977 to 1983 Newport County signed for Millwall in 1983 to 1986 with over 90 appearances and 10 goals for them. He joined us at our reformed Newport club from 1992 to 1996.(thanks for the tip Excessbee).

Wally Hinshelwood at Newport County from 1961 to 1962, signed from Millwall. He only made 3 appearances for the County and only 19 for Millwall, but was as a mentor and friend of Joe Broadfoot and taught Joe the finer points of wingplay (as described in Joe Broadfoot's book "A tale of 2 footballing towns" ..note, the two towns were Millwall and Ipswich.)
Last edited by Triangle on December 2nd, 2019, 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

excessbee wrote:
faerun exile wrote:Not been before. Looking forward to it.
Been there once..... '77? Have to check out Amber in the Blood. We lost, 2-0 I think.
Got most of that wrong. May 2nd 1983. And we lost 3-0. Easter Monday, our small section of terrace was infiltrated by a group of Millwall supporters, cheering for Newport. One of our group advised the police that nobody recognised any of them. To be fair, they removed them all. At half time, one of the coppers came back and said "Now, is there anyone else you don't want on this terrace?"

Triangle wrote:A few player tie in with Millwall, anyone remember any others?

Lazar Stojsavljevic 2019 signed from Millwall, released upon Lazar request. Returned to Serbia to pursue footballing opportunities apparently, but see nothing concrete on what happened after leaving.

Sid Nelson was on loan in 2016/17. (14 appearances after joining on loan in January 2017. He was a part of 4 wins and 7 draws in the season of the great escape.)

Steve Lowndes 1977 to 1983 Newport County signed for Millwall in 1983 to 1986 with over 90 appearances and 10 goals for them. He joined us at our reformed Newport club from 1992 to 1996.(thanks for the tip Excessbee).

Wally Hinshelwood at Newport County from 1961 to 1962, signed from Millwall. He only made 3 appearances for the County and only 19 for Millwall, but was as a mentor and friend of Joe Broadfoot and taught Joe the finer points of wingplay (as described in Joe Broadfoot's book "A tale of 2 footballing towns" ..note, the two towns were Millwall and Ipswich.)
Before my time but I was told about Keith Beswick by older fans and they weren't complimentary.Discribed in Tony Ambrosen's book as being somewhat unorthodox.

Percy plunkett wrote:
Triangle wrote:A few player tie in with Millwall, anyone remember any others?

Before my time but I was told about Keith Beswick by older fans and they weren't complimentary.Discribed in Tony Ambrosen's book as being somewhat unorthodox.
Percy.
Keith Beswick is well remembered by myself as a big lump with little talent.
No idea why he was signed up but was our regular keeper for a while.

Cheers

George Street-Bridge wrote:Puts McNamara in an invidious position.
Interesting position for him I suppose ,I assume he will not be allowed to play in the 3rd round tie, but as Black & Amber has pointed out, after we've beaten Millwall, surely they cannot prevent him playing for us in the 4th round.

I'm sure many supporters will look forward to going to watch County at a ground the majority have never been to, but have to say. personally I'm disappointed with the draw. Was hoping for a home tie, first and foremost, if not an away tie, preferably to a Premiership club or well supported Championship club whose attendance would have given us a good payday.
I note that Millwall's average attendances over the last couple of seasons are approx. 13,000. Given our comparative low profile what can we expect for this tie. Less than 10,000?

Of course a County win, or even a replay will do nicely.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:Puts McNamara in an invidious position.
Interesting position for him I suppose ,I assume he will not be allowed to play in the 3rd round tie, but as Black & Amber has pointed out, after we've beaten Millwall, surely they cannot prevent him playing for us in the 4th round.

I'm sure many supporters will look forward to going to watch County at a ground the majority have never been to, but have to say. personally I'm disappointed with the draw. Was hoping for a home tie, first and foremost, if not an away tie, preferably to a Premiership club or well supported Championship club whose attendance would have given us a good payday.
I note that Millwall's average attendances over the last couple of seasons are approx. 13,000. Given our comparative low profile what can we expect for this tie. Less than 10,000?

Of course a County win, or even a replay will do nicely.
I would have thought the crowd would be well below 10,000. I imagine a lot will depend on what pricing is agreed for the game, surely Millwall will want discounted tickets.