Re: There's Power in the Shorts

I for the life of me don't understand why playing in black shorts seems so important to some posters. In the scheme of things it just doesn't matter.

What I find even more difficult to understand is why playing in black shorts matters so much to me. For reasons I can't begin to fathom I like amber shirts (old gold amber) with black trim. Black shorts and black and amber socks, and other than when we are forced to change because of a colour clash I believe we should never play in any other strip.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:I for the life of me don't understand why playing in black shorts seems so important to some posters. In the scheme of things it just doesn't matter.

What I find even more difficult to understand is why playing in black shorts matters so much to me. For reasons I can't begin to fathom I like amber shirts (old gold amber) with black trim. Black shorts and black and amber socks, and other than when we are forced to change because of a colour clash I believe we should never play in any other strip.
This!

Stan A. Einstein wrote:I for the life of me don't understand why playing in black shorts seems so important to some posters. In the scheme of things it just doesn't matter.

Brendan, it matters so much because it is part of the clubs history. It is quite simple. Newpôrt County colours are black and amber. In my memory banks all the good things I think about, I see the County players in black shorts, not the stupid bloody Amber crap we have at the moment.

I am pretty sure that someone can recall good memories of when we played in Amber shorts. Perhaps for me it is an age thing. It shouldn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. However, for me it does. Whoever made the decision to play in black shorts last night, well done, perhaps it can continue.

Blackandamber wrote:I've always preferred black short but we should have amber socks. It always was that way back in the day (apart from that horrible blue and white stripes season, and we did play in tangerine for a while).
Not forgetting the orange amber of the 1970's as opposed to old gold amber.

Whilst I agree with Pembs about the reason for wanting black shorts being it's part of our history I think it might also be an age thing. Both myself and Mike are far closer to the grave than we are to the cradle. Our earliest memories of County are black and amber. Not orange, not blue. It may be that people now in their 40's and 50's prefer the kit they first saw back in the 1970's. A kit I don't like.

As ever interested in the views of others.

Agreed. The only other consideration for me would be if the players expressed a clear preference. I think we all remember from childhood that there was a psychological boost from playing in decent strip. I remember back in the late sixties playing for a team who’s kit was more or less Chelsea’s first team kit complete with numbers on shorts etc. I reckon it made me a yard faster and win more tackles :lol:
I wonder if anyone has done any research on “ playing for the shirt “ - literally that is.