Heading Ban

The Scottish FA will in the next few weeks introduce a heading ban for young players in training sessions. It will not affect Youth matches - yet.
I’ve got a feeling that this is not going away because insurers and football organisations are not going to take the risk. What do you guys think? The risk of dementia is becoming undeniable.

Re: Heading Ban

I agree. The number of ex pros with dementia is very alarming. One of them.indeed, my close neighbour in Rogerstone, who is in a very distressing condition. Quite what to do about it is another matter. Maybe playing games without heading should be experimented with. It may not be as bad as we fear if we can work out a set of rules which preserve the ball playing skills of the game but without deliberate heading.

There is no doubt that repeatedly heading a ball does increase the risk of dementia. By the same token there is no doubt that the benefits of playing sport outweigh this risk. Adults can choose whether to take the risks, slight but significant, that heading a ball brings. And on that basis u would not wish to see heading a ball taken out of the game.

Children are not in a position to assess that risk. Further their underdeveloped physiques mean that they are more likely to suffer injury. For that reason I believe heading a football should play no part in football for players aged 16 and under.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:There is no doubt that repeatedly heading a ball does increase the risk of dementia. By the same token there is no doubt that the benefits of playing sport outweigh this risk. Adults can choose whether to take the risks, slight but significant, that heading a ball brings. And on that basis u would not wish to see heading a ball taken out of the game.

Children are not in a position to assess that risk. Further their underdeveloped physiques mean that they are more likely to suffer injury. For that reason I believe heading a football should play no part in football for players aged 16 and under.
I think that’s a sensible opener to the discussion. I can see though that it is going to increasingly affect the rules of all sports that might involve head injuries due to repeated impacts like football, boxing, rugby and American football.

As a junior football coach I haven't coached kids to head a ball for some years, other than telling them the basics if they feel the need for a header during a game (use forehead, keep eyes open, deploy neck muscles to apply power to a header). But never practised in training.

I doubt whether even our first-team spend long heading the ball in training these days either. It is a serious risk, albeit probably reduced in recent years due to the use of lightweight synthetic balls. I'm sure we practice crossing, defending corners etc but it won't be the same player heading a heavy ball for hours at a time. The bigger risk to any player at any level is when 2 players try to head the ball at once, one is mistimed and we see a serious head injury a la Howkins.

Another risk for current County players is neck ache, for obvious reasons.

How many people get dementia compared to the billion people heading a football. I know people will disagree strongly but this is world we live in now everything is a risk just get on with it, won't be able to do anything before long if you think your at risk or are worried about risk don't play the game simple.

Mrp wrote:How many people get dementia compared to the billion people heading a football. I know people will disagree strongly but this is world we live in now everything is a risk just get on with it, won't be able to do anything before long if you think your at risk or are worried about risk don't play the game simple.
I think the lighter balls have probably already reduced the likelihood of future head injuries. There's a moral responsibility by those profiting from players' activities to ensure their safety though - which I guess is why there's such a focus on the pros compared to the mugs who do the same thing in local parks for 25 years with the same risks but none of the financial benefits.

I managed to get myself a concussion heading a driven corner at Uskmouth Power Station in the mid-90s, literal seeing stars. Bloody Mitre Multiplex, like heading a rock - nothing like that around any more.

I have no answers but am concerned that we might be on the rocky road to changing the basic fundamentals of the game. It might become a free kick offence to kick the ball over shoulder height. It might sound silly at the moment but in these nanny state days I am sure someone will be thinking along those lines. I don't really see how they can take heading out of the pro game. Non-contact boxing, anyone?

OLDSTER wrote:I have no answers but am concerned that we might be on the rocky road to changing the basic fundamentals of the game. It might become a free kick offence to kick the ball over shoulder height. It might sound silly at the moment but in these nanny state days I am sure someone will be thinking along those lines. I don't really see how they can take heading out of the pro game. Non-contact boxing, anyone?
Who's suggesting taking it out of the pro game? It's for under-12's.

DT1892 wrote:
OLDSTER wrote:I have no answers but am concerned that we might be on the rocky road to changing the basic fundamentals of the game. It might become a free kick offence to kick the ball over shoulder height. It might sound silly at the moment but in these nanny state days I am sure someone will be thinking along those lines. I don't really see how they can take heading out of the pro game. Non-contact boxing, anyone?
Who's suggesting taking it out of the pro game? It's for under-12's.
It's the logical conclusion that something "proven" to be causing concussion and head trauma is banned - the NFL have already forked out a fortune to former players due to concussions and there could be compensation due if the case is clearly proven in football too, which would push FIFA and national organisations into considering a professional ban.

The daftest thing about banning it for kids is that until over 12 most of them can't get the ball to head height, never mind need to actually head the thing.

Australian rugby league has a major problem on the horizon with compensation cases, which is the last thing they need at the same time as bad publicity about domestic violence.

The widow of Frank Kopel, late of Man Utd and Dundee Utd, spoke movingly about dementia on C4 news last night. He died of it in 2014. She grew up across the road from him, which is lovely, and could remember him practising heading a heavy ball again the wall when they were still in junior school.

Football has done what football excels at : dithering and indecision whilst possible issues develop into probable issues.

There has been lots of research, case studies and investigations by former pro footballers. The claims floodgate will soon open and heading a ball will be banned for all age groups within 5 years.

SJG99 wrote: It's the logical conclusion that something "proven" to be causing concussion and head trauma is banned ...
You'd think so, but in that case why wasn't boxing banned many years ago, or else the rules changed to make it illegal to hit above the shoulder? Head guards do little to prevent concussion; they are just to prevent/minimise facial damage.

In truth, any (semi-)contact sport that may involve sharp movements of the head could lead to concussions of varying degrees. Just the act of falling over in a legal tackle or from a trip (whether accidentally or deliberately brought about) will have the brain swishing around and possibly hitting the inside of your skull. So one may have to ban tackling, too.