Re: Grandstand - Macclesfield at Rodney Parade

Although I wasn't there, I understand and applaud MF's tactics to play Wilmott on the left with Green on the other wing.

Playing with 2 wingers shows positivity and a plan to attack. He'd obviously done his research on the Macc full-backs and thought he'd seen a weak link. In theory, a right-footed winger playing on the left will drive forward and then cut inside to deliver an inswinging cross with his right foot, and maybe that's where the perceived weakness in the Macc defence was, dealing with inswinging crosses.

Sounds like the plan didn't quite come off, although Robbie just coming back from injury would possibly not be as effective on the right as Green clearly was. But playing with 2 natural wingers is a good sign IMO.

I think the tactics will change completely for Saturday's trip to Plymouth. MF will be wary of Danny Mayor and will probably pack the midfield and sit Bennett in front of the defence to annul his threat. It will be a tough game, they have just signed a free-scoring non-league forward plus recalled a youngster from a loan at Truro (and he then scored a hat-trick in his first game back).

The plan will possibly be a 'backs to the wall' all-effort defensive game and then try to hit them on the break. Wouldn't be surprised to see Abrahams replace Matt for at least 30mins. A draw would be an excellent result.
Last edited by DeePeeNCAFC on January 30th, 2020, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Although I wasn't there, I understand and applaud MF's tactics to play Wilmott in the left with Green on the other wing.

Playing with 2 wingers shows positivity and a plan to attack. He'd obviously done his research on the Macc full-backs and thought he'd seen a weak link. In theory, a right-footed winger playing on the left will drive forward and then cut inside to deliver an inswinging cross with his right foot, and maybe that's where the perceived weakness in the Macc defence was, dealing with inswinging crosses.

Sounds like the plan didn't quite come off, although Robbie just coming back from injury would possibly not be as effective in the right as Green clearly was. But playing with 2 natural wingers is a good sign IMO.

I think the tactics will change completely for Saturday's trip to Plymouth. MF will be wary of Danny Mayor and will probably pack the midfield and sit Bennett in front of the defence to annul his threat. It will be a tough game, there just signed a free-scoring non-league forward plus recalled a youngster from a loan at Truro (and he then scored a hat-trick in his first game back).

The plan will possibly be a 'backs to the wall' all-effort defensive game and then try to hit them on the break. Wouldn't be surprised to see Abrahams replace Matt for at least 30mins. A draw would be an excellent result.
Don’t think Mayor has been playing much. Rumours linking him with clubs up north. As you say if he does play just put Benno on him as in previous games.

faerun exile wrote:
DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Although I wasn't there, I understand and applaud MF's tactics to play Wilmott in the left with Green on the other wing.

Sounds like the plan didn't quite come off, although Robbie just coming back from injury would possibly not be as effective in the right as Green clearly was. But playing with 2 natural wingers is a good sign IMO.

I think the tactics will change completely for Saturday's trip to Plymouth. MF will be wary of Danny Mayor and will probably pack the midfield and sit Bennett in front of the defence to annul his threat. It will be a tough game, there just signed a free-scoring non-league forward plus recalled a youngster from a loan at Truro (and he then scored a hat-trick in his first game back).

Don’t think Mayor has been playing much. Rumours linking him with clubs up north. As you say if he does play just put Benno on him as in previous games.
Mayor likely out with hamstring injury.