Re: Swindon Town

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Fourthousand wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Mr Figo wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:The town of Swindon has a population some 30,000 greater than Newport. However the conurbation of Newport is some 100,000 greater than that of Swindon. ( Swindon is surrounded by fields, Newport has Risca, Cwmbran etc.)

We can and must see the likes of Swindon as those who we compete with on an equal footing and get rid of the 'little old Newport' mentality.

I live just outside Swindon Stan and I can tell you that whilst it may be surrounded by fields, the supporter base for Swindon spreads throughout a wide area. Oxford is about 25 miles east, Bristol and Gloucester roughly 40 miles west, nothing much south until you hit Salisbury (who tend to follow Southampton and nothing much north until you hit Cheltenham. In between that you have various towns, Chippenham, Bath and Melksham to name but a few and then small villages and towns in between. That's in addition to the 30,000 you mention that live in and around Swindon.
Pause for a moment. If you read my post I am not saying anything other than Swindon are a club she should be able to compete with on an equal footing.

Nothing more, nothing less. Swindon are the club who represent Wiltshire. Population 472,000. As opposed to Newport who represent Gwent. Population 591,000.
Swindon haven't had a team that went bust and played non-league football for 25 years and hence haven't had to grow a club from scratch again. Swindon didn't lose a generation of fans because they had a team..etc. Swindon also are not tenants in an aged stadium and receive little in match day revenues from food and drink sales...
Perhaps because Swindon didn't limit their ambition?
Who are 'Swindon'? Are you saying 'Swindon' is/has been a constant being/entity that thinks different to 'Newport'. Are you saying the supporters of 'Swindon' through their ' ambition' (which is over and above their desire to watch their local football team) somehow attract similar ' ambitious' owners (reckless owners has been given as examples of poor business practice in recent years).

The area is many times more affluent than is Newport. As an example, many many individuals have made vast sums on money on their properties in and around Swindon JUST by living in their houses for the last 30 years, for example in and around the Oxford area. This gives individuals a 'confidence' (whether it is justified or not, it is often palatable), having wealth if you like (seen many examples of it). So not just surgeons or business owners or well paid professionals but other lesser paid workers can and do become property millionaires and that is from a standing start, again there is inheritance of big sums of money to individuals at relatively early ages which induces a ' confidence'. Consequently, there is a bigger pool of individuals who can go deep into their pockets than in Newport. There are individuals in the S East of England who could pack up their job on a teacher's salary, sell their 3 bedroom ex council house/flat and (if they were so inclined) and use it to become the Chair of a football club like ours.

All we need is a lottery winner.
Liverpool is really affluent too. As is Rotherham. Come to think of it only areas of ostentatious wealth make it to the big time.

Ra, ra, Guildford City!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to shout but please,

STOP MAKING EXCUSES.
Liverpool have historically been a big and well supported club ( I know of their time in lower league's) but over a ' lifetime' there is no comparison - in more recent times they have been ' caught up' ( favourably) in the PL bubble of money) TV / advertising and billion pound sponsorship deals.

Rotherham were taken out of administration a dozen years ago and still have an extremely wealth owner and Chairman.

Fourthousand wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Fourthousand wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Mr Figo wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:The town of Swindon has a population some 30,000 greater than Newport. However the conurbation of Newport is some 100,000 greater than that of Swindon. ( Swindon is surrounded by fields, Newport has Risca, Cwmbran etc.)

We can and must see the likes of Swindon as those who we compete with on an equal footing and get rid of the 'little old Newport' mentality.

I live just outside Swindon Stan and I can tell you that whilst it may be surrounded by fields, the supporter base for Swindon spreads throughout a wide area. Oxford is about 25 miles east, Bristol and Gloucester roughly 40 miles west, nothing much south until you hit Salisbury (who tend to follow Southampton and nothing much north until you hit Cheltenham. In between that you have various towns, Chippenham, Bath and Melksham to name but a few and then small villages and towns in between. That's in addition to the 30,000 you mention that live in and around Swindon.
Pause for a moment. If you read my post I am not saying anything other than Swindon are a club she should be able to compete with on an equal footing.

Nothing more, nothing less. Swindon are the club who represent Wiltshire. Population 472,000. As opposed to Newport who represent Gwent. Population 591,000.
Swindon haven't had a team that went bust and played non-league football for 25 years and hence haven't had to grow a club from scratch again. Swindon didn't lose a generation of fans because they had a team..etc. Swindon also are not tenants in an aged stadium and receive little in match day revenues from food and drink sales...
Who are 'Swindon'? Are you saying 'Swindon' is/has been a constant being/entity that thinks different to 'Newport'. Are you saying the supporters of 'Swindon' through their ' ambition' (which is over and above their desire to watch their local football team) somehow attract similar ' ambitious' owners (reckless owners has been given as examples of poor business practice in recent years).

The area is many times more affluent than is Newport. As an example, many many individuals have made vast sums on money on their properties in and around Swindon JUST by living in their houses for the last 30 years, for example in and around the Oxford area. This gives individuals a 'confidence' (whether it is justified or not, it is often palatable), having wealth if you like (seen many examples of it). So not just surgeons or business owners or well paid professionals but other lesser paid workers can and do become property millionaires and that is from a standing start, again there is inheritance of big sums of money to individuals at relatively early ages which induces a ' confidence'. Consequently, there is a bigger pool of individuals who can go deep into their pockets than in Newport. There are individuals in the S East of England who could pack up their job on a teacher's salary, sell their 3 bedroom ex council house/flat and (if they were so inclined) and use it to become the Chair of a football club like ours.

Liverpool is really affluent too. As is Rotherham. Come to think of it only areas of ostentatious wealth make it to the big time.

STOP MAKING EXCUSES.
Liverpool have historically been a big and well supported club ( I know of their time in lower league's) but over a ' lifetime' there is no comparison - in more recent times they have been ' caught up' ( favourably) in the PL bubble of money) TV / advertising and billion pound sponsorship deals.

Rotherham were taken out of administration a dozen years ago and still have an extremely wealth owner and Chairman.

I thought I told you to stop making excuses.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Fourthousand wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Fourthousand wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Mr Figo wrote:

STOP MAKING EXCUSES.

I thought I told you to stop making excuses.

It was/is a relative explanation of where each club is that you quoted in your attempt to support your view. You did not mention any of the football ship wrecks lying at the bed of the football ocean - many ex football league clubs, similar in age and in similar economic situations as is Newport.

I'll tell you something, do something if you think you have the answer, the golden ticket because everything that comes from you is just hot air - it is nothing more than that.

And cut the insults. They don't do you any favours.

As for doing something. I offered to put £1,000 into a ring fenced fund to develop a stadium. David Hando contacted me and asked me to drop it as the club had the situation in hand. Sensitive negotiations don't you know.

Unless or until the club engage with supporters with respect to developing proper infrastructure we will continue to not reach our full potential.

Do it then.

Canvas people and see if you've enough interest to start a fund.

Make sure you explain the legal obligations of Trust funds, the commitments of Trustee time and responsibility. Explain your rational of ring-fencing, that you want no input from the current club regime, but will expect them to comply to your terms, drop their own plans then move into a ground at your Trust's approval.

So canvas the interest on your terms, then realuse that's why it hasn't already materialised -
then return to sniping when you decide only you are right and everyone else is wrong.