County crossing the ball

After watching us cross the ball into the opposition area and the goal keeper always catching the ball in his hands from crosses, corners and free kicks because it's played into the 6 yard box is it time that the players put the ball more in the area of the penalty spot or 18 yard line and shoot?

Watching match of the day tonight most balls went into the area of the penalty spot, is this something that could make a difference to our poor finishing?

Re: County crossing the ball

somertonpark wrote:After watching us cross the ball into the opposition area and the goal keeper always catching the ball in his hands from crosses, corners and free kicks because it's played into the 6 yard box is it time that the players put the ball more in the area of the penalty spot or 18 yard line and shoot?

Watching match of the day tonight most balls went into the area of the penalty spot, is this something that could make a difference to our poor finishing?
Undoubtedly more accurate crossing into the box would create more goal scoring opportunities, yet I do feel that our low number of goals scored this season is as much to do with the large number of opportunities missed/squandered .

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
somertonpark wrote:After watching us cross the ball into the opposition area and the goal keeper always catching the ball in his hands from crosses, corners and free kicks because it's played into the 6 yard box is it time that the players put the ball more in the area of the penalty spot or 18 yard line and shoot?

Undoubtedly more accurate crossing into the box would create more goal scoring opportunities, yet I do feel that our low number of goals scored this season is as much to do with the large number of opportunities missed/squandered .
My own view, speaking as a goalkeeper, (admittedly of extremely limited talent) is that it is not so much accuracy as getting the ball into the danger area at pace. Competent defences will gobble up slow crosses all day, crosses whipped in at pace are much harder to deal with.

Percy plunkett wrote:A problem yesterday,Willmott just floated a corner and a free kick like catching practice for the keeper.Surely put some whip or power on it to give us a chance of a goal,or take Willmott off dead balls and use Sheehan.
Against Macclesfield last week Willmott overhit most of his crosses. I was willing to overlook it because he's just back from an extended period of injury and perhaps his radar needed tweaking. I hope he's not going to be doing similar tomorrow night...

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:Robbie is right footed.
Playing on the left side is totally pointless.
Willmott regularly played LWB back in 2013-15 with Ryan Jackson RWB. Both wing backs were excellent and gave us width. Combined with Chapman, Minshull and Byrne arguably the strongest midfield 5 we've had since we got back into the FL.

faerun exile wrote:
Willmott regularly played LWB back in 2013-15 with Ryan Jackson RWB. Both wing backs were excellent and gave us width. Combined with Chapman, Minshull and Byrne arguably the strongest midfield 5 we've had since we got back into the FL.

Exactly. Loads of wingers play on the opposite side that they're footed..

Regardless his best position is on the right by a mile.
Sorry but he is only playing there as he is a priority in Flynnys first 11.
No comparison with crosses from George Nurse.
So many balls went awry against Macclesfield.
I am one of his biggest fans, goodness knows the grief I get but on the left nowhere near as good despite contributors going back some 7 years to try and prove a point.

faerun exile wrote:
Jackson superb
Chapman total waste of talent preferred to be on Cloud 9
Minsh Love the bloke including getting me plastered on bottles of Red and Yager bombs but he struggled in Division 2.
Byrne too good for us.

Out of those 5 in those positions only Ryan and Byrne would improve our current squad based on those days in 2013-15

County need to vary their set pieces so much. Corners so many go straight to oppositions goalies more short and varied distribution needed. Free kicks again could be less predictable and it seems to me they have not established the best choice to take them Sheehan would be my choice and Demetriou hits a mean ball.
In my opinion more direct football running into penalty area with pace of Robbie and Jordan would cause more problems than crossing the ball and hoping for the best. With Green putting fear into defenders the only way to stop him is to hack him down and more chances of penalties.
With our poor scoring record changes are required asap.