Re: Abusing Players

If you're in the entertainment business then it goes with the territory,the players should be able to ignore it.The best way to shut them up is score a goal,then run to that person with your hands cupped round your ears.I've had it done to me a few times,I either ignore it,let the audience shut him/her up for me or,offer him/her the mic and ask them to show me how to sing.No one has ever took up the challenge,they cower down in their seat instead.It should be water off a ducks back for players.

Percy plunkett wrote:If you're in the entertainment business then it goes with the territory,the players should be able to ignore it.The best way to shut them up is score a goal,then run to that person with your hands cupped round your ears.I've had it done to me a few times,I either ignore it,let the audience shut him/her up for me or,offer him/her the mic and ask them to show me how to sing.No one has ever took up the challenge,they cower down in their seat instead.It should be water off a ducks back for players.
I have never shouted abuse at a player and in fairness it isn't going to help. Having said that it goes with the territory. And I agree it should be water off a ducks back.

Exile 1976 wrote:I bet it is water off a ducks back when they get abuse from opposition fans, but a lot harder to take when it’s your own fans dishing out the abuse.
I'm sure that's correct. But whether you like it or not many people use football to get rid of their tensions. Whilst there is a line, to a degree players need to just get on with it. As I say I have never shouted at a County player but if someone does, I think Percy is right. Just get on with it.

To me any ex player who has previously put a shift in for us as my example Ben Tozer does not deserve a F**k off Tozer comment.
That is when they came over for a drink break as well.
Doing the same to our players is just the same.
One exception though Westley. :lol:

Percy plunkett wrote:If you're in the entertainment business then it goes with the territory,the players should be able to ignore it.The best way to shut them up is score a goal,then run to that person with your hands cupped round your ears.I've had it done to me a few times,I either ignore it,let the audience shut him/her up for me or,offer him/her the mic and ask them to show me how to sing.No one has ever took up the challenge,they cower down in their seat instead.It should be water off a ducks back for players.
I agree, they should be able to ignore it. Most will, but some won’t. If we have a player at our club and they don’t deal with it very well then they aren’t going to be able to perform as well as they would. Which means we’re less likely to get a result. Beyond that if it’s a loan player who the manager likes it could be the difference between them signing for us on a permanent deal and not. Quite frankly having a go at your own players is moronic behaviour.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:I bet it is water off a ducks back when they get abuse from opposition fans, but a lot harder to take when it’s your own fans dishing out the abuse.
I'm sure that's correct. But whether you like it or not many people use football to get rid of their tensions. Whilst there is a line, to a degree players need to just get on with it. As I say I have never shouted at a County player but if someone does, I think Percy is right. Just get on with it.

Last edited by Exile 1976 on February 10th, 2020, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I hold my hands up I did have a go at Robbie about a poor corner he delivered it was because I am so passionate about County and kick every ball with the players. But I was not using foul or derogatory language I do not make a habit of this and people who know me at the County including Robbie know 99.9 % I am supporting the players and shouting positive and constructive comments.
Apologies Robbie but it was my heart ruling my brain at the time.

Someone shouted something at Hatswell as he made his way to the tunnel after the game. I looked around and he had his daughter with him.

Sums it up really.

If your going to shout something, at least make it witty or funny, preferably both.

Shouting the first thing that comes into your head is not a great idea, especially with the worryingly high number of tourette's sufferers that we seem to attract.

Any Club/Pub singer has a thick skin.We have rainy days when we get a heckler or we are just the 'Turn' in between the bingo.We did it for the nights when the audience are eating out of our hands,standing ovations and people wanting me to sign my CD and telling me how good I was.Lower League footballers are the same,they get flak,they have days like last Saturday,rainy Tuesday nights in Carlisle.They do it for the great nights,Leeds,Middlesbrough and Leicester nights,fans giving standing ovations and treating them like Royalty.No need to feel sorry for them,they know the score,maybe Wembley is around the corner and they are Gods again.There ain't sunshine without the rain.

Percy plunkett wrote:Any Club/Pub singer has a thick skin.We have rainy days when we get a heckler or we are just the 'Turn' in between the bingo.We did it for the nights when the audience are eating out of our hands,standing ovations and people wanting me to sign my CD and telling me how good I was.Lower League footballers are the same,they get flak,they have days like last Saturday,rainy Tuesday nights in Carlisle.They do it for the great nights,Leeds,Middlesbrough and Leicester nights,fans giving standing ovations and treating them like Royalty.No need to feel sorry for them,they know the score,maybe Wembley is around the corner and they are Gods again.There ain't sunshine without the rain.
Please answer this question honestly. It’s a straight yes or no. Do you think it is acceptable for a punter who has paid to watch one of your shows to scream verbal abuse at you during the show because he doesn’t like your performance? I’m not asking whether you can take it. You’ve already stated that you can. I’m asking if you think that’s acceptable.

C'mon A 'Porrrrt wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:Any Club/Pub singer has a thick skin.We have rainy days when we get a heckler or we are just the 'Turn' in between the bingo.We did it for the nights when the audience are eating out of our hands,standing ovations and people wanting me to sign my CD and telling me how good I was.Lower League footballers are the same,they get flak,they have days like last Saturday,rainy Tuesday nights in Carlisle.They do it for the great nights,Leeds,Middlesbrough and Leicester nights,fans giving standing ovations and treating them like Royalty.No need to feel sorry for them,they know the score,maybe Wembley is around the corner and they are Gods again.There ain't sunshine without the rain.
Please answer this question honestly. It’s a straight yes or no. Do you think it is acceptable for a punter who has paid to watch one of your shows to scream verbal abuse at you during the show because he doesn’t like your performance? I’m not asking whether you can take it. You’ve already stated that you can. I’m asking if you think that’s acceptable.
You have to define verbal abuse.

There is a world of difference between "You don't know what you're doing" chanted at most referees most Saturdays and "I hope your kids get cancer" which I have heard.

There are two issues here. One whether it is acceptable to have a go at your own players. My view being that whilst I would never do it and believe it to be counter productive that it is.

Secondly can letting off steam degenerate it unacceptable abuse. Again yes. The problem then being of course where that line should be drawn. Oddly for once Whoareya may have a point. He says 'it should at least be funny' which reminded me of what Oscar Wilde had to say on the subject. "Nothing which is funny is ever truly vulgar." Although perhaps I would argue that nothing which is vulgar is ever truly funny.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
C'mon A 'Porrrrt wrote:
You have to define verbal abuse.

There is a world of difference between "You don't know what you're doing" chanted at most referees most Saturdays and "I hope your kids get cancer" which I have heard.

There are two issues here. One whether it is acceptable to have a go at your own players. My view being that whilst I would never do it and believe it to be counter productive that it is.

Secondly can letting off steam degenerate it unacceptable abuse. Again yes. The problem then being of course where that line should be drawn. Oddly for once Whoareya may have a point. He says 'it should at least be funny' which reminded me of what Oscar Wilde had to say on the subject. "Nothing which is funny is ever truly vulgar." Although perhaps I would argue that nothing which is vulgar is ever truly funny.
I don’t think I need to define verbal abuse. Look at the original example given. And to reiterate, I’m not talking about abusing the referee or opposition players. The merits/drawbacks of doing that are a totally different point.