Do they have to..........................?

With the apparent sticking to the tactics of "hoofing" the ball high into the area" and hurling the throw ins also, do the players have to wait for the OK to change these instructions at half time etc or can they try something different as the game continues ? After reading the reports of matches and statements attributed to opposing managers before and after games, it seems that "stop the high ones" and you are home and dry. It seems that County opponents have "sussed" our team, and this seems exactly that, our "goals for" are minimal to put it mildly, and our strikers seem to be fighting a losing battle , with their backs to the opponents goal waiting for the high balls to arrive ....surely Amond is wasted on the bench,
And one more thing ,this is not an attack on Mike Flynn, our Manager, I think he is best for the club,!!
Come on the Port !! Bob Bassett

Re: Do they have to..........................?

BertieB wrote:With the apparent sticking to the tactics of "hoofing" the ball high into the area" and hurling the throw ins also, do the players have to wait for the OK to change these instructions at half time etc or can they try something different as the game continues ? After reading the reports of matches and statements attributed to opposing managers before and after games, it seems that "stop the high ones" and you are home and dry. It seems that County opponents have "sussed" our team, and this seems exactly that, our "goals for" are minimal to put it mildly, and our strikers seem to be fighting a losing battle , with their backs to the opponents goal waiting for the high balls to arrive ....surely Amond is wasted on the bench,
And one more thing ,this is not an attack on Mike Flynn, our Manager, I think he is best for the club,!!
Clearly not there yesterday Bob?

Tell you a secret he wasn't on the bench

Bob, my own view is that in recent games we've played the ball on the deck much more and even varied the throw-ins. There was a quick corner routine last night (executed poorly though and came to nothing). Micky is no longer first choice throw-in taker.

I applaud the team and MF for varying the tactics and the long ball, they'll pepper us with high balls rhetoric is now a bit of a dated myth.

The problems with how we play, as I see them, are none of our pack play close to each other and could offer support or a quick pass. The defence, as strong and able as they are, play 10-20 yards apart from each other. Midfield the same, although Sheehan, Labs and Dolan all covered a lot of ground last night.

Up front the situation is worse, Matt receives the ball but rarely are there other forwards or supporting midfielders within 20 sometimes 30-40 yards of Jamma. So he holds up play (really well for a big lad) but the opposition have time to get defenders back and surround Matt. We don't use the wing-backs properly, each should be bombing forward and overlapping Jamma when he's got the ball. Podge should be 5 yards max from him, requiring a burst of pace which he hasn't got.

Apart from the defence and King, our 'team' looks like a bunch of individuals all doing their best but not really playing as a team.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:My team for Saturday, assuming they're all fit enough to play. 442.

King
Iniss, Benno, Howkins, Micky
Green, Gorman (if fit, Dolan if not), Sheehan, Khan
Matt Collins

Subs - Woodiwiss, U18 GK, Podge (to play in midfield only), Robbie, Dolan, Waters, AN Other
Labs not even on the bench?
No right back either?
When did Gorman get injured?
Got to also ask when was Mickey demoted from taking virtually every throw within 30 metres of opposition line.
Sorry but cannot stop chuckling that "the long balls are a dated myth"

BertieB wrote:With the apparent sticking to the tactics of "hoofing" the ball high into the area" and hurling the throw ins also, do the players have to wait for the OK to change these instructions at half time etc or can they try something different as the game continues ? After reading the reports of matches and statements attributed to opposing managers before and after games, it seems that "stop the high ones" and you are home and dry. It seems that County opponents have "sussed" our team, and this seems exactly that, our "goals for" are minimal to put it mildly, and our strikers seem to be fighting a losing battle , with their backs to the opponents goal waiting for the high balls to arrive ....surely Amond is wasted on the bench,

Not having a go at the manager but questioning his selection and tactics ... What do we call that nowadays then ?????

RE Labs, an omission on my part, I'd put him on the bench. The other 4 midfielders in my proposed line-up all suit our play better than Labs at present. No point in trying to shoe-horn Labs into a formation where he doesn't fit or there are others playing better currently. Same with Robbie for me. Neither have done much wrong, but equally neither have really strengthened the side.

Gorman limped off last Saturday, hopefully just a knock.

E1976 - interested in seeing your ideas and team selection and then, perhaps, I'll let you criticise mine. Changes need to be made for sure, but just small ones for me, with the 6 offensive-minded players needing to start playing better as a unit.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:My team for Saturday, assuming they're all fit enough to play. 442.

King
Matt Collins

Subs - Woodiwiss, U18 GK, Podge (to play in midfield only), Robbie, Dolan, Waters, AN Other
I agree with your earlier post around the team at the back and individuals elsewhere although I think the issue is midfield and the mix of players we have.
As for your team I do not think we are at our best at 4-4-2 and would swap Podge for Howkins or Innis and play Collins as the left wing back. If he and Green could get forward quickly which I think they can and Podge plays a bit closer to Matt we could solve our issue of keeping momentum from the long balls that are won as Matt would have lay off options two quick wide players could also open up the defence to give Podge more room.

County ranger wrote:

King
Matt Collins

I agree with your earlier post around the team at the back and individuals elsewhere although I think the issue is midfield and the mix of players we have.
As for your team I do not think we are at our best at 4-4-2 and would swap Podge for Howkins or Innis and play Collins as the left wing back. If he and Green could get forward quickly which I think they can and Podge plays a bit closer to Matt we could solve our issue of keeping momentum from the long balls that are won as Matt would have lay off options two quick wide players could also open up the defence to give Podge more room.
I think we're pretty much in agreement Ranger, I'd much prefer a 352 with attacking wing-backs and am aware it's a risk meddling with what has been a strong defensive unit.

However, wing-backs are meant to get up and down the pitch rapidly, supporting the attack, getting in behind the opposing defence and delivering quality crosses. Liverpool do this to perfection most games. But Robbie and Haynes haven't managed the attacking part of their role recently so what do we do? I agree that Lewis Collins has the energy to perhaps play wing-back but don't know whether he can defend.

Therefore I think having 4 in midfield, including the hardworking Gorman and Sheehan and the trickery of Green and Khan in wider roles allows them to support two on-form* strikers in Collins and Matt. Get the combination right and I feel Jamma will hit 2 or 3 in a single game soon.

* By this I mean they're making a better contribution than others except for their goal returns.

Sorry but just come on here again and chuckling away.
"I feel Jamma will hit 2 or 3 in a game soon"
Question when did he last score a hat trick for us.
Think it was myself who achieved that last and before McBurnie maybe wrong but are they the only 2 since getting back in the league.
An easier task how many times has Jamille scored 2 for us?
Then we are discussing Collins as a left wing back.
100% agree with Exile earlier, really is comical.
Sorry Lads.

ps glad you agree with each other.

Matt hits a Hat trick this season £50 for the charity of your choice as it would be worth seeing that.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:

I applaud the team and MF for varying the tactics and the long ball, they'll pepper us with high balls rhetoric is now a bit of a dated myth.
We do mix it up occasionally, but to say that it's a dated myth that we play long ball???

I don't know what games you've been watching, but even when we went on our winning streak earlier in the season we've been very much a long ball team. Isolate Jamille Matt and you've effectively taken our attacking threat out of the game. This season has been some of the most frustrating football I've watched in the last few years. We know we have the footballers to play it on the deck so why aren't we doing it? It can only come down to tactics that are being trained.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:Sorry but just come on here again and chuckling away.
"I feel Jamma will hit 2 or 3 in a game soon"
Question when did he last score a hat trick for us.
Think it was myself who achieved that last and before McBurnie maybe wrong but are they the only 2 since getting back in the league.
An easier task how many times has Jamille scored 2 for us?
Then we are discussing Collins as a left wing back.
100% agree with Exile earlier, really is comical.
Sorry Lads.

ps glad you agree with each other.

Matt hits a Hat trick this season £50 for the charity of your choice as it would be worth seeing that.
Aaron o Connor 2014 v bury