Match thread 29/02 Oldham Ath v Newport County

Evening. Given Reebok is recovering from his ailment, I thought I'd start a matchday thread for tomorrow's League 2 game. I won't be able to do it justice or reproduce the quality Reebok does but maybe I can be his incapable stand-in for just one match.

Most of the following has been shamelessly 'borrowed' from Oldham's website:

Oldham haven't won for 4 games but haven't lost at home since New Year's Day. Their manager Dino Maamria needs no introductions.

They are facing some off-field problems, served with an HMRC winding-up order earlier today and there are whispers that an administration order may follow. That would be awful news for their club and fans, possibly good news for the likes of Stevenage if the league imposed a points deduction as they often do in these situations. It will also mean they'll be battling hard for all 3 points tomorrow.

Latics are looking to put four winless games behind them when they welcome Newport County to Boundary Park tomorrow afternoon (3pm KO).

Form Guide
Neither side go into the game in good form, the Exiles have won one of their last six Sky Bet League Two games with Latics only winning two of their last six.

Newport have lost their last four games on the road whereas Oldham are undefeated in four on home soil.

Head-to-Head
Latics have won six of the 11 meetings between the two clubs, drawing two and losing three.

Oldham got the better of County when they met earlier in the season at Rodney Parade in a 1-0 away win on 23rd Nov.

Newport County 0-1 Oldham Athletic - 23rd November 2019, Zak Mills scored the only goal of the game in added-on time at end of the first-half.

County are currently 16th in the league table, three places and five points better off than Latics going into the game.

Team News
It is expected that Gary Woods may be absent in the Latics goal again after suffering a thigh injury last weekend that has disrupted his training and is doubtful as a result.

Cameron Borthwick-Jackson is expected to make a return to the starting XI.

Newport were boosted by the return of George Nurse on Tuesday, following a time out injured.

Captain Joss Labadie will miss the game after picking up a suspension against Grimsby Town.

Familiar Faces
Current Brisbane Roar forward Aaron Amadi-Holloway has played for both clubs.

Another player who has played for both clubs is Keanu Marsh-Brown who recently left Newport County and has signed for Memphis 901 in the Sates where former Latics favourite Jose Baxter joined this month.

Match Officials
Thomas Bramall will be the man in charge tomorrow afternoon for the Sky Bet League Two fixture (3pm KO).

The referee has only officiated two games this season due to injury which were earlier this month; Scunthorpe v Cambridge and Macclesfield v Exeter.

This is his second season in the Football League with his last game involving Latics being on the last day of the season at Boundary Park in the defeat to Northampton.

He will be assisted by David Avent and Mark Cunliffe with the Fourth Official being Chris Isherwood.

Sky Bet Odds
Both sides are priced at 13/8 to secure maximum points at Boundary Park, whilst the draw is 21/10.

I'm going for County to win 2-1 with goals from Benno and Khan. That's assuming the game goes ahead. Safe trip for all those Exiles travelling.

There you go folks, I tried.....

Re: Match thread 29/02 Oldham Ath v Newport County

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
JonD wrote:Good read. Well done.

I'm not going. Even in the height of summer Oldham seems the bleakest spot in Britain.
Clearly never been to Brynmawr.
I would second that. The highest town in Wales above sea level allegedly.
However, hoping for a win today, to at least maintain some feel good factor and prevent the home crowd for next Sat falling to much. Would be such a shame to see attendances plummet for the remaining 5 home matches after the increase so far this season.
Do fear for the state of the pitch at RP next week after the Dragons 2 games today and next Fri evening.
I note that Tranmere's game has been postponed today, already. Maybe others to follow? FGR also now.

9am update from Oldham -
Information regarding the Oldham v Newport league fixture.

As it stands the club are confident that today's match against Newport County at Boundary Park will go ahead as planned (3pm KO).

Due to the persistent heavy rain over the past 24 hours across the UK, it has meant the pitch has taken on a lot of water but is draining well.

Thanks to the proactive work of the grounds team once again the surface has stood up to the weather with currently no further pitch inspection planned.

I'll be glad when this prolonged awful weather ceases. Bar a few dry days over Xmas, it seems to have rained constantly mid October to now.

George Street-Bridge wrote:I see Oldham are facing a winding-up order from HMRC, for a debt they say they are in the process of clearing. Yet in January they managed to sign one of the National League's top scorers over the last few seasons.
Had a brief look at the Oldham forum. I think there may be two actions pending. HMRC chasing overdue taxes and a threat of administration from the person/company who funded their new stand. Another straw for Stevenage to clutch at.