Next step?

So what's the next step from the EFL. Could there be another ban,will the season end, and will teams be promoted or relegated. We are still one team short with the bury situation,so how will they solve that. Intreging times ahead and on a personal note really worried about my family holiday in August in Spain :evil:

Re: Next step?

Well, football clearly becomes a very low priority over the next few weeks and months. The FA have quite a few options, my 'best guess' is that the Euros will be cancelled (possibly for a whole 4 years, maybe postponed until next year). This will give domestic leagues the summer period to conclude their leagues and cups if the virus has declined sufficiently.

Pre-season breaks are getting shorter and shorter each year anyway (roughly now only 4wks) so I reckon we've got 12 weeks left of the 19-20 season, if we re-start domestic games in, say, July then the season would run until mid September. Take 3-4 weeks off and start the 20-21 season in mid October plus -

Suspend the league cup and EFL cup, and don't play those games next season.

Redirect more of the TV deal money to support lower league (EFL and below) clubs who will be facing significant financial pressure over the remainder of this year.

Introduce a transfer and loan ban from May 2020, so players whose contracts expire this season effectively see their deals extended to Sept, thus helping clubs worried about player exodus come May. Also stops those clubs who can afford it from signing new players to enhance their end of season squads.

UPTHEPORT wrote:Just my opinion but I think this season will be written off

The government is about to isolate anyone over 70 for months if the press stories are correct

This is going to drag on and the start of next season looks distant as well
Well how daft is that.
I am 70 touch wood never ever had a stay in hospital never had the flu.
Run 5k in 29 minutes and they want me to lock myself away for 4 months.
You cannot make this up.
I know unfortunately very unhealthy people 20 years younger than myself.
Have plans by all means but don't come out with daft ideas like that. :roll:

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:

The government is about to isolate anyone over 70 for months if the press stories are correct

Well how daft is that.
You cannot make this up.
It does seem ott to me Frank. I’d like to see some sort of plan to identify the vulnerable in society and then quarantine them. Harsh I know. The elderly with underlying health conditions, those with respiratory illness, diabetes etc. If a lot of them become sick then the NHS is stuffed. Protect the vulnerable and protect the front line staff. If we don’t, ...........

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:

Well how daft is that.
You cannot make this up.
I agree with you Frank, but how else can the State protect those who are most vulnerable? They can hardly say 'anyone aged 70+ who feels fit and healthy are allowed out while those of you with some existing health worries must stay at home'. What would be sensible though, is for the elderly who have no means of support to have their food and medication delivered to them through the gig network, and for folk to know that, generally, there's nothing to stop them going for a walk if they feel well enough so long as social interaction is avoided.

The daft thing is like I said I have mates way below 70 who are actually vulnerable.
I certainly am not.
You may see in the coming weeks on the news a runner being chased down the canal pursued by a number of chaps with tadpole fishing nets trying to catch him.

Its not funny the situation but to put a number(age) on who self isolates is madness.

Ask anybody with underlying problems any age including those in care homes fair enough.

By the way what a boring wet miserable morning with crap to read in the papers.

I know its shit but I like the Mail for sport but they are loving this current scenario.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:

Well how daft is that.
You cannot make this up.
Look on the bright side - its given you something different to moan about.

If it gets implemented it might safeguard as many people of your age group as possible, is that really an unreasonable proposition?

In my opinion. because different teams have played differing numbers of games, the only fair way is to use their projected finishing positions, calculated by the number of points collected per game, multiplied by 46.....then use GD to separate any two teams that have the same number.
So if the season were to be curtailed today, this is how I would place them:

TEAM NAME.......PLD.....PTS......
Swindon Town .....36........69........88
Crewe Alexandra 37........69.........86
Plymouth Argyle..37.........68.........85
Cheltenham Town.36.......64.........82
Exeter City............37.......65.........81
Northampton T......37.......58.........72
Port Vale..............36........56.........72
Colchester U........37........57.........71
Bradford City........37........54.........67
Forest Green.......36........49.........63
Salford City..........37........50.........62
NEWPORT CO....35.......46.........60
Walsall.................36.......47..........60
Grimsby Town......37.......47..........58
Crawley Town......37.......46..........57
Cambridge...........37.......45..........56
Leyton Orient......36........42..........54
Oldham Athletic..37........41..........51
Carlisle United ...36.........39..........50
Scunthorpe U......37........40..........50
Mansfield Town...36........38..........49
Morecambe.........37........32..........40
Macclesfield T.....37........30..........37
Stevenage..........36.........22..........28

Promotion Play-Offs could be decided upon by the drawing of straws for who goes up.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:

Well how daft is that.
You cannot make this up.

I personally can't wait perhaps us workers will be able to get doctors appointments now and get to the counter at post offices :roll:

I've always thought that the playoffs are unfair anyway.If your projection happened then Port Vale could still go up,even though they were ten points behind Cheltenham.It probably will always be because It's a good money spinner and it keeps the season alive for so many clubs.It should really be the top four and no playoffs.

Are teams allowed to train or is that considered likely to spread the virus.If so,if the ban is lifted on April 3,then players will be lacking match fitness.Will there be another delay to allow training to start or,will matches be like preseason with players half paced.If it does start then of course,the longer the break the lack of fitness will increase.