Re: Season End, what’s your view?

Local junior league has been declared null and void. Personally I think that decision is a little premature. Kids turn up for games in their kit, play for 70-80mins and then leave straight after the game. No sharing changing rooms, showers etc. So less chance of passing anything on. Handshake ban, towels to wipe the ball before throw-ins, players wearing gloves are all good precautions.

I'm not saying we're ready for any form of football, as clearly we're not and it's a very, very low priority and I wouldn't want to see any team games for kids or adults until the Government's experts say it's ok to do so. Potentially that could be any time July-Dec, anyone's guess.

But - at whatever level, junior or Prem League - I think declaring this season as null and void causes more hassle than the other options. Look at those teams who played Bolton early in the season when they could only field their youth team, opponents were getting cricket scores against them, then things changed when they started signing pro players again. Not fair on the team's who played them later. Look at Liverpool, whose kit deal with New Balance ends in May, and Nike then take over supplying their kits. New Balance paid millions to the club and deserve/expect to see their successful team holding the Prem trophy in NB kit.

At local levels, if junior or senior leagues are declared null and void, clubs will want to get their league and cup entry fees refunded, players banned and fined for being sent off will expect those sanctions to be overturned.

Personally, I'd put every league on hold and continue when the State says it's safe to do so, never before that. If that means deferring or altering next season so be it.

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Amberexile wrote:From the Non-League Paper -

The National League have asked The FA for assistance in postponing all remaining fixtures and to end the season as soon as possible.

There the only ones talking sense

Null and void 2019/20 season it doesn't matter
Fair do’s, you do sometimes come out with some pathetic suggestions. Still think the Coronavirus is over rated compared to the annual flu epidemic do you? That was another of your hair brained suggestions.

I havent seen this being discussed any where but if the season is ended without being completed an additional problem for the EFL is what to do because of the demise of Bury FC?

Would League 1 operate with 23 teams again or would they promote a team from League 2?
If someone gets promoted from League 2 who do they choose? Crewe are top on goal difference but they have played one extra game than Swindon.

At least this may allow Barrow to get promoted.

pembsexile wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:

The National League have asked The FA for assistance in postponing all remaining fixtures and to end the season as soon as possible.

Fair do’s, you do sometimes come out with some pathetic suggestions. Still think the Coronavirus is over rated compared to the annual flu epidemic do you? That was another of your hair brained suggestions.

Its my opinion Mike that the season should be ended yes what is wrong with that its the safest way to do it hope to start the new season late August early September

Then clubs like ours got time to prepare

We got to get our pitch sorted for one

In football business terms (although I accept these are virtually irrelevant in today's dreadful climate), there is too much to lose by cancelling the current season.

Money talks. UEFA will insist the rest of the Champions League and Europa League are played or they stand to lose £000Ms in withdrawn TV and sponsorship deals. The EPL will be the same, the top clubs have already spent their squillions paid in the Sky deal, and Sky will want the games played at some point. Too many managers have lost their jobs at all levels this season, so if we now write off the season that will have been in vain.

When we get the go-ahead that it's safe to do so, I firmly believe the season should re-start and then we can figure out how next season will start. If it means we just get a 2-3 week break before the new season, plus maybe a similar winter break then so be it.

UPTHEPORT wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:

Its my opinion Mike that the season should be ended yes what is wrong with that its the safest way to do it hope to start the new season late August early September

Then clubs like ours got time to prepare

We got to get our pitch sorted for one
Nowt wrong with opinions Jim. That’s what this forum is for.

My own opinion of footie - whilst it seems an irrelevance at the moment, I suspect that there is far too much money invested for it to be declared null and void. I reckon the leagues will start up behind closed doors in the summer months, finish, have a short break, and then restart sometime in late Oct when we all recover. The Euros I believe have been put back one year. Good.

Sad to say, but piddly little clubs like us won’t get much say in matters. The sponsors, the FA, TV companies and the big clubs will call the shots and play the financial card to the government.

Hope your symptoms don’t develop and you recover soon. Regarding the Porters jobs, trust me, you all do a fantastic job, I have first hand experience of that. There is no such thing as a normal day in work at the moment. If it wouldn’t have been for them yesterday and Tuesday in our hospital, our department wouldn’t have been able to function properly. That’s a fact, not an opinion. Well done to them all.

Willthiswork wrote:Just end it now. All positions stand valid. It's an unprecedented situation that calls for an unprecedented solution. There will be winners and losers for sure but that's where we are.
While just end it now seems the obvious solution, I suspect UEFA postponed the Euro's in favour of completing domestic leagues based mainly on financial concerns that will win out if time permits.

Exile 1976 wrote:Feel really bad for Jersey Bulls & Vauxhall Motors as they had already gained promotion, for that now to be null and void is just wrong

I agree but as usual money talks..
Imagine the fall out if they do the same to Liverpool..they have the finances to take the Premier League / the FA through every court in the land to win their case if they dont give them the Premier League Title this season

Ok, imagine starting next season and unless you play 46 games (in league 2) nothing that goes on until that last game counts, does that seem fair???
If that is how football wants to operate I think it will lose a lot of support, 50% of any season should be enough to form a full result. It’s not like no one tries from the first game or we have a pacemaker to keep the other teams up to speed, each team has had the same chance, just accept you are where you are, there is no one else to blame!!!!

I guess they have just gone for a one size fits all solution below National League level. There were a couple of club chairmen on the radio this morning (including Maldon and Tiptree) whose clubs are top of their league by a wide margin. For each hard luck story like these, there's a get out of jail card for a team which was staring down the barrel of certain relegation. I have read somewhere a suggestion that a 'one up/one down' system is used in all leagues using points per game to level up. That too would cause arguments and upset a few.