Longest Mid-Season Break

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

Blackandamber

Cwmbran

Longest Mid-Season Break

Postby Blackandamber » April 4th, 2020, 10:15 am

The longest period that I can remember during which the County didn't play a match during the season was in 1962/63. This was my first season as a County supporter. They didn't play a game from 22nd December 1962 until 27th February 1963. That's a total of 67 days, or 9 weeks and 4 days.They then played 7 games in each month of March, April and May. They didn't play a home game for almost 3 months.

The reason for the mid-season break was the big freeze of that winter. Anyone else remember a longer mid-season break apart from war time.
Last edited by Blackandamber on April 4th, 2020, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Special branch

Re: Longest Mid-Season Break

Postby Special branch » April 4th, 2020, 10:23 am

I remember this vividly. It slammed down with snow around Boxing Day but we all knew football would be back to normal at some stage. This was the end of the Jimmy Singer era and the advent of Bonson and Hunt.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Postby pembsexile » April 4th, 2020, 11:45 am

Special branch wrote:I remember this vividly. It slammed down with snow around Boxing Day but we all knew football would be back to normal at some stage. This was the end of the Jimmy Singer era and the advent of Bonson and Hunt.

I remember that Boxing Day vividly. I was 7 years old. We were at my Nans house in Durham Rd when it started snowing heavily. My dad tried to drive us home but the car wouldn’t go up Hove Avenue. It was there for weeks.
no avatar
User

Blackandamber

Cwmbran

Postby Blackandamber » April 4th, 2020, 5:13 pm

pembsexile wrote:
Special branch wrote:I remember this vividly. It slammed down with snow around Boxing Day but we all knew football would be back to normal at some stage. This was the end of the Jimmy Singer era and the advent of Bonson and Hunt.

I remember that Boxing Day vividly. I was 7 years old. We were at my Nans house in Durham Rd when it started snowing heavily. My dad tried to drive us home but the car wouldn’t go up Hove Avenue. It was there for weeks.

I remember that Boxing Day vividly too. I was 9 years old. We were at my Aunty Gladys's flat in Pontnewydd when it started bucketing down with snow. Fortunately we were only 200 yards from home.
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Postby George Street-Bridge » April 6th, 2020, 5:38 am

Didn't go to school between Christmas and Easter because the school toilets were in an outside block and the pipes stayed frozen.
no avatar
User

Blackandamber

Cwmbran

Postby Blackandamber » April 6th, 2020, 10:37 am

George Street-Bridge wrote:Didn't go to school between Christmas and Easter because the school toilets were in an outside block and the pipes stayed frozen.

Them were the days. The kids these days don't know they're born.
no avatar
User

Blackandamber

Cwmbran

Postby Blackandamber » May 9th, 2020, 3:41 pm

Blackandamber wrote:The longest period that I can remember during which the County didn't play a match during the season was in 1962/63. This was my first season as a County supporter. They didn't play a game from 22nd December 1962 until 27th February 1963. That's a total of 67 days, or 9 weeks and 4 days.They then played 7 games in each month of March, April and May. They didn't play a home game for almost 3 months.

The reason for the mid-season break was the big freeze of that winter. Anyone else remember a longer mid-season break apart from war time.

It's now 60 days since we played our last match - at Carlisle on 10th March. So just another 8 days before it's our longest post-war mid-season break.
no avatar
User

Blackandamber

Cwmbran

Postby Blackandamber » May 22nd, 2020, 7:05 pm

Blackandamber wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:The longest period that I can remember during which the County didn't play a match during the season was in 1962/63. This was my first season as a County supporter. They didn't play a game from 22nd December 1962 until 27th February 1963. That's a total of 67 days, or 9 weeks and 4 days.They then played 7 games in each month of March, April and May. They didn't play a home game for almost 3 months.

It's now 60 days since we played our last match - at Carlisle on 10th March. So just another 8 days before it's our longest post-war mid-season break.

Now that the season is over, it is not our longest MID-SEASON BREAK, rather it is the third time that Newport County has failed to complete a season.