Re: Coronavirus - Elderly should avoid LARGE Crowds

Today (24th April) Wales reports more deaths in 24 hours than any other UK nation, but that is because 84 deaths in north Wales which happened over the past month were only reported today. This gave a total of 110 when it had been averaging 20 to 30 a day for a couple of weeks. Including the 110 reported today Wales has reported 751 out of a UK total of 19,506 deaths in hospital. With 4.6 % of the UK population, to have more deaths than the UK average, Wales would have to have more than 900 not 750. So Wales is suffering fewer deaths than average as I said above. But the deaths that have occurred have been concentrated in the south east which is why RGH has taken such a hammering. Again, as I said above.

G Guest wrote:Today (24th April) Wales reports more deaths in 24 hours than any other UK nation, but that is because 84 deaths in north Wales which happened over the past month were only reported today. This gave a total of 110 when it had been averaging 20 to 30 a day for a couple of weeks. Including the 110 reported today Wales has reported 751 out of a UK total of 19,506 deaths in hospital. With 4.6 % of the UK population, to have more deaths than the UK average, Wales would have to have more than 900 not 750. So Wales is suffering fewer deaths than average as I said above. But the deaths that have occurred have been concentrated in the south east which is why RGH has taken such a hammering. Again, as I said above.
Yes you're right. Wales has had more cases per person than England but not as many deaths. My mistake. At one time Newport had more cases per person than even the worst boroughs in London.

Bizarre isn't it?
A couple of months ago statistics were all about where we would finish in the league,goals for percentage goals per match other teams performances.
Now its percentages of how many have died, there are more cases per head in other areas
I find it a touch macabre this forum needs it's statistics fix whatever they are
Let's all grin and bear it and look forward to better times
Stay safe everbody

mad norm wrote:Bizarre isn't it?
A couple of months ago statistics were all about where we would finish in the league,goals for percentage goals per match other teams performances.
Now its percentages of how many have died, there are more cases per head in other areas
I find it a touch macabre this forum needs it's statistics fix whatever they are
Stay safe everbody
Quite agree Norm. Whilst information is important, there seems to be an obsession with statistics in the country. Don’t people realise that the statistics that are presented by the Government on a regular basis are collated by NHS staff on a daily basis. Is that what they are employed for? We are all in this together. Our NHS staff have been superb.

When the second surge hits (some time after the lockdown is withdrawn) unless we get a vaccine, it won’t matter what area/hospital you are in, we will all be in the doo-doo. London, the Midlands, Liverpool, Middlesbrough, even the Royal Gwent have all been hit hard, but it could get much worse.

pembsexile wrote:
Quite agree Norm. Whilst information is important, there seems to be an obsession with statistics in the country. Don’t people realise that the statistics that are presented by the Government on a regular basis are collated by NHS staff on a daily basis. Is that what they are employed for? We are all in this together. Our NHS staff have been superb.

When the second surge hits (some time after the lockdown is withdrawn) unless we get a vaccine, it won’t matter what area/hospital you are in, we will all be in the doo-doo. London, the Midlands, Liverpool, Middlesbrough, even the Royal Gwent have all been hit hard, but it could get much worse.
Yes. It is (a part of) what they are employed for.

First, you can't bury/cremate someone until the death has been registered, but you can't register a death at a registry office until you have a death certificate, and only doctors can issue death certificates. This has been the law since 1837 (I think).

Second, covid-19 is a notifiable disease in law. So, the number of confirmed covid-19 cases and deaths from it in hospital have to be ascertained.

Doctors and nurses do not supply the statistics (the actual analysis of those numbers). I would imagine that as part of the normal procedure with any notifiable disease and/or hospital death that the patient's details are probably entered onto the NHS's computer system by doctors and nurses as appropriate. These details would then be collated and analysed by NHS admin staff statisticians locally, regionally and nationally and supplied to the appropriate people and also passed to the ONS.

Those numbers passed on by the hospital to the ONS will be collated and analysed by the ONS's own statisticians and combined with the data on deaths from places like hospices, care homes, prisons and the like at around a week to a fortnight later. Those statistics are then disseminated and reported as appropriate, often resulting in modifications to earlier releases of numbers.

And as G. Guest points out, w/o statistics you fight blind. Without the statistics you could not follow the progress of the disease, and you could not enforce/police/modify mitigation measures, or judge their efficacy. You would not know "When the second surge hits".

Statistics is information.

I quite enjoyed some of the reasons people gave to the police for having broken lockdown guidelines:

My son is a rubbish cook so I take him food every day"

"I've just been to feed the fish"

"I've been to buy nail clippers for the dog"

"I've bought a new catapult and wanted to try it out"

"I don't watch the news - what's going on?"

"I'm taking my mate into Newport to buy drugs"

"I am taking my quad bike for a walk and I promise I am not going ride it around a field"

"I thought I heard someone may be in trouble, so I came to have a look but I don't know their name or remember the person who told me it".

JonD wrote:I quite enjoyed some of the reasons people gave to the police for having broken lockdown guidelines:

My son is a rubbish cook so I take him food every day"

"I've just been to feed the fish"

"I've been to buy nail clippers for the dog"

"I've bought a new catapult and wanted to try it out"

"I don't watch the news - what's going on?"

"I'm taking my mate into Newport to buy drugs"

"I am taking my quad bike for a walk and I promise I am not going ride it around a field"

"I thought I heard someone may be in trouble, so I came to have a look but I don't know their name or remember the person who told me it".
Wot? No-one going to the old Sainsbury's to see if it was big enough for a stadium?

pembsexile wrote:
mad norm wrote:Bizarre isn't it?
Stay safe everbody

Every single person who dies regardless of where they live in the world is a tragedy for them, their family and their friends. The family and friends of our own Gary (Newgroundrodney) will vouch for that. The reason I mentioned the daily briefing figures from Downing Street is that they don't take into account the populations of the various UK regions. Gwent and in particular Newport have been hit as hard as anywhere in the UK, and we all need to be really careful in following the stay at home rules so that the spread of the disease doesn't get worse again.