Re: Laws of the game Quiz

I'll add one more question based on PFA Chairman Gordon Taylor's suggestion yesterday.

Taylor suggested once the season restarts in the PL (behind closed doors, at neutral venues, players tested twice weekly etc) that games could be played lasting less than 45mins each half.

My question - can this be done within the current game rules and, if so, how would it work?

I know the answer. Thanks.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:I'll add one more question based on PFA Chairman Gordon Taylor's suggestion yesterday.

Taylor suggested once the season restarts in the PL (behind closed doors, at neutral venues, players tested twice weekly etc) that games could be played lasting less than 45mins each half.

My question - can this be done within the current game rules and, if so, how would it work?

I know the answer. Thanks.
I was told as a local ref if you think you can't get 90 minutes in say a team was late turning up for midweek game and you know the light won't last you can get both captain's to agree on as low as a 70 minute game 35 each way but I always got them to sign a bit of paper before so no arguments after that's my tip :)

I once saw a decent-standard local non-league game near Reading where this happened after an injury where the player couldn't be moved and they had to wait for an ambulance to come onto the pitch. (Dislocated knee very near where I was standing, horrible.) All the time lost came out of the second half, I think they wound up playing about 80 minutes.

George Street-Bridge wrote:I once saw a decent-standard local non-league game near Reading where this happened after an injury where the player couldn't be moved and they had to wait for an ambulance to come onto the pitch. (Dislocated knee very near where I was standing, horrible.) All the time lost came out of the second half, I think they wound up playing about 80 minutes.
Had a keeper with a broken leg at Risca few years back took ambulance over an hour after 40 minutes wait i abandoned the match

Yes, a game can be less than 90mins subject to the following -

- Both teams need to agree this with the ref before the game starts.
- Both halves have to be equal duration, so not a 45min first half and 35min second half.
- Exceptions are for abandoned games due to serious injury or worsening weather/poor pitch.

My guess is the PL will agree to play 90min games with no stoppage time for matches which could make a difference to Euro league places or relegation, but will play 70min games for mid-table 'dead rubbers' or games where either side was forced to make lots of team changes before the game due to players testing positive etc.

I agree about there being little point in playing 'dead rubber games' except in the PL extra prize money is given if, say, you finish 10th instead of 11th. But every league in every season has these games, Palace v Everton maybe with nothing at stake for either side. No-one's interested in the game except the supporters so maybe use these as an opportunity to blood an 18yo youth team player.

Certainly I hope County can give more game time to a couple of younger players like Collins and Woodiwiss.

UPTHEPORT wrote:1 Team A is awarded a Direct Free Kick (DFK) from outside their penalty area. Team A has a wayward defender take the kick and it goes directly into his own goal. What?s the restart?

Answer Corner kick

2 Just as the attackers takes a shot on goal the ball bursts and rolls to a stop just in front of him. He then kicks the ball into the net whats your call...

Drop ball no goal and of course replace ball

3 A player takes a corner kick the ball rebounds from the goal post and the same player kicks the ball into the net what action would you take

Answer IDFK to defending team no goal

4Player Red is throwing in the ball. A Blue defending player yells out ?Over here? deliberatly confusing the thrower. The thrower inadvertantly throws the ball to Blue. What action would you take

Caution blue player and indirect free kick to reds

5 if a player stops to tie their shoes during a game and the ball hits them when they are not looking. You should

Play on

6 A goalkeeper and an attacking player on a fifty /fifty ball collide and slide over the goalline some 10 feet into the area inside the netting between the goal posts. The ball is stopped on the goal line.The attacker attempts to reach his leg out, intending to draw the ball back over the goalline. The keeper scambles over top of the attacker in an attempt to grab the ball pinning the attacker's legs preventing him from doing so. A defender then manages to clear the ball from the area. What is your decision?

goalkeeper would be cautioned and play restarted with a dropped ball on the goal area line straight up from where the ball was when play was stopped

7 A goalkeeper is hurt during the course of a shootout and a substitute keeper from the bench is making ready to enter the field. An opposing player makes a snide remark of "Chicken" to the keeper who then strikes the opposing player. What are your options?

Keeper is sent off violent conduct no substitute allowed so out field player has to take his place in goal
Caution opposing player

8 : A player makes a pass towards his teammate who is in offside position running in the direction of the ball inside the opponents Penalty Area. An opponent reaches out with his hand and deliberately deflects the ball with his hand away from the goal to the player whom the pass was intended. Your action is:

Play is brought back for offside offence

Just for fun let's see your knowledge of the laws of the game

No Google mind :evil: