Re: When footy resumes

George Street-Bridge wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: Virtually every job in the world the employer offers a wage and the employee chooses to accept it or not.
Why football is different is a mystery to me and nobody told me on this board why it had to be so.
The issue isn't and wasn't the one you paint it as but whether clubs should state publicly how much they are paying individual players, given how essential changing-room morale is.
Nonsense.

You really believe that dressing room morale is improved by wages being secret? Utter nonsense. Pemb's above is right Football is awash with not just money but cash. Where you have money and secrecy there is a stink that is inevitable.

Exile 1976 wrote:
pembsexile wrote:Players can choose to be represented by any person that they like. That is their choice and quite rightly so.

The only reason that agents are in the game is that because the game is awash with money. They attempt to get their players a bigger slice of the pie. Are there agents for normal jobs? Do they represent steelworkers, car workers, postmen, and office workers? Of course not. There is no money to be made for them there.

They contribute nothing at all to the game. They are parasites. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yep, actors, singers etc all have agents too...They pop up where the real money is to be made.
Yep, I had forgotten about those professions. You are quite right. Sort of reinforces my point. They contribute nothing to the acting or music industry either. Where there is money........

There are quite probably nice people amongst their crowd. However, parasites, one and all. My mantra in life is that I like to try to have a clear conscience. It’s difficult. I wonder if those ‘nice’ agents in the acting/music industry have a clear conscience. Hmmmmm.

Im sure there are scenarios where a decent agent stops a young or less well educated player being exploited by a club and being undervalued so I think they are possibly a necessary evil.

In my job there is an approx 10K wage spread amongst guys doing the same job. If we had agents I'd expect the numbers to be closer.

Perhaps players should use lawyers to negotiate contracts instead but this would be open to abuse no doubt.

sblair1979 wrote:Im sure there are scenarios where a decent agent stops a young or less well educated player being exploited by a club and being undervalued so I think they are possibly a necessary evil.

In my job there is an approx 10K wage spread amongst guys doing the same job. If we had agents I'd expect the numbers to be closer.

Perhaps players should use lawyers to negotiate contracts instead but this would be open to abuse no doubt.
I just don't see why this doesn't work. The monetary figures are for example only.

Wanted. Tier 4 Striker. Basic £15,000 pa. Bonus £250 each game played. Win bonus £150. Draw bonus £75. End of season bonus £10,000 promotion. Further Bonus for each round progressed in League/FA Cup. Initial contract 12 months, reviewed January.

And if the player wants to pay part of his wages to an agent, that's a matter between him and the agent.

pembsexile wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
pembsexile wrote:Players can choose to be represented by any person that they like. That is their choice and quite rightly so.

The only reason that agents are in the game is that because the game is awash with money. They attempt to get their players a bigger slice of the pie. Are there agents for normal jobs? Do they represent steelworkers, car workers, postmen, and office workers? Of course not. There is no money to be made for them there.

They contribute nothing at all to the game. They are parasites. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yep, actors, singers etc all have agents too...They pop up where the real money is to be made.
Yep, I had forgotten about those professions. You are quite right. Sort of reinforces my point. They contribute nothing to the acting or music industry either. Where there is money........

There are quite probably nice people amongst their crowd. However, parasites, one and all. My mantra in life is that I like to try to have a clear conscience. It’s difficult. I wonder if those ‘nice’ agents in the acting/music industry have a clear conscience. Hmmmmm.
Mine does.

Amberexile wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:

Mine does.
That probably explains why you're not a household name. :grin:

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:

Mine does.
Not in this country perhaps, but I don't expect to ever need to work again and can pick and choose my projects as I desire.

Amberexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:

Mine does.
Not in this country perhaps, but I don't expect to ever need to work again and can pick and choose my projects as I desire.
I applaud you. I have spent years trying to be the biggest smug Pr!ck on this board. But I can't get close to that response.

Hopefully there aren't too many lightweights like me among the County "faithful" but football is sort of dead to me for the foreseeable future.

Admittedly we can't really see very far Into that future, and the messages coming from Downing Street suggest they're winging it as much as the rest of us.

I've never enjoyed watching County on telly. I've not seen a moment of EPL this season. That football league show Is simply too exhausting as it tries to cram a million goals and a load of inane punditry into 55 minutes. I've a pile of unopened football magazines sat here stretching back years. It's as though I've simply gone off football.

Prior to this health crisis my mate had to more or less haul me into the car to go to games. I think maybe this break will eventually rekindle some interest, though I'm not super-hopeful.

I've been reliving past Wales international moments with my son thanks to FAW TV, S4C and BBC Wales, It is great to be able to relive games especially the away trips remembering how we felt during the games but seeing them from a different perspective and realising how comfortable we were in many of the games despite the internal "panic" on the terraces. Hopefully it wont be long before we can enjoy the next one although the Nations League matches later this year look like they may well be behind closed doors at best.